View Full Version : Now Thats What You Can Do with a Canon XM2!!

Graham Bernard
May 20th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Read some posts here and there about our machine...

. . . . but get a load of this!

Marc is a genius! AND IMHO a real advert for the XM2.

He uses the same NLE as I - Vegas4.

Video has loads of energy and majorly excellent filming - Stand back and be blown away!

Grazie

. . . oh yeah here's the weblink:

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5819

Look towards the bottom for "marc5532" and surf to his download page!!!!

ENJOY!!!!

Grazie

Bud Kuenzli
May 20th, 2003, 01:26 PM
I don't use wmv since I won't agree to the EULA so I'm curious what you liked so much ?

Graham Bernard
May 20th, 2003, 04:12 PM
I'm curious too, as to what you actually mean .....

.... but anyways here goes:

It's a very fine piece of footage, naturally colour corrected within Vegas4 to produce the type of outside footage I like.

Bud, try seeing it on somebody elses PC?

Grazie

Frank Granovski
May 20th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Here's the direct link:

http://marc5532b.free.fr/file/

Wild! :)

Graham Bernard
May 20th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Thanks Frank!

Good init? - I didn't want to do a direct link - felt I wanted to allow people to get Marc's invitation to people first - yeah?

Grazie

Frank Granovski
May 20th, 2003, 04:29 PM
I just removed 1 step---made it easier.

Alex Knappenberger
May 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Well, I wasn't "blown away", but i'll give him props, because it did look pretty good. The only thing that was bad, was the use of the cheap transitions. He needs to stick to just fades, dissolves, and hard cuts...

Jeff Donald
May 20th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Bud, if your on a Mac and don't like Windows Media Player, there are other options for viewing .wmv files.

Dan Holly
May 20th, 2003, 11:28 PM
<<<-- Originally posted by Bud Kuenzli : I don't use wmv since I won't agree to the EULA so I'm curious what you liked so much ? -->>>

Come on Bud.....their EULA wasn't made up by some guy in Anchorage <;~)

I'm going to be up there in June for some extended stays if you want to hook up. You still need to give up your secret Grayling spot though <;~)

Joe Sacher
May 21st, 2003, 10:22 AM
<<<-- Originally posted by Alex Knappenberger : Well, I wasn't "blown away", but i'll give him props, because it did look pretty good. The only thing that was bad, was the use of the cheap transitions. He needs to stick to just fades, dissolves, and hard cuts... -->>>

Yep. My thoughts exactly. That is what makes some videos that could be really great look amateurish. There is a reason to use most of the transitions, but it is usually only 0.001% of the time. The only thing I would add to the fade, dissolves, and hard cuts list is Pixelan Spice Master transitions. Those could have looked very cool here without looking as cheezy and the transitions used.

Tustin Larson
May 21st, 2003, 10:30 AM
I think some of you are missing the point that Grazie was trying to make. He is merely stating that the "FOOTAGE itself" is great, awesome, fantastic, cool, ______ <fill in the blank>. His comment does not speak to the cutting/editing of this video. Everyones editing preference is different, but I think we can all agree that the FOOTAGE looks great!

Tustin Larson

Graham Bernard
May 21st, 2003, 10:49 AM
Tustin this is really hard - eh?

It's what this cammy can do - That's what the title alludes to. I don't think one can do this type of editing within the camera itself - that's a joke eh?

Having read another thread expressing dissapointment - I thought it would be both timely and relevant to post something that took my fancy, as a way to give those that have bought this economically priced 3CCD cammy might take a second look at what could be done. - Am I missing something?

Peace & Love

Grazie

Joe Sacher
May 21st, 2003, 12:52 PM
No, I agree that the footage looks great. We are just making other comments also. The reason I like to look at other peoples work and have other people look at mine is to critique and learn. For finished video this means many things, the camera used, the shots selected when recording, and the editing choices. All are important.

Bud Kuenzli
May 21st, 2003, 01:47 PM
if you do a search on "windows media player" eula hate

or similar terms, you'll find a lot of commentary. There is a slashdot thread discussing it at

http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/29/1254230.shtml?tid=109

Part of the eula give MS the right to disable software on your computer. Even though they may be talking about software that people should not use, they'll never get me to agree to give them the right to disable ANY software on my computer for ANY reason. the eula says, in part... As a Mac user I doubt they are going to be able to do this since I'm behind my own firewall, but I'll never agree to it, regardless. It says, in part:

Digital Rights Management (Security). You agree that in order to protect the integrity of content and software protected by digital rights management ("Secure Content"), Microsoft may provide security related updates to the OS Components that will be automatically downloaded onto your computer. These security related updates may disable your ability to copy and/or play Secure Content and use other software on your computer. If we provide such a security update, we will use reasonable efforts to post notices on a web [sic] site explaining the update.

Frank Granovski
May 21st, 2003, 04:07 PM
I thought the footage looked great.