View Full Version : Bogen / Manfrotto 561B monopod

Michael Wisniewski
June 28th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I see a few people are using this. Any feedback? Is it a keeper? Or did you trade it in for something else? How is it with a camera like the XH A1?

Kevin Dooley
July 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
I am also interested in this monopod... we have an earlier Bogen/Manfrotto monopod with fold out legs, but the legs rattled when folded in, thus making it useless for any shots with audio recording...

Is this a problem with the 560/1/2B monopods?

Gints Klimanis
July 19th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have this monopod and used it with a Sony Z1U. The legs do not rattle at all as they provide a firm grip on the floor. It works as advertised, and it completely solves the problem of the rotating the monopod in place on a grippy surface, be it a gym mat or a clean floor. I would add a cotton sock and all sorts of other contraptions that would eventually fall off or wear out.

My only issue with this monopod is that the ball in the base is a little too stiff. Primarily, this adds a large jolt when repositioning the monopod while recording, which is done to cover indoor action martial arts. The unit is not designed to help in this area, so I've switched to a better camera support - the DvMultiRig. I don't see why the ball in the base is so stiff. A dangerous by product is that uninitiated may forget and let the camera stand on the base and eventually topple over to smash into pieces.

Kevin Dooley
July 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM
2 things:

1. Is it possible to adjust the ball so that it isn't quite so stiff?

2. I assume the legs don't rattle while in use, I'm more concerned with them making noise when folded up. Do they lock in place?

Michael Wisniewski
July 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I was able to try the 561B with an XH A1 and it worked very well. It's a nice fit for that size camera. Same review as Gint, it works as advertised.

But in the end I returned. It's too much like a tripod for me. For what I do, I usually have a tripod ready, and then I switch to a monopod when the action gets mobile. The 561B was too heavy and had too many similar features to be useful in that capacity.

I ended up going with the 557B Video monopod, which is simpler, lighter, and has a skinnier pole. As a basic monopod, the 557B is also a good fit for the XH A1. The 557B comes with the same quick release plate that fits on the 701RC, 501, 503 etc. heads.

** the legs on the 561B do lock into place

Kevin Dooley
July 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks, that info helps a lot. I agree that if I have a tripod handy, I don't need a monopod that's overly like a tripod. But there are times when I only carry a monopod, and it might be useful to have some more tripod-like functionality... Maybe I'll get one of each (if I can talk the boss into it).

Gints Klimanis
July 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
2 things:

1. Is it possible to adjust the ball so that it isn't quite so stiff?

2. I assume the legs don't rattle while in use, I'm more concerned with them making noise when folded up. Do they lock in place?

1. The ball isn't so stiff as to impede any kind of panning action. It's perfect for that. The ball / leg assembly is just a little stiffer than I'd like as the legs do a ka-thump when the monopod is repositioned

2. The legs lock securely when folded up.

Gints Klimanis
July 19th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Thanks, that info helps a lot. I agree that if I have a tripod handy, I don't need a monopod that's overly like a tripod. But there are times when I only carry a monopod, and it might be useful to have some more tripod-like functionality... Maybe I'll get one of each (if I can talk the boss into it).

I don't think this monopod is like a tripod. It's still a monopod in size and weight. I see the 561B as a monopod with the rotation stick problem solved. If the monopod is too thin, it will just wiggle in oscillations when extended. The 561B is just right for anything in the Sony Vx2000/Z1 size and larger, although I agree it's too big for smaller cameras.

Denis Danatzko
July 22nd, 2007, 06:47 PM
at this site:

http://www.epinions.com/Bogen_Communication_Bogen_Manfrotto_561B_Fluid_Video_Monopod_Tripod

It doesn't mention rattling legs, but it's decently comprehensive for an amateur review.

Gints Klimanis
July 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
at this site:

http://www.epinions.com/Bogen_Communication_Bogen_Manfrotto_561B_Fluid_Video_Monopod_Tripod

It doesn't mention rattling legs, but it's decently comprehensive for an amateur review.

That's the best review I've read for that device, period.

As an owner, the legs do not rattle. Sure, it's heavier than the usual monopod of its caliber. The additional weight is for the legs and ball head in the base. If you don't plan to use this monopod for dynamic video panning, don't buy it.

