View Full Version : Different Aspect Ratios

Ron Anderson
July 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
I am editing a photo montage for a 1st birthday party. The project is standard DV aspect ratio and the client has given me a 2 min clip she wants added into the project that is widescreen. I wanted to ask for opinions on the best way to incorporate this new clip into the project. Thanks in advance for any input.

Aloha,
Ron

Guy Bruner
July 21st, 2007, 03:48 PM
I would leave the main project at 4:3 and letterbox the widescreen. Basically, just drop it on the timeline and Vegas will letterbox it.

Ron Anderson
July 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM
Thanks Guy,

I agree. That sounds like the most reasonable thing. Maybe I will mask out the upper and lower black letterbox areas and place the video on top of a background. Maybe something that does not distract from the video. Thanks for your reply.

Aloha,
Ron

Steven Bills
July 22nd, 2007, 05:34 PM
Or you could use the event pan/crop and make the 16:9 footage into 4:3, and then do a pan and scan, just on that clip.

Just a thought.

SB

Bill Watson
July 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah.

If viable, I'd crop the widescreen to 4:3.

Ron Anderson
July 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
SB,

Forgive me, but I am not sure I understand what you mean by "scan". Is it another reference for pan? Could you set me straight:)

Aloha,
Ron

Emre Safak
July 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Pan and scan refers to the technique of selectively cropping to leave a smaller clip with the most important part of the original.

Steven Bills
July 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah, just keyframe the movement of the 4:3 frame to see what is going on inside the 16:9 frame.

SB

Ron Anderson
July 24th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Got you loud and clear. I thought that might what you were referring to, but wasn't sure. Thanks everyone for your responses. Very helpful as usual.

Aloha,
Ron