DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Where Do They Get These People? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/494702-where-do-they-get-these-people.html)

Charles Newcomb April 17th, 2011 05:48 PM

Where Do They Get These People?

So I was in Best Buy the other day looking at toys. While there, I stopped at the camera department because I've been pondering buying a 60D or a 7D. They had both in stock, so I was able to compare the two.

The the sales guy stepped into the picture. He asked which I was leaning toward buying, and why. I told him I was leaning toward the 60D and that I would use it for stills and video, primarily video. "Oh," he said while thumbing over his shoulder. "Then you probably want a camcorder instead. You can take stills with some of them."

Here's some other jewels he uttered...

1. You can't change the aperture on the 60D, but you set the F-stops in the menu.

2. There's no need to white balance with digital cameras.

3. Not many people know Canon and Sony are the same company.

Anyway, I resisted asking him if it hurt to be that dumb and drove home.

I ordered the 60D, two lenses and some other stuff online. No way I was going to let that rocket scientist sell it to me.

Jon Fairhurst April 17th, 2011 06:51 PM

Re: Where Do They Get These People?

#3 is true. VERY few people know that. ;)

Don Bloom April 17th, 2011 08:28 PM

Well 1st of all the new company name (I heard thru the very reliable grapevine) is to be Sanon! They did consider Cony but were afraid people would get confused with Coney Island. (most the people that worked at Best Buy I guess)

As for the rest, sigh....These could be the future leaders of our country. Be afraid, be very afraid!

O|O
|--|

Charles Newcomb April 17th, 2011 08:38 PM

You know what I just thought of and it scared the beegeepers out of me?

This guy probably drives; and maybe he votes.

Bob Hart April 17th, 2011 08:59 PM

Don. I hope you will forgive me this indulgence as an Aussie -

QUOTE - "As for the rest, sigh....These could be the future leaders of our country." --- They already were, weren't they? (Bush, Rumsfeld, Libby etc..)

Charles. I saw your vid as linked from Zoetrope. Their forum seems to have been a bit glitchy of late and my posts there no longer always "take", so there is no response from me there.

I enjoyed the story. Dialogue audio was a bit low in one spot. It is a topic well worth the doing.

How are the foxes? A possum startled the crap out of me when I was walking into the verander the other night. It was on the rondalecia trunk, in the dark and shoved its face out at me at head-height as I passed by. - It showed no fear so must be someone's pet. It has now found its way into the roof space which makes it a bit of a pest. They tear up the roof insulation. The ceilings in my place are the old strapped horsehair reinforced plasterboard, which they like to rake the fibres out of for a bit of a nest.

There's one up at the high school which wanders about in the open roof trusses of the big verander in front of the canteen, where the students sit and have their lunches.

We are lucky up here on the hill to still have our wildlife nearby.

Charles Newcomb April 17th, 2011 09:30 PM

G'day, Bob:

Funny you should ask about the fox... she just debuted this year's kits yesterday afternoon. Looks like 5 this year, compared to 6 last year. Most fox litters don't have a high survival rate, but these kits' mother is spoiled rotten. All 6 survived last year. I suspect the lot will this year, too.

I'll take foxes over possums any day. Possums have a really nasty temperment and they remind me of my first wife, frankly.

Got some fox baby video with the EX3 today. She let me get within five meters of the den opening, so it's good stuff. I'm anxious to get some shots with the new 60D I've got coming. I'll put it on Vimeo and give you a heads-up when I do.

Chris Hurd April 17th, 2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Newcomb (Post 1640107)
3. Not many people know Canon and Sony are the same company.

Smokescreen. We revealed the Canon - Panasonic merger earlier this year:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...-its-true.html

Bob Hart April 18th, 2011 09:39 AM

Chris.

Does that mean, that JVC, Panasonic, Canon, Sony are all one congomerate?

Charles.

Our possums are generally a bit better tempered but sometimes can be a bit savage.

When there was a fire looming near a few months ago, around twilight, I was damping the jarrah trunks so any floor fire would not run up into the canopy.

The firejet I have on the hose was pointing up into the canopy. It got a big male possum in the dot and lifted him or he sprang from the shock of it. He came down into a big camelia, jumped across to the jarrah and climbed up hissing and swearing as he went.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwzVsa7oGuA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6EqCTdNNzw&NR=1

Allan Barnwell April 18th, 2011 01:47 PM

Being a reseller myself - I have to admit that I feel for this guy.

Not that I'm promoting purchasing your equipment from Best Buy, seeing as there are actual value-added resellers like us out there - unless you consider humor the value-add in this particular case.

I like to think that I know what I'm talking about when I recommend specific equipment to my customers. Occasionally, I do have to admit that I'm not an expert in certain areas and defer to other sources.

I do think this guy knows something about Canon and Sony we don't. If they get shaken up much further in Japan, all these manufacturers' products may have to come out of the same factory.

But seriously, I do like to point out that finding resellers that do more than push the boxes around are worth rewarding with your business.

Allan Barnwell
Omega Broadcast Group - Professional Video Sales, Rental & Services

Oren Arieli April 18th, 2011 04:50 PM

I always assumed that Canon was in bed with Olympus and birthed a company named (wait for it):

Canopus.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Chris Hurd April 18th, 2011 05:00 PM

Oren for the win -- well done!