Jonathan Schwartz
July 28th, 2007, 07:24 PM
I have used the 561B extensively in filming anything from Band concerts to Dance recitals. I have a 503 head mounted on top to allow more flexibility with the tilt. Just understand that it is not a tripod. You can get great shots with a small profile but only for a limited amount of time. If you need a good shot all of the time camera, this is not the device for you. So far the best uses I have for it are 1) Wedding Receptions - No more worrying about people tripping over the tripod legs 2) On stage dance recital camera - Can collapse quickly to give great down the line shots of feet. As far as adjustability. You can tighten or loosen the ball with an allen wrench. I had a slight glitch in mine when it arrived that caused a hicup when I passed a certain point. I just gave the ball a shot of WD-40 and it has worked great ever since.

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions

Piotr Wozniacki
August 29th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I'm after a monopod myself (my Manfrotto 525/503 tripod has its uses, as does the PAG Orbitor shoulder support - but none of the two is easy for transportation). Apart from the 2 models that are sort of opposite extremities in weigth (560B - 0.7kg, 561B - 2kg), there also is the 562B (1.43kg, supports up to 8kg) - don't you think this would be the best for fully equipped V1 (with the DR60 drive, the light, wa converter, etc). I mean it's lighter than the 561B, yet offers even more support. The only thing I'm not sure about is the design; are the 3 identical (i.e. with the "fluid cartridge" in the base), or do they differ? With the cartridge, is a head also essential? Which of the 3 has both, and is it worthwile?

Am I right guessing that the 561B is the heaviest of the three becasue it's the only one to actually have 2 "heads" (base and upper), along with the pan arm? If so, can it be used with a lanc controller attached to the arm?

On the other hand, already having a tripod - perhaps I'd be better off to go with a monopod as lightweigth as only possible, i.e. the 560B? Do you think it will support the fully equipped V1?
I have no experience in monopods, guys - so please forgive my questions being so basic...

Guy Cochran
November 6th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Here's a little video that gives a bit of detail. http://www.dvcreators.net/manfrotto-561b-monopod/

Mervyn Keys
November 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Just purchased 561B and did a wedding with it at the weekend. Have to say excellent. Gives a lot more flexibility and freedom of movement around the fringes of guests and the extra large height enabled me to shoot over the heads of the guests.
Fluid movement in the ball at the moment but I had a similar cheaper monopod (much lighter) and fom time to time the fluid movement became a bit creaky. WD40 did the trck and I would assume that I could do the same with the 561B.
Only problem is that when using it as an alternative to tripod, it is hands on all the time. I heard of one videographer who had an expensive crash because he trusted the three "feet" a little too much and voila...!

Erik CaPaul
March 21st, 2008, 07:42 PM
I'm torn on this one. I purchased it and like it a great deal, but I was also considering a tripod. I have a Panasonic AG-HSC1U, very small AVCHD video camera. I was hoping this would be versatile enough where I could tranfer the head to a tripod if I get one in the future. wouldnt I have more versatility if I purchased the 560B, rather than the 561B, then put a 701RC2 head on it? I know I would be doubling up on fluid pan because I would have it in the head and at the base of the monopod, but couldn't I simply lock down the pan control on the head and utilize the base when on the monopod, then if I want to transfer the head to a tripod? If I keep the 561B I'm stuck with this "modified" 701RC2, which from what I can see the modifications are that it uses a different plate and most importantly has no pan control.

Thoughts?
Erik

Paul Leung
June 22nd, 2008, 03:53 AM
I am ordering one this week at BH. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487696-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_561B_561B_Fluid_Video_Monopod.html?BI=1332&KW=&KBID=1751&img=bh_wl.gif

I know that it gets to 2m when fully extended. Does it work well at this height? I mean, can you still aim the camera effectively with the LCD?

Piotr Wozniacki
June 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I know that it gets to 2m when fully extended. Does it work well at this height? I mean, can you still aim the camera effectively with the LCD?

Yes, you can. I'm relatively short, and yet I got nice shoots of a stage performance from above standing audience's heads; you just need to twist the LCD downwards...

Oh, and a zoom controller attached to the monopod's handle helps a lot, too.

Paul Chiu
June 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
piotr,

i tried the 561B and 562B today at B&H photo/video.
wow!

the only question is whether the 561B can support the PMW-EX1 with letus and a lens.
the 561B is rated at 8.8lbs.

is that fluid head removeable?
when removed, it's the 562B and that is rated at 17.6lbs, so that's plenty.

have you used the 561B with letus and PMW-EX1? lights and shotgun too?

paul

Yes, you can. I'm relatively short, and yet I got nice shoots of a stage performance from above standing audience's heads; you just need to twist the LCD downwards...

