View Full Version : Anyone ever use iPod or Zen Nano to record?

Steve Sirinides
July 10th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Hi guys, I was wondering whether anyone had ever used an iPod with Linux installed to record using a Giant Squid mic or any other mic? According to the Linux project website, the iPod accepts a microphone input with up to 16bit 96khz recording.

The other option I'm considering is hooking up my Zen Nano to the GS with a mini preamp (found here http://cgi.ebay.com/PREAMP-LINE-IN-just-PREAMP-now-connect-your-own-MIC2_W0QQitemZ260069399652QQihZ016QQcategoryZ15198QQcmdZViewItem)

I haven't gotten my GS mic yet, but before I do wanted to know if anyone had tried either of these yet. If not, I'll post back on my results.

Cary Lee
July 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
So you are doing it?

Steve Sirinides
July 10th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I'm doing it. I should be getting my GS mic tomorrow or the next day, then I'll mess around and see what works best. I was just wondering if anyone else had ever tried either of these setups before, and if they could tell a bit about their results.

Steve Sirinides
July 13th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Alright, the iPod is a negative with the GS mic. According to the Linux project website, the iPod has a built-in preamp with 1.5v of power, not enough to power to GS mic. My Rode Videomic works great on the iPod, though.

So I guess you can say the iPod is a qualified success - if you have an older iPod, you can install Linux on it and record to it as a mic or line in, provided you have enough power behind the mic. The quality is excellent, too, and it records in .wav