View Full Version : Film Group Meeting - Greater Toronto Area

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Hi,

I have access to a space... (a pottery studio actually) on Sunday & Monday nights. It's located near Vaughn Mills Mall, is reasonably large and would be a great place to meet and discuss each others projects, test out equipment, or even have screenings.

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

If you are interested, please post your interest here. If we can get a large enough group, I would love to start these gatherings sometime later this month.

Thanks.

Jiovanni

Robert Lane
July 8th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Welcome to the forum, Jiovanni,

You might find a greater response in the "These people are in your Neigborhood" category of the forum. Another resource would be Mandy.com, MeetUp.com and even Craigslist would all be great places to create a group of locals to "meet up" and share info.

Mostly the people that browse this category are looking for troubleshooting, "how to" tips, reviews etc not necessarily formimg groups outside of the forum, so the above suggestions might do well for your intent.

Alex Hatz
July 9th, 2007, 11:17 AM
i'm looking to meet up with like minded HVXers in Toronto as well.

Hi,

I have access to a space... (a pottery studio actually) on Sunday & Monday nights. It's located near Vaughn Mills Mall, is reasonably large and would be a great place to meet and discuss each others projects, test out equipment, or even have screenings.

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

If you are interested, please post your interest here. If we can get a large enough group, I would love to start these gatherings sometime later this month.

Thanks.

Jiovanni

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 10th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Robert,

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate you taking the time. I will definitely give those a try.

Jiovanni

Welcome to the forum, Jiovanni,

You might find a greater response in the "These people are in your Neigborhood" category of the forum. Another resource would be Mandy.com, MeetUp.com and even Craigslist would all be great places to create a group of locals to "meet up" and share info.

Mostly the people that browse this category are looking for troubleshooting, "how to" tips, reviews etc not necessarily formimg groups outside of the forum, so the above suggestions might do well for your intent.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 10th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Alex,

I'm still hoping we can get more people involved, but I'm glad you posted. I'll keep you informed and hope these get togethers can still happen. Thanks for being the first to show any interest.

Jiovanni

i'm looking to meet up with like minded HVXers in Toronto as well.

Ken Hodson
July 10th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I think your choice of resticting your group to only one cam could be the problem. If your interested in meeting like minded film makers, what does the cam have to do with "passion for filmmaking"?

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 11th, 2007, 06:44 AM
Ken,

That wasn't my intention at all. That's why I posted HVX/Film Group. Now that you've mentioned it though, I see how that could have been confusing. I really wanted to start a film group regardless of equipment owned. In fact, even if you don't own equipment. The only reason I posted in the HVX section was because that is what I own. Of course it would be nice to meet other HVX owners, but that certainly was not a requirement. I just wanted the opportunity for people who wanted to make films to have a chance to meet and exchange ideas and knowledge. I hope more people will show an interest now. Thanks for giving me the chance to clarify.

Jiovanni

I think your choice of resticting your group to only one cam could be the problem. If your interested in meeting like minded film makers, what does the cam have to do with "passion for filmmaking"?

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 11th, 2007, 06:48 AM
Hi,

I've just moved back from Los Angeles where I lived for 20 years. I own my own HVX200, Brevis 35mm adaptor, various nikon lens, a couple of lighting kits, a kessler crane and some audio equipment. I would love the opportunity to meet with other people who have the same passion for filmmaking that I do. I'm hoping that there is enough interest to make this a regular thing.

Thanks.

Jiovanni

Craig Irving
July 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Sounds interesting. I'd love to see how my HVR-V1U looks with a Brevis 35mm adapter. Aside from that and some sound equipment, I have some Arri lights.

Frank Pitsikalis
July 11th, 2007, 01:14 PM
I would be interested too Jiovanni.

I have a Canon A1 with M2 Adapter and use Nikon Lenses.

I have a full time gig as the head of a software company but would love to make some short films as a hobby.

I am a quick study but let me know if you would rather have members with a rich experience in film making.

Matthew Nayman
July 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hey. I am busy videographer/filmstudent in TO. I own a Canon A1, M2adaptrer and some other neat stuff. Here is my site.

www.notomatofilms.com

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 12th, 2007, 08:06 AM
It's great to see there is some interest. I think everyone could benefit from this kind of gathering. I currently have two other people on another users group who are also interested. With the three of you here, that makes 6 of us. I hope we can get more people, but I think that's a pretty good start.

I'd like to get a consensus on what night works best for people. I can get the space Mondays and Sundays. Which do you prefer? Let me know and I'll pick a date for the first meeting and get back to everyone. Thanks.