Oh, and a zoom controller attached to the monopod's handle helps a lot, too.

Piotr Wozniacki
June 25th, 2008, 03:24 AM
Paul,

I must say I have no problems using my 561B with the complete rig - i.e. the EX1 + LEX with even the longest Canon zoom + the PAG M light + a shotgun + my Senny wireless + the Bebob Coco EX with BP-U60 battery. And the 701 "fluid" head is absolutely necessary if you are to shoot with extreme (very low or very high) monopod heights!

Michael Liebergot
July 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Just ordered the 562b today from B&H.
Looking forward to putting it through some tests, shooting with FX1's.

I used to shoot with a monopod ages ago, using the Bogen 682 (with the retractable feet that fold inside the pod shaft). And while it worked good,, I wasn't happy with the flex in the feet (although I could stand on it s won), rattle of legs in shaft when folded in for normal monopod use. And the legs were a royal pain in the a** to screw in.

So I have been using the DVMulti Rig Pro, and love it to death. The only thing I don't like about it, is using it at full zoom as I still get too much body motion for my likes.

So I decided to give monopod another try to use for wedding processionals. The combo of the 701 head (which I did use on my 682) and teh fluid base should make for a real nice combo. Plus the form factor is a little bit smaller which should help.

I actually am going to remove the handle on the 701 and place my right hand in the camera grip and use my left hand for zoom focus and adjustments. By not having the handle on the 701, I can keep the monopod closer to my body and thus avoid more camera sway.

John Gilmore
July 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Has anyone tried an EX1 on the 560B? Can it support the weight?

I'm looking for a lightweight, ultra-portable solution so maybe this is it.

Michael Liebergot
July 11th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Has anyone tried an EX1 on the 560B? Can it support the weight?

I'm looking for a lightweight, ultra-portable solution so maybe this is it.
John, I made a mistake in my post the other day, as I ordered the 561B, which has the modified Bogen 02RC head (only tilts, no pan, needed as the Bogen fluid base handles this).

If you are using the EX1, I would recommend the 561 over the 560. With an EX1 you might be at the cusp of the weight that the monopod is comfortable handling.

I am using a larger Sony camera myself, FX1 with XLR adapter, shotgun mic, wireless, and large Sony HVL-LBP LED light, and the 561 handles it just fine.

Oh and also besides using the 561B, I also use a DVMulti Rig Pro (http://dvtec.tv/id33.html) for most of my days shooting.
It can handle the weight of my camera with no problems, and my shots are smooth as silk.
I can shoot in handheld, fig rig, shoulder modes. Either with or without the 2 section support pod, which I use all of the time. You can even mount/unmount your entire rig on a tripod with the new Tripod Adapter Bracket in seconds. Or you can add a bogen QR assembly on the rig, and simply attach/remove your camera like normal to be placed on a tripod.

And best of all I have no fatigue after a 12+ hours of shooting. Well except for my feet.

The only reason that I went for a 561b monopod, was that I can't seem to get good extreme zoom shots, that I need for weeding processionals. mainly for the bridal entrance. The monopod, allows me to get this one shot more consistently with less problems.

If it wasn't for that one shot, I would use the DVMulti Rig all day long.

John Gilmore
July 22nd, 2008, 04:33 AM
Does anyone know if the modified 701 head of the 561B has the same counterbalance weighting as the 701RC2 head; that is, 1.5kg?

I have a 503HDV and the middle counterbalance weighting of 2.6kg works quite well but the lower setting of 1.5kg is way too light.

It's a shame that the 562B takes the old 375PLV plate rather than the newer 501PL plate otherwise I'd probably go for that monopod. I'm not really convinced of the need for a head, especially if the counterbalance doesn't match the load.

Michael Liebergot
July 22nd, 2008, 07:36 AM
It's a shame that the 562B takes the old 375PLV plate rather than the newer 501PL plate otherwise I'd probably go for that monopod. I'm not really convinced of the need for a head, especially if the counterbalance doesn't match the load.
John, all you have to do is pickup the 562 and replace the QR assembly with a Bogen 577 assembly. Then you have the ability to use the 501PL plate.

John Gilmore
July 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
OK great, thanks for that Michael. It sounds like it could be my best option.

