DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   new imovie with 16:9 hdv support (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/37099-new-imovie-16-9-hdv-support.html)

Kurth Bousman December 30th, 2004 09:11 PM

new imovie with 16:9 hdv support

that's what's being reported at macrumors along with a new ilife and a monitorless imac for jan '05 . I'd probably guess that hdv fcp and fcx is just around the corner and , hey , imovie with 16:9 is pretty cool too ! Kurth

--------

Moderator note:

I've moved this to "Area 51" since it's merely rumor/speculation. But it certainly does sound tantalizing :-)

-Boyd

Kurth Bousman December 31st, 2004 02:58 PM

hey wranglers!! you moved me to Area 51 - come on !! I also heard the new mac announced on cnn today - you guys get a grip on the news - these kinds of tactics only make us look retarded- Kurth

Boyd Ostroff December 31st, 2004 06:41 PM

Hi Kurth,

It has always been our policy to only discuss actual products in the regular forums and not rumors. Area 51 was created so people could speculate on future products, and that's why I moved your post here. We can certainly discuss it as much as you like right here.

Do you have a link to a the "announcement" of a new Mac on CNN? A search turned up this story dated 12/31/04 "Lower-priced iMac in '05?". It is certainly not an announcement, it's a quote from Gene Munster at Piper Jaffray who said "We believe that it is not out of the question that Apple would try to capitalize on this opportunity with a more widely accessible product." The story also said that Apple made no comment regarding such speculation.

I'm sure Apple will have plenty of great things to look forward to, and as a shareholder I salute their remarkable performance during 2004. Happy New Year to all!

Chris Hurd December 31st, 2004 07:20 PM

Kurth, you should be grateful that we even have an Area 51 in which to put these threads! Our policy has always been that "news" of any sort must be backed up by a legitimate news source (and not a rumor source). Call me caustic, but I wouldn't consider CNN as being a legitimate news source. Yeah, I guess I'm just that jaded... at any rate, moving your thread here is not a "tactic" and it wasn't done to make you (or anybody else) look "stupid" -- it was moved here because that's what we do with all posted rumors. It's called a policy. Sure beats our former practice of "making rumors go away," doesn't it? Heh.

;-)

Kurth Bousman January 1st, 2005 05:34 PM

Chris and Boyd - You notice I said " us " , not wanting to make this personal at all. But I believe there's a fine line being drawn here - when a product is only previewed in balsawood form at nab or wherever there's a ton of speculation done . Only witness the threads about the xl2 and the fx1 or the new jvc hdv . You guys know Apples' policy ( and by the way Boyd , I'm an appleshareholder too - but it might be time to sell !! ) about future products . I , for one , consider their policy bordering on paranoia. Before I used to read the apple rumor sites , I bought my first g3 running fcp 1. Within 2 weeks apple released the g4 and fcp 2 was not far in the future. That's when I learned , when dealing with Apple , READ the rumor sites . Of course that's exactly what they don't want you to do - it ruins their inventory for us to have forwarning. Chris , concerning the "area 51 " ruling , it's just that it marginalizes the topic and we could have the discussion with more people and more relevance . I, for one , hardly ever read area 51 just for that very reason. I mean it does say "area 51" ! And come on Chris , you don't consider cnn a legitimate news source ?
OK , enough beating the dog , what do you guys think about imovie with 16:9 ?
And Chris , now that I've got your ear , how's the weather in San Marcos - my brother lives there and I'm originally from Austin. You guys stay warm. Kurth

Murad Toor January 3rd, 2005 06:53 PM

16:9 in iMovie is long overdue, especially considering that "squeeze" mode in consumer camcorders gives substandard results.

It makes perfect sense to give this low-quality (but high value) feature to moms and dads everywhere. Soccer games and baby's first steps will look nicer, composed in a 16:9 frame.

A side benefit is it'll make quick and dirty professional work super easy. No, on second thought it's already easy enough to use Final Cut Pro for quick and dirty edits, and batch capture alone saves lots of time. The real advantage will be when iDVD gets 16:9 support, which it must at the same time as iMovie because the two go together. Then throwing demo reels out the door (where the focus is the shooting and editing and not DVD authoring) will be so much easier.