View Full Version : Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 - Where to Download Trial Version?

Tristan Howard
June 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hi everyone,

Since DVD Architect doesn't get along with my computer, I've finally decided to take the plunge and get Adobe Encore DVD 2.0 but though I've been able to find and try a trial version of 1.0, I have yet to find a place to download 2.0. All I could find on Adobe's website was the CS3 stuff, which apparently isn't available yet. If anybody knows of a website where a 2.0 trial version is located, or if a trial is even available, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tristan

Mike Meyerson
June 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
thats funny...I downloaded it 2 days ago, now it looks like they've gone to CS only...no version 2. I've heard that they aren't selling version 2 alone anymore. Kind of sucks for everyone that doesn't want to have to use premier.

George Wing
June 23rd, 2007, 07:54 AM
Which version of DVDA isn't getting along with your computer?

imho, the latest version DVDA4 has more features than Encore DVD 2.0. However, I discount Encore's integration with other Adobe products -- which might be very valuable to others who use Photoshop for all their menu work.

For the less than the cost of Encore 2.0 (if you can still find it), you might be able to upgrade to Vegas7+DVDA4...

Regards,
George

Mike Meyerson
June 23rd, 2007, 10:01 AM
George > does DVDA 4 work independently or do you have to use w/ Vegas? Can you bu just DVDA 4 by itself? Does it do CC?

I use DVDit pro6 now...and I like it when it works. It's really buggy and likes to crash. Looking for an upgrade. I edit in avid and encode in squeeze, so really only need an authoring program.

George Wing
June 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
George > does DVDA 4 work independently or do you have to use w/ Vegas? Can you bu just DVDA 4 by itself? Does it do CC?

I use DVDit pro6 now...and I like it when it works. It's really buggy and likes to crash. Looking for an upgrade. I edit in avid and encode in squeeze, so really only need an authoring program.

Well, yes and no :)

It is a standalone Authoring application. But to get the FULL version, it comes bundled with Vegas 7. They do sell a "lite" version called DVD Architect Studio for only $49 -- but it is missing some of the "Advanced" features.

The FULL version does not do CC per se. But if you feed it an mpeg file with the CC embedded properly, and when it uses your file "asis" (without re-encoding), it will author the DVD with the CC. The only problem would be that the IFO's don't say your DVD contains CC -- so using software DVD Players won't be able to toggle the CC on/off. But I believe set-top dvd players will play the CC -- you can always edit the DVD to indicate that the CC is there (using something like IFOedit). I would try it first to see if it meets your needs (Trial versions are available).

Since you are doing all your encoding externally, and only need an authoring program, I would recommend DVDLab PRO 2.x. It can also add your *.SCC file to the final DVD (as can Encore DVD 2.0).

Regards,
George

Mike Meyerson
June 23rd, 2007, 11:48 AM
thanks for the reply George...I tried a trial version of DVDlab before...I must say I was completely lost. I didn't really put a ton of time into it, but I usually can figure out software pretty quickly and I was clueless with it. (I think it was an older version...is 2 any more user friendly?)

A big client that I do a lot of authoring all of a sudden told me that all their dvd's from now on will be CC'd. So I have to look into new options...since now I use DVDit pro and it doesn't do CC.

George Wing
June 23rd, 2007, 12:23 PM
thanks for the reply George...I tried a trial version of DVDlab before...I must say I was completely lost. I didn't really put a ton of time into it, but I usually can figure out software pretty quickly and I was clueless with it. (I think it was an older version...is 2 any more user friendly?)

A big client that I do a lot of authoring all of a sudden told me that all their dvd's from now on will be CC'd. So I have to look into new options...since now I use DVDit pro and it doesn't do CC.

Hi Mike,

first, my apologies to Tristan if this is getting too much OT

"User friendly" is a relative term -- what makes sense to me might not for others, and vice versa...

DLP 2.x uses a similar interface as earlier 1.x versions -- so no gains there if that's what you are after. I will say that the first time I tried DLP, I was also a bit lost. But as I started to use it, it all began to make sense to me (I was coming from Ulead's DVD Workshop 2.x -- which I think has one of the most user-friendly interfaces).

Is your client supplying the CC file? How are they supplying them (format)? If they gave you an SCC file, did you try it in your Trial version of Encore DVD 2.0?

