FCS going prosumer? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old May 18th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCS going prosumer?

Well, guys, this is it:

AppleInsider | Apple scaling Final Cut Studio apps to fit prosumers

Bummer.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:07 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Right, and according to Steve Jobs the next FCS would "be amazing" according to that posted report a month ago.

I guess it's not totally suprising, this is exactly what insiders and people like myself have been surmising, that Apple is indeed scaling back true "pro" apps to go more after the "i-consumer" market.

That's fine, "i-hope" Apple makes tons of dough on the effort. As far as the future for companies like mine and our monies invested with Apple products? I've got a new app for that, it's called "i-Don't Think So".
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Trustee

Wow! Bummer 'cause I'm really fast with FCS. At least my upgrade to Adobe CS5 Production Premium will include Premier! Time to learn another platform! AND I might have to sell my stock!
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Trustee

If this is true (does this belong in Area 51?), this has got to be making everyone at Avid happy.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sure glad now that I stuck with FCP for 10 years. I'm not that great at figuring out new programs. I can't believe they're doing this.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Remember this is all just Rumors and your current FCS3 will still work for years to come.
Trevor Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

FCP is a powerful program that has a learning curve, steep for some not, so bad for others.. Apple spends a decent amount of time publicizing professional use of the program and they make a lot of money with it. Why, when Apple is doing great financially, would they abandon it? Crazy things happen I admit but that seems a bit too crazy.

Sounds likely that FCE is getting some change to make it better than iMovie but less cumbersome to "prosumers" who don't like the FCP learning curve. Who knows? IMovie has some nifty tricks that would be nice in Final Cut but I couldn't imagine editing anything substantial in it. I recommend less panic, download Premier CS5 test run to experience the competition (try the new Media100 as well) and wait to make a drastic decision unless you are rolling in dough and free time. My two cents, right now Premier has the processing power down better than FCP but the interface is harder to work with, AVID still is the best in the interface and media management department. AVID is probably the way I would go if hell froze over and Apple abandoned FCP. I don't expect that anytime soon.

I would also recommend reading the entire AppleInsider article. The end of it is very positive about the ProApps in general.
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:36 PM   #8
MPS Digital Studios

I have a feeling Apple, who sells far more copies of Final Cut Express, may do it to that program. Who knows?

Rumors, of course. Let's hope it's nothing too radical. I've been on FCP since late 1999.

Heath
Old May 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

FCP is due for a facelift modernize the interface (flatter control buttons, resolution independent graphics, etc).
Trevor Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Major Player

Hmmmmm......looks like Area 51 material to me.....being as it IS from a rumor site.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:05 PM   #11
MPS Digital Studios

Well, it is. They tweaked the interface a bit in 2003 for FCP 4, and that's been the UI for 7 years now... I'm optimistic!

heath
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #12
Inner Circle

It would be no bad thing to incorporate some of the great features of iMovie '09 into FCP. The way that one can scrub through vast numbers of clips & the Media Manager functions of iMovie along with very fast editing functions are great. Ken Stone has a nice review iMovie 09
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #13
Inner Circle

My personal take on this: Keep working with what I got.

If it suddenly takes a turn where it doesn't do what I need to get the job done, then find something else.

Worrying about things are beyond my control isn't going to help me in what I'm doing.
Old May 19th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #14
Major Player

This make sense

The present and future of post production business and technology Why Apple Insider couldn’t be more wrong!

dumbing down isn't what Apple does.
Harrison Murchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #15
Wrangler

There are only two types of professional tools: tools that are so simple & elegant that it's a no-brainer why paid professionals use them and tools that are so complicated only a paid professional would put up with them. FCP has been and continues to be both, and I have no doubt the future version of FCP will be the same.

As for the word "prosumer", if you put any stock in that word at all, I've got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn I'd like to sell ya.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51