View Full Version : How to capture realtime video from a medical device?

Greg Joyce
July 17th, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'm making a training video for my company to show how to use a medical device (made up of a computer, touch screen and handheld wand) that scans teeth. I'll have a camera on the instructor, but I also want to get real-time video directly off the device. I'll edit the two video sources later in Final Cut Pro.

The device has a DVI connection. The image it captures is 1280 x 1024 and is 30 fps. How do I capture this video in hidef?

Can I capture directly to a PC? Do I need both a capture card and a scan converter? If so, any recommendations as to brand/model/where to rent or buy in the Boston area?

Thanks! And mods, please feel free to relocate this query.

Adam Bauser
July 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
I'm sure there are several hi-tech methods using that DVI out, but you could try just pointing a camera at the screen. If you don't get a bunch of scan-line-rolling, that's by far the easiest way. I've done this a few times with med devices like ultrasounds and been fairly pleased with the results.

Martin Smith
July 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Windows media encoder will do it for you, but my guess is you are running a mac???

Greg Joyce
July 25th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Right now I'm looking into these as possibilities:

http://www.epiphan.com/products/product.php?pid=23

http://www.doremilabs.com/products/HDVI-20.htm

Using a camera is a possibility I've considered but 1) I've only got one camera and I need to focus that on the talent while simultaneously capturing the output of the screen on the medical (actually dental) device, and 2) I'm concerned the image from a camera will not be as clean as what I can get directly by hard-wiring the device.

We'll be capturing the output of the screen a lot--it's training on how to use the device after all--so a frame grabber SEEMS to make the most sense.

But I'll entertain all possible solutions.

And BTW, the device is on a Linux box, not PC or Mac.