DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   FCS 3... anyone care to guess? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/235646-fcs-3-anyone-care-guess.html)

Geoff Murrin March 20th, 2009 08:37 AM

How about Final Cut Express?
 
I would be happy with a new version of FCE with 24p support and native avchd support. 24p is now in what, a gazillion avchd consumer cams? Why not release FCE to support those cameras?

Harrison Murchison March 20th, 2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Murrin (Post 1030745)
I would be happy with a new version of FCE with 24p support and native avchd support. 24p is now in what, a gazillion avchd consumer cams? Why not release FCE to support those cameras?

Because of the incredulity of spending in inordinate amount of programming effort in a $1200 software suite to support $599 camera with quasi 24p hackjob support.

Trying to efficiently edit AVCHD makes about as much sense as replacing a sledghammer with your head to knock down a wall.

Geoff Murrin March 20th, 2009 10:26 AM

Seeing as how Sony seems to be covering these bases with vegas Pro 8. It has 24p and avchd support, all for $549.95. I can imagine/dream/hope that Apple would answer back with similar FCE support.

And really, all the leg work is probably being done for the rumored new version Final Cut Pro for 24p and I assume avchd, then FCE shouldn't be a problem. Of course imacs may not be powerful enough for native avchd support so that means buying a more expensive mac tower.

Geoff Murrin March 20th, 2009 10:31 AM

And yes, i realize fce doesn't natively support hdv at this moment. But seeing as how both hdv and avchd are considered consumer codecs first and foremost, I would think that a the prosumer FCE should be able to support it.

Harrison Murchison March 20th, 2009 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Murrin (Post 1030796)
Seeing as how Sony seems to be covering these bases with vegas Pro 8. It has 24p and avchd support, all for $549.95. I can imagine/dream/hope that Apple would answer back with similar FCE support.

And really, all the leg work is probably being done for the rumored new version Final Cut Pro for 24p and I assume avchd, then FCE shouldn't be a problem. Of course imacs may not be powerful enough for native avchd support so that means buying a more expensive mac tower.

Yeah I know FCS3 has to offer a decent set of tools for working with AVCHD because the Japanese hegemony behind the format is strong. Though with the advent of fast NAND memory and huge cards. It's about time to go back to a codec that is aimed at editing. 50Mbps is cake now for the fastest CF cards and with SDXC supporting 100MBps datarates I hope something is in development. I like the quality of AVCHD but let's move to something the gives us more coloring latitude and easier editing (stepping off soapbox)

I'm going to need AVCHD support because dollars to donutes my next camera is likely to support it. If transcoding gives me some benefits I'll look at that but the benefits will have to outweight the transcode times.

Shaun Roemich March 20th, 2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Murrin (Post 1030745)
I would be happy with a new version of FCE with 24p support and native avchd support. 24p is now in what, a gazillion avchd consumer cams? Why not release FCE to support those cameras?

Because FCE is SUPPOSED to be Final Cut LITE. It piggybacks off the R&D done on FCP for people who require a lesser infrastructure. My UPGRADE costs 4 times what your outright purchase price does. If Apple wanted to pursue iMovie Prosumer, I'd be all over them providing whatever support they want to to it. As long as FCE is a derivative work of FCP, let's keep the pros happy first. Or the folks that are willing to shell out the cost to buy FCS (and I'm sure there are an awful lot of FCS suites out there that AREN'T running legitimately...) <gets down off soapbox>

Shaun Roemich March 28th, 2009 08:56 AM

Further Speculation...
 
Ripple Training is offering 30% off their FCS DVDs... Hmmmm... sound like PERHAPS they know something about the life expectancy of tools aimed at FCS2? Just more fuel for the fire...

David Knaggs March 29th, 2009 05:58 AM

I suspect Ripple are clearing their DVD inventory so that they can deliver their product purely as downloaded "iTunes editions" in future. That was the impression I got.

Shaun Roemich March 29th, 2009 07:52 AM

Interesting. I read it as getting rid of "soon to be obsolete" hard copies as downloadable content can be updated at any time. We shall see...

David Knaggs March 29th, 2009 04:48 PM

Good point, Shaun.

Ivan Snoeckx April 22nd, 2009 05:14 AM

Any news or new rumours on Final Cut Studio 3 from NAB's floor?

Hans Ledel April 22nd, 2009 08:05 AM

Have a look at this

Pro Apps and MacBooks to see update at WWDC | 9 to 5 Mac

Ivan Snoeckx April 22nd, 2009 08:41 AM

Thanks Hans!

I also just found that link. ;-)

Paulo Teixeira April 22nd, 2009 09:51 AM

Without native AVCHD support and/or Blu-Ray support, I won't consider Final Cut Studio 3 a significant upgrade. They will continue to loose some market share to Adobe if they keep this up.

Barry J. Anwender April 24th, 2009 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 1124374)
Without native AVCHD support and/or Blu-Ray support, I won't consider Final Cut Studio 3 a significant upgrade. They will continue to loose some market share to Adobe if they keep this up.

I expect that Apple is readying FCS 3 to work with Snow Leopard technologies like OpenCL for improved HD encoding times as well as a totally new ground-up build of QuickTime that should support Blu-ray playback etc. That is the hope.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:30 AM.

DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2021 The Digital Video Information Network