View Full Version : Cleaning the HVX202 Lense causes Microscratches?

Terence Hung
June 24th, 2007, 03:03 AM
Hi guys,

Recently I worked on a project which the DP was using the HVX202, there was no 1st assistant camera on this set and we were shooting in different conditions, I figured it would be helpful if i just cleaned the lens for the DP. Which is what I did only three times over the course of two days.

I was using a Lenspen to clean, It wasn't very dirty so I didn't do much except brushing maybe one or two strokes. There were some marks that I couldn't remove as well. The shoot ended, and I got a text message informing me that the rental house said that the UV filter on the lens couldn't be cleaned or it would get scratches. And now their charging us for the 'scratches' and I'm to blame because I cleaned it?

Now how true is this? Because I've worked with the HVX202 personally as Camera operator for an entire TV series and I've never heard of this. It's not like I used dry tissue paper to rub down the lens.

Hope you guys can help me clear the air.

Thanks!

TingSern Wong
June 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Do you have any idea what brand of UV filter they use? I use only B+W UV, which is extremely "hard" - nearly impossible to scratch the coating.

If the rental house uses cheap UV filters (Kendo, Hoya, etc) - I found their coating very much softer and leaves watermarks, and scratches behind. Even cleansing the UV filter with a normal lens cloth can leave marks on the UV filter ...

I thought you meant you scratched the lens itself (from your title) - that will be terrible.

Sean Frego
June 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
I use a Lens Pen all the time on my EOS lenses, the HVX lens directly, and my B+W UV filter and have never left a single scratch on anything.

It seems to me, that if a rental house is renting something out that should not be cleaned because it is so cheap a brush will scratch it, they should let you know not to clean it before you take it out of their establishment.

TingSern Wong
June 24th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Like what I said - B+W filters are almost impossible to scratch. Great stuff.

I suspect the rental house is most likely using a "unknown" brand filter - Kendo, or even Hoya - that is extremely suspectible to scratches.

Terence Hung
June 24th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, how much would these filters cost to replace?

TingSern Wong
June 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
A cheap UV filter of diameter of 82mm is about $50 to $80. The big diameter is problematic to find locally. Most shops don't stock them - might have to order and wait. By comparison, B+W is $150 (about there).