Regards,
George

Tristan Howard
June 23rd, 2007, 05:51 PM
George,

I tried the trial version of DVD Architect 4.0 Studio and the rascal prompted the exact same error message that was spawned by DVD Architect 3.0. No problem on the thread going off topic. I'm glad when information can be shared in a helpful way. At any rate, I finally got Encore 1.0 to burn and I guess I'll take the gamble and hope 2.0 isn't super finicky with my computer.

Regards,
Tristan

George Wing
June 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
George,

I tried the trial version of DVD Architect 4.0 Studio and the rascal prompted the exact same error message that was spawned by DVD Architect 3.0. No problem on the thread going off topic. I'm glad when information can be shared in a helpful way. At any rate, I finally got Encore 1.0 to burn and I guess I'll take the gamble and hope 2.0 isn't super finicky with my computer.

Regards,
Tristan

Hi Tristan,

Is the problem when it comes to actually burning to disc? Can you prepare the DVD Folders to your hard drive successfully? If you can prepare the DVD Folders to hard drive, you can then use external burning software to write the prepared folders (or Image file) to disc...

Regards,
George

Tristan Howard
June 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
George,

The problem is an error message that won't even let me open up the burning options window to allow file preparation. But other software will burn so that's what I'll have to go with.

Regards,
Tristan

George Wing
June 25th, 2007, 05:31 AM
George,

The problem is an error message that won't even let me open up the burning options window to allow file preparation. But other software will burn so that's what I'll have to go with.

Regards,
Tristan

There might be some conflict in your configuration/setup. Did you have a blank DVD Disc in the drive (if so, remove the blank before opening DVDA).

Another thing to remove is any "packet writing" software -- the kind that allows you to drag-and-drop to an optical drive as if it were a hard drive. Examples of this are Nero InCD, Sonic DLA, another by Roxio, etc... These can cause conflicts, so a general recommendation is to remove them from your system.

Regards,
George

Bill Mecca
June 25th, 2007, 08:35 AM
This might be coming from left field, but maybe there is an issue with the subtitle file?

I use Encore 2.0, and am a relative newbie when it comes to authoring (I don't do involved or complicated stuff) but I found Divxland Media Subtitler (free) that made taking a script and creating subtitles simple. Only issue was, it's timing mechanism used hh:mm:ss:ms and not frames so I had overlapping subtitle timecode so it dumped a ton of the titles. I found Subtitle Workshop (free) and was able to take the file from Media Subtitler, open it and save as, and that had the correct timecode format and worked like a charm.

I have no idea if that impacts on your eact issue but thought it might help spark some thought.

BTW, you can download a trial version of DVDA from Sony and see how it works. I have it at home (Vegas 6 DVDA 3) at work I use Avid and Encore.

Tristan Howard
June 25th, 2007, 01:33 PM
George,

After looking at a bunch of support info, I think the main thing that is making Architect not work right for me is having USB smartmedia reader devices on my computer. I've tried disabling some of those before but it didn't seem to help and when I disabled the USB component device, my computer became crippled since both my mouse and keyboard depend on USB (my printer does too, so this option doesn't seem too practical). Luckily, by un-plugging a USB cord and plugging it back in, I was able to re-activate the necessary drivers and get my computer to work again. In Sony's info, they keep talking about using the "unplug or eject hardware" wizard to uninstall my USB stuff. I have Windows XP and haven't really been able to find the wizard, except for once when I used some commands I found online, but the wizad didn't look very helpful. I've used "device manager" under "control panel" to modify my USB settings. Anyway, alternate software seems to be my best option as in the time I could take to try to solve the Architect problem, I could have burned several copies of my latest project on different software. I'll look into getting rid of some of the un-needed DVD software on my computer though.

Regards,
Tristan

Mike Meyerson
June 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Tristan...I found a link to download the trial of Encore 2.0. The only problem is, I don't think you can buy it anymore, they want you to buy the CS package.

http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/index.html

(there's a download link on the right).

George...I tried DVDlab pro2 and I've gotten the hang of it...seems like a good program...no gremlins which is the problem with DVDit.

Tristan Howard
June 28th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Thanks Mike. I'll have to check out that link

Mike Meyerson
June 29th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks Mike. I'll have to check out that link

honestly, try out DVDlab pro...I like it better and it's cheaper. IMO, the only reason to go with encore is if you edit with premier, than you can upgrade to the whole CS package.