So does the plate have any tilt adjustment or is it just fixed perpendicular to the tripod itself. The 560B has a lockable tilt but I can't tell if that applies to the 562B also.

Michael Liebergot
July 22nd, 2008, 08:40 AM
OK great, thanks for that Michael. It sounds like it could be my best option.

So does the plate have any tilt adjustment or is it just fixed perpendicular to the tripod itself. The 560B has a lockable tilt but I can't tell if that applies to the 562B also.

The 560B has a tilt head on it, while the 562b has just the QR assembly and plate on it, so you can't tilt the camera the 562B.

This is why I went for the 561B. It can support more weight than the 560B, and also has the modified 701RC fluid head on it. The modified 701RC has fluid dampened tilting, but no panning ability. This is what the fluid base of the monopod will do.

It really gives you some great monopod shots.
You would swear that you are on a tripod while you are shooting.
If you are after tilting ability, I would suggest moving up to the 561B, as the fluid head makes all of the difference for tilting. Especially if you have a larger camera like my Sony FX1 or even Canon A1.

I actually turn my pan handle way down on the 701 head, as I like to place my Right hand in the camera grip, and the left hand is on the camera controlling Zoom and exposure.

This way the camera is closer to my body and I can get even steadier shots. My right hand that is in the camera grip controls my panning and tilting. And my left hand is on the camera controlling zoom, and exposure.

If I am shooting higher in camera height then I will use the pan handle to control everything accordingly.

Also, the modified 701RC head uses the same QR plate as my 501HDV tripods (577 QR assembly). so swapping out is a breeze. I wish that Bogen would have also use the same QR assembly on the regular 701RC. Why they don't is a mystery to me.

John Gilmore
July 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Do you know if the head of the 561B has the same counterbalance weighting as the standard 701RC2 head?

I found the 701 too light for an EX1, have you experienced that also with the 561B?

By the way, have you seen the new 701HDV? Guess which QR assembly it uses.

Michael Liebergot
July 22nd, 2008, 09:03 AM
Do you know if the head of the 561B has the same counterbalance weighting as the standard 701RC2 head?

I found the 701 too light for an EX1, have you experienced that also with the 561B?

By the way, have you seen the new 701HDV? Guess which QR assembly it uses.
The head seems to actually be the 701HDV head, not the 701RC. Good find, I wasn't aware that Bogen had finally done this. Good for them.

Not sure about the counter balance on the head. But I find that I am able to run a fully loaded FX1 (with XLR adapter, shotgun mic, wireless, and large HVL-LBP LED light) on it with acceptable results.

John Gilmore
July 22nd, 2008, 09:24 AM
Sorry, one last question.

It looks like the 561 and 562 are essentially the same monopod except for the head/plate assembly.

Do you think it would be possible to mount a 701HDV head on a 562B monopod? After removing the existing plate of course. That would save me having two heads that are essentially the same.

Also, do you think it would be possible to mount a different monopod on the fluid base of the 561 or 562? Do you know if they sell the base separately?

Michael Liebergot
July 22nd, 2008, 09:57 AM
Sorry, one last question.

It looks like the 561 and 562 are essentially the same monopod except for the head/plate assembly.

Do you think it would be possible to mount a 701HDV head on a 562B monopod? After removing the existing plate of course. That would save me having two heads that are essentially the same.

Also, do you think it would be possible to mount a different monopod on the fluid base of the 561 or 562? Do you know if they sell the base separately?

You are correct, both monopods are the same.
So you can mount the 701RC head on the the 562.
But you will find that you will be spending more for the combo.
Also, the 702 head on it is modified so you can't pan with it only tilt.

And as for the base, it's fixed and can't be removed, and is not sold separately.

John Peterson
July 22nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
You are correct, both monopods are the same.
So you can mount the 701RC head on the the 562.
But you will find that you will be spending more for the combo.
Also, the 702 head on it is modified so you can't pan with it only tilt.

And as for the base, it's fixed and can't be removed, and is not sold separately.

I can't use the 561 with my VX2000 because it is too top heavy so I wouldn't even try putting the EX1 on it. It is designed for lightweight little camcorders.

John

Michael Liebergot
July 22nd, 2008, 06:28 PM
I can't use the 561 with my VX2000 because it is too top heavy so I wouldn't even try putting the EX1 on it. It is designed for lightweight little camcorders.

John
Sorry, really have to disagree with you there.
I use a Sony FX1 (much larger than the VX2100) with XLR box, shotgun mic, wireless receiver all mounted, and it is fine. I also will have a large Sony HVL-LBP LED light on it at times and it is still fine.