Evan C. King
July 13th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I live in Mississauga but go to uni for film in Toronto, I've got an A1 and I'm down for to help out and take part in whatever group is formed.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 13th, 2007, 05:19 PM
That's great Evan. That makes six people that have responded so far. I'm going to give it another week to see if we can get a few more people, then I'll try to get a consensus on which night works best for people. I've already had two people tell me Monday nights work best. How does everyone else feel? Sunday, or Monday?

Jiovanni

Simone Maurice
July 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hey Jiovanni,

I think we met on another board! Still interested!

Simone

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 13th, 2007, 09:32 PM
We did Simone and I haven't forgotton. I've had 6 people show interest between the two forums. That's not too bad, but I'm hoping we can get a few more. I'm going to give it another week and then I'll pick a date for the first meeting. Glad that you're still interested.

Jiovanni

Hey Jiovanni,

I think we met on another board! Still interested!

Simone

Simone Maurice
July 15th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Jiovanni,

Sure thing! It's a small world :-)

Simone

Chris Hurd
July 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Moved from P2 to Neighborhood.

Ash Greyson
July 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Anyone in Toronto want to shoot some b-roll on 7/30 and 7/31? Pay is not great but it is fairly high profile stuff that would be good on a reel. Some band promotion and a live show. Shoot me an email ASAP.

ash =o) AshG@ashVID.com

Ash Greyson
July 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Anyone in Toronto want to shoot some b-roll on 7/30 and 7/31? Pay is not great but it is fairly high profile stuff that would be good on a reel. Some band promotion and a live show. Shoot me an email ASAP.

ash =o) AshG@ashVID.com

Tom Hall
July 22nd, 2007, 10:27 AM
I am a amateur videographer kicking around with a GL1. I am also currently trying to made a 35mm adaptor out of junk parts and PVC.

Unfortunately I am located way down town Toronto so getting to Vaughn mills is a bit of a journey.

cheers

Andrew McDowell
July 22nd, 2007, 11:31 AM
hey0
Im in
I guess Im the yougin though. seeing as Im only 18, and still in highschool.
I own a xh-A1, Im currently putting together a computer and am interested in talking to like minded people and networking.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
That's great Andrew. I'm going to pick a date for the first meeting and let everyone know sometime later this week. I hope everyone who's expressed an interest can make it. Look forward to meeting you.

Tom... I understand completely about the distance, but I hope if you're free, you might consider taking the drive anyway. Thanks for posting.

Tom Hall
July 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
ha-ha, Drive?

You think someone who still uses a GL1 can afford a car?

My fiancée works up in vaughn though, so I'll have to ask her how to get there. Does the Viva bus go near the area?

cheers.

Andrew McDowell
July 23rd, 2007, 05:30 PM
ill be needing the bus info to

see ya on the bus Tom

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
Tom,

Trust me... you're not the only one with car problems. I don't own a car either, having spent a small fortune this past year on all the video equipment I now own. Right now I'm driving a borrowed hand me down my family has been kind enough to give me.

I don't know if the Viva bus goes by there, but I will try to find out. The fact that you don't have transportation and are still considering coming out makes you exactly the kind of person I would like to have involved. By the way, what part of town do you live in? Maybe we can get you a ride?

ha-ha, Drive?

You think someone who still uses a GL1 can afford a car?

My fiancée works up in vaughn though, so I'll have to ask her how to get there. Does the Viva bus go near the area?

cheers.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 23rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
Andrew,

What part of town would you be coming from? I'll see what I can find out for you as well.

ill be needing the bus info to

see ya on the bus Tom

Tom Hall
July 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
http://www.vaughanmills.com/static/node1869.jsp

Vaughan Mills Mall has directions to itself, doesn't seem to mention viva at all though. (in regards to downsview station, it mentions it briefly from the finch route)

From the South: YRT bus #360 north from Yorkdale Mall to Entry 3 Vaughan Mills. YRT bus #20 north from York University to Entry 3 Vaughan Mills. From Downsview Station you can take TTC bus 107 North to Rutherford Station. Then take YRT bus #85 west along Rutherford Road. Drop off at YRT terminal at Entry 3 Vaughan Mills. From Finch Station either take YRT #99 north to Carville Road/16th avenue or take VIVA blue to Carville Road/16th avenue. Then take YRT bus #85 west along Rutherford Road. Drop off at YRT terminal at Entry 3 Vaughan Mills.

I am personally down in parkdale/liberty village area right against the gardiner. Furtherest point it seems.

