DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   I have heard there will be a new release (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/123480-i-have-heard-there-will-new-release.html)

Robert Bec June 11th, 2008 01:05 AM

I have heard there will be a new release

Hi Guys

Jvc will be releasing a new camera in september 2/3 chip 3CCD and very good in low light. It will look the same or very similar to the current shape.

Rob

Liam Hall June 11th, 2008 01:52 AM

Who's your source?

Tim Dashwood June 11th, 2008 01:53 AM

It's very unlikely JVC would release a new Pro camera in September. They have traditionally announced new Pro products at NAB in April.

Robert Bec June 11th, 2008 02:42 AM

Apparently Sony will be releasing a new camera around that time which will be handheld extremly good in low light and the best thing CCD's not CMOS,
that is why JVC want to get in before they release

I found out from a rep i wanted to buy a GY-251 and was told to wait till sept.

Jack Zhang June 11th, 2008 03:51 AM

CCDs? Better be a small format cam like the Z1U/V1U and Z7U series. It'd still be same 'ol if it's a ENG cam.

Glen Vandermolen June 11th, 2008 01:52 PM

If this is true, I take it the camera won't be an HDV type. Why would you want to build a 2/3" HDV camera? Might as well go full HD at that point, or at least be similar to the XDCAM series at 35mbps. It would also have to be more expensive than the HD200 line, don't you think? Certainly bigger in scale, with 2/3" chips and ensuing lenses. Then you're getting into the true broadcast range.
And what camera is Sony releasing? They're just coming out with the EX3 and PDW700. I would think that would be enough for now.

Rene Rodriguez June 13th, 2008 03:42 PM

2004 JVC article on 2/3 inch chip HDV Camcorder

JVC Displays 3 CCD HDV ENG Camcorder at NAB
by Tony Fonseca

Published on Apr 20, 2004 12:00 AM

JVC is displaying their widely anticipated professional HDV solution at this year's National Association of Broadcasters conference at their booth. The 2/3 inch 3 chip camera is a full body ENG/EFP style model that attempts to plug the gap between cameras such as Sony's CineAlta and JVC's own consumer GR-HD1, and as the JVC marketing campaign says provide 'Affordable HD'.
A far cry form the GR-HD1, the new camera from JVC features three Pro Cam HD CMOS sensors developed by Rockwell and new subsidiary AltaSens. CMOS chips have been employed in high-end digital still cameras, but not in EFP style video cameras up to this point. The CMOS sensors consume less energy than CCDs of an equivalent size. Interestingly, CMOS sensors transmit charge for each individual pixel as apposed to CCDs, which store a collective charge and release it all at once. This difference allows CMOS sensors to be flexible and have varying scan rates up to 60 progressive frames per second. While JVC has not announced the ability to over crank the camera, the AltaSens ProCamHD 3560 CMOS sensor is capable of this. The camera CCDs have a a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and are adaptable to different scan rates including 720P and 1080i, however JVC would not disclose what resolutions the camcorderwould record at. The new camera supports 24 frames progressive recodring. This camcorder is technically the first HDV camcorder on the market.

Affordable HD has been a buzzword for quite some time and JVC employs this phrase to describe their new corporate mentality. As mentioned in previous articles, many expected Sony's new HDV camera to steal the show and signal the grand arrival of the format. Surprisingly, Sony's US unveiling of their HDV prototype did not bring much new news and Panasonic and Sony devoted the bulk of their attention to their respective non-linear media formats, XDCAM and P2. Although many were anticipating a rush of HDV camcorders from Panasonic, Sony, Canon and JVC, this JVC model is the only one that is anything close to production.

JVC continues to separate themselves from the fray by whole heartedly pursuing the HDV solution, which they invented. JVC's HDV marketing strategy relies on the answer to the following question. If the buyer is planning on upgrading their personal equipment or a facility, and high definition video is within reach for the approximate coast of standard definition systems such as Sony's XDCAM and Panasonic's P2, would the buyer choose the HDV solution? This question is currently unanswered but will surely be at the crux of HDV's survival and acceptance.

The new media solutions offered by Sony and Panasonic are squarely targeted at the ENG (Electronic News Gathering) market. XDCAM and P2 offer enhanced turn around of recorded media that is particularly important to news networks. At the current time, XDCAM and P2 are SD only solutions, which means that HDV is not part of the equation. Filmmakers certainly benefit from improved workflow but not the same way as news networks. So although JVC's new HDV camcorder has been billed as an ENG/EFP camera, it's pretty clear that news networks will answer the crucial question by purchasing workflow solutions rather than HDV cameras.

JVC would not disclose pricing or availability information on the camcorder, however in an earlier story it was reported that the JVC camcorder will sell for around $20,000. Dave Walton, a JVC spokesman also emphasized that this might not be JVC's next HDV camcorder, that another model may come before it, and this is just one of the many HDV projects they are working on.

Glen Vandermolen June 13th, 2008 04:01 PM

This story is dated 2004. Sounds like this camera was DOA.

Rene Rodriguez June 13th, 2008 04:13 PM

JVC 2/3 inch chips

This camera was discussed here during that time too. Here's a link.

http://dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-36088.html

I don't think this camcorder would make it at $20,000. If one has that kind of money then maybe what panasonic or sony has to offer might be a better way to go.

Glen Vandermolen June 16th, 2008 09:40 AM

I went to NAB in 2005 and if I remember correctly, JVC had a prototype of a 2/3" HD camera on display. I never heard anything about it since, so I assumed it was a dead end project.

Until I see otherwise, I'm not holding my breath.