There are others in my area that use a Sony Z7 or EX1 on the 561B and they love it.

No offense, but if it's too top heavy for you, then there's something wrong with how you're operating it, or using a monopod isn't for you.

John Gilmore
August 1st, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well the Manfrotto catalogue states that the 561B will support 4kg so I'd have thought it OK for something like an EX1.

Has anyone tried an EX1 on a 560B?

On another matter, does anyone know if the 560, 561 and 562 share the same base? In particular, is the resistence from the fluid cartridge the same for each?

It's fairly obvious that the 561 and 562 are essentially the same monopod, except one has a 701 head while the other has the 357 QR plate.

The 560, on the other hand, is quite a bit smaller and weighs less than half as much as the 562. I'm interested to know if the base and fluid damping is the same as the larger models.

Roger Shealy
August 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
I have the 561B and like it very much for quick shots. My lower joint isn't quite as tight as I'd like it and if I try to tighten the screws the nuts on the bottom turn (and can't be held due to being recessed in place). I don't know if they have made it this way to prevent overtightening or what. I'd like to be able to have a little more stability. Interesting that many of you feel the bottom is too tight.

All in all, I think its a wonderful piece for mobile work. For interviews I can have on camera fixed on a tripod and use the 561 to move around for some varied shots to in incorporate during post. It's a "hands on piece" so you won't get a rest. If you laugh, sneeze, cough... it's going to show on the camera.

Michael Liebergot
August 11th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I have the 561B and like it very much for quick shots. My lower joint isn't quite as tight as I'd like it and if I try to tighten the screws the nuts on the bottom turn (and can't be held due to being recessed in place). I don't know if they have made it this way to prevent overtightening or what. I'd like to be able to have a little more stability. Interesting that many of you feel the bottom is too tight.

All in all, I think its a wonderful piece for mobile work. For interviews I can have on camera fixed on a tripod and use the 561 to move around for some varied shots to in incorporate during post. It's a "hands on piece" so you won't get a rest. If you laugh, sneeze, cough... it's going to show on the camera.

This is why I hold me breath when I shoot.
I can hold my breath for 10 minutes at a time. Not!

All kidding aside, the 561B like any monopod is made for getting the shots where a tripod won't suffice. So while it's not meant for long stationary shots (which I can actually get with this monopod), it really comes in handy during a days shoot, where I need to be mobile

I would never attempt to leave a monopod standing with a camera on it, as it just won't give yo enough support to do so. Even my older Bogen monopod with the retractable springy feet, could be left alone if needed, but could tip way too easily if bumped by accident.

Not worth the risk for me.

Dale Guthormsen
August 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
curiously,

do you think this no==monopod will support and xl2?? Was considering getting one for back packing.

Roger Shealy
August 11th, 2008, 05:04 PM
The 561 isn't exactly light weight @ 4.4 lbs. I use it with an XH-A1 and its rated to 8.8 lbs and should would work fine with a XL-2. You'll need to check with your exact configuration and calculate your weight. I imagine it would handle a bit more than 9 lbs without complaining; the small feet/legs are the weakest link.

Paul Leung
August 20th, 2008, 03:36 PM
I am ordering one this week at BH. Bogen / Manfrotto | 561B Fluid Video Monopod | 561B | B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/487696-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_561B_561B_Fluid_Video_Monopod.html?BI=1332&KW=&KBID=1751&img=bh_wl.gif)

I had mine for almost 2 months and used it in about 5 weddings. The lower part of the turning part broke off at the last ceremony... just seconds before the bride enters!

I am sure that many would like to see some close up shots of the parts and construction of the pan moving part. Here are some photos of the monopods: Manfrotto 561B - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69688300@N00/sets/72157603200399920/)

It looks like the upper part and lower part of the pan head are held by just one little taper screw inserted at the bottom of the lower part. I could not see any thread mark in the bottom hole of the upper part. I will need to send it back to Bogen for repair. What a waste of time.

Overall, my experience with the 561B has been neutral. While the extra length and the pan friction help in my filming, the friction is way too little for my XH-A1. You need to hold and turn the monopod at the post to feel the friction. If you use the pan bar, you don`t feel much friction at all and the panning will not be smooth. As the three short legs at the bottom do not really support the monopod from falling, it is there just to provide some gripping on the ground so that the panning will occur at the turning part, not at the bottom of the leg. Also, the whole thing with the head is not `light`.