Andrew McDowell
July 24th, 2007, 05:19 PM
scarborough and I know how to get to vaughan mills mall

Lloyd Choi
July 25th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Count me in.

I live in the Eastern part of Toronto and would love to join you guys.

Anyway to meet in the middle somewhere between vaughan mills mall and downtown? :)

Jiovanni Iacoviello
July 28th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hi everyone.

I've set Monday August 13, 2007 as the night for the first meeting. If you are still interested in attending, please email me at:

classserver@yahoo.com

I'll be able to get a headcount and I'll email you the address/details of the meeting.

Hope you can all attend. It would be great to make it a regular event.

Thanks.

Jiovanni

Tom Hall
July 28th, 2007, 07:05 PM
any news on a carpool?

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 9th, 2007, 05:34 AM
Hi everyone,

The meeting is definitely taking place this upcoming Monday Aug. 13 at 7pm. I will be bringing my HVX200 and Brevis 35mm adaptor for anyone who is interested in taking a look. Since this is just the first meeting, there won't be any specific agenda, but instead will be more of an opportunity for all to meet and for me to gage how much interest there is for future gatherings. If there's enough interest, and I'm hoping there will be, I would absolutely like to make this a regular thing. Future meetings would include screenings, testing of equipment (I've got a new green screen and small crane I'd like to play with) and of course, discussion of each others projects and how the collective might be able to help.

The location I have access to is very comfortable and low key. I think it's a perfect place for us to hang out, have a pizza, discuss film. If you've emailed me already to confirm, I will be emailing you back with the exact address of the meeting. If you have not emailed me yet, please send me a note at:

classserver@yahoo.com

I love film and am very serious about meeting like-minded people. If you are the same, I hope that you can make it.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Jiovanni

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
any news on a carpool?

Tom,

There may be someone coming up from the harborfront area. If you're still interested in coming, I can ask him if he could give you a ride. Let me know.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 13th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Just wanted to remind everyone that the meeting is still taking place tonight. I look forward to seeing everyone. If you haven't yet emailed me for info, there's still time.

classserver@yahoo.com

Jiovanni

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Just wanted to report that our first meeting last night went really really well. Everyone had a great time and we've all agreed that we should make this a regular thing.

Our next meeting will be Monday Aug. 20 @ 7PM. I look forward to see all of you who made it to the first meeting again, and hopefully some new faces as well. If you're interested in coming, email me at:

classserver@yahoo.com

I'll email you back info.

Thanks to all who came out. See you all next Monday.

Jiovanni

PS - I'll be typing up that contact list for all who attended and getting it out today, or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Ryan Dever
August 14th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I would be interested in attending the next meeting. I live in Markham and own a Canon XL-2.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 14th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Ryan,

Email me directly so I can email you back the details. Look forward to meeting you.

classserver@yahoo.com

Jiovanni

I would be interested in attending the next meeting. I live in Markham and own a Canon XL-2.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 22nd, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi,

We began a film group three weeks ago and it has been a huge success. We've already had two Monday night meetings and will be having another this upcoming Monday Aug 27 at 7PM.

It's located near Vaughn Mills Mall and is a great place to meet and discuss each others projects, test out equipment, or even have screenings.

I have been bringing my Brevis 35mm adaptor and nikon lenses, plus the cinevate rails and mattebox for all to see. Last week I also brought my kessler crane for everyone to try out.

The location I have access to is very comfortable and low key. I think it's a perfect place for us to hang out, have a pizza, discuss film.

If you're interested, please send me a note at:

classserver@yahoo.com

I'll email everyone back with the exact address.

I love film and am very serious about meeting like-minded people. If you are the same, I hope that you can make it.

Look forward to meeting everyone.

Jiovanni

Tom Hall
August 22nd, 2007, 10:12 PM
interested maybe if there is a carpool.

Cheers.

Jiovanni Iacoviello
August 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM
Tom,

There is someone coming up from the Harborfront that said they could probably give you a lift. If you'll email me at:

classserver@yahoo.com

I'll email you his contact number and you guys can work something out. Hope you can make it. We've had good turnouts and I think you'll enjoy it.

Jiovanni

Steve Baker
July 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hey guys,.. just found this recently. Is this group still meeting? Still getting together and doing stuff? I tried emailing to the posted address, but am getting nothing back. I'm in the area and curious about it.

Steve Baker
July 25th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Ok,.. well, I'll take the silence as a "No, the group is not in existance any more, and do not get together any more either." :-)