Roger Shealy
August 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Paul,

Can you take a look at the tensioning screw on the base of your unit (there are three silver screws next to the ball, one is marked for tensioning). Could you see if your tensioning screw can be tightened, or does the nut on the bottom end turn in the socket.

I'd like to set mine tighter, but the nut turns and there is no way to hold it. It may be a "safety" feature to keep the unit from over tightening. I'd like to get the base a little stiffer for my XH-A1 so it would be more stable.

Paul Leung
August 20th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Could you see if your tensioning screw can be tightened, or does the nut on the bottom end turn in the socket.

I also had mine tightened. May be yours is different from mine. As you can see in this photo IMG_0401 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/69688300@N00/2781640195/in/set-72157603200399920/), there are flanges next to the nuts. So, the nuts don't turn. However, there is only so much you can tighten the screw. I tried filming with the camera self standing neutually balanced on the monopod. It worked but the camera bounce from one side to the other slightly.

Ted OMalley
September 8th, 2008, 01:24 PM
After reading about this monopod, I had to try it. I bought it last month and loved playing with it - amazing monopod!

Once my new camera arrived, an EX3, I unpacked the monopod and put them together. My camera was too heavy and now I need to sell a brand new monopod! ARGHH!

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/private-classifieds/129585-bogen-manfrotto-561b-monopod-new.html

Oh, well. It is very nice, but made for cameras up to 8.8 lbs.

Scott Hayes
September 8th, 2008, 01:52 PM
i have a 561b, and one of the feet broke off. i am waiting for replacement bottom section since they are on backorder. How heavey is a loaded up EX3? this concerns me.

Robert Bec
September 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM
Hey guys

I am using it with a Z7 and i even got the camera balancing on it's own during church ( i still have my hand around the stick just incase

What i would love is a strap for the 561 just like you would get with a tripod

Roger Shealy
September 22nd, 2008, 05:26 AM
Mine will balance my small HC3, but you'd have to really get the XH-A1 just right to balance it without holding (not that I would anyway). I must have the bottom joint tightened as much as possible because the nuts on the bottom turn within their socket. I'd like it about 25% tigher so I could lighten up on my grip to reduce the shakes.

Freddie Hoekerd
November 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Can the 561B monopod support a canon XL-H1?

Roger Shealy
November 10th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I use it with an XH-A1 all the time and it does fine. It's rated for 8.8 lbs.

Robert James
May 29th, 2011, 07:19 PM
On such high praise from folks on this forum I purchased this Monopod a few months back. I attached a strap to it so I can carry it around on my back (like a guitar) or on the side.

After some time with it I am 50/50 on my enjoyment.

I LOVE that it is nice and compact, doesn't weight much, can sit up on the shoulder for shoulder-mount usage and such.

but..

You cannot, obviously, get steady shots with it making the tilting aspect of it sort of not worth the price. Panning isn't so bad but it's wobbly for tilting. You also can't get much stillness out of those legs outside and you certainly can't trust the thing to be steady enough to keep on it's own.

I bought a Pearstone video tripod this week from B&H. It is, of course, a lot more stable and weighs about the same. Though it won't fit in a tight squeeze (although, to be honest, I haven't used it with the legs together to make a quick monopod-esq feel to the thing) the tilting and panning are not wobbly.

I a split now on weather or not to sell the monopod. I know the monopod might work better taking it out on my hikes and such but the tripod is just as light. I understand the notion of ease of use for wedding shots with the monopod but also feel the 5lbs tripod could be carted around just as well and by selling the monopod I can purchase another, set it in another location for quick change overs with the quick release plates (not to mention a few other items I could purchase [ie: LCD loop]) by getting $50-300 for the monopod.

Is there something I am missing?

What makes this thing so amazing?

Stelios Christofides
October 6th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I got my 562 monopod and really I am wondering how come I never had this before? Fantastic.

stelios

Kyle Root
June 27th, 2014, 01:40 PM
I recently bought the 561 monopod and was having a problem...I called it 'wratcheting' and it was quite annoying. I looked up the book online for the new model and it says to loosen one of the three allen screws holding that joint together.

I did so. It helped but it was still doing it some. So, I loosened the other 2 and now it's as smooth as could be.

The online instructions specifically said NOT to loosen all 3, and I can kind of see why, but that was the only way to completely free up the motion on mine.