DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   NEX-VG900 Full-frame Sony Video Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/510208-nex-vg900-full-frame-sony-video-camera.html)

Todd Clark August 24th, 2012 07:43 AM

NEX-VG900 Full-frame Sony Video Camera

The photo at the top of the article is just a place holder until the new one is reviewed.

Werner Graf August 24th, 2012 08:19 AM

Re: NEX-VG900 Full-frame Sony Video Camera

Not only Filmmakers can not belive this price...

Chris Joy August 24th, 2012 01:41 PM

I have a difficult time believing a FF camcorder will be cheaper than a FS100 - or basically the same price as the rumored A99 FF SLR that's supposedly coming.

Chris Barcellos August 24th, 2012 02:27 PM

Why is that hard to believe ? The Canon 5D series was in that price range. Nothing different in changing shape a bit to fit our idea of a cinema camera. Mostly same things on board. Sony is doing it now pretty much with the VG20- that camera really only lacks XLRs and adjustable profiles to be the camera needed, and it sell for $ 2199. Add a full frame chip, an XLR adapter like you find on the NX70U, and a couple of more buttons for adjustments, and you have what you need.

John Vincent August 24th, 2012 06:32 PM

Yeah, I can believe it - Sony's squeezing every dime they can out of 8 bit cameras while they can.

The FS100 is now near the end of its significant sales cycle, and not many bought the VG20.

Cliff Totten August 24th, 2012 07:10 PM

The price sounds about right. Given the model number, this will prolly be a "Handycam" branded camcorder.

I have a feeling this will not have XLR mics. (could be wrong) It will definitely have a an oversampled moire issue. This problem alone should be enough to protect the FS100.

Sony might not give it full SHUTTER, GAIN and IRIS control.(all at the same time) They might not allow clean HDMI. They could also not give it hard buttons and instead rely heavily on a touch screen interface.They might force AGC only audio. We have all seen in the past years that there are many ways to creatively cripple a camera today.

One thing is certain,..moire artifacts are going to be a key design "feature" in this thing. It will be allowed to have a "good" picture,...but certainly not allowed to be "too good".

I wonder if this new camera will come with the new servo powered lens at that price?

I also wonder how these E mount lenses will handle a FF sensor. Is that even possible?

Bill Koehler August 24th, 2012 07:17 PM

Problem #1: Full Frame E-mount. E-mount is barely bigger than the APS-C sensor it is in front of. And given the registration distance is the least of any mount system out there, sticking a bigger sensor behind there....Seeing is believing on this one. Period. Show Me.

Problem #2: Full Frame E-mount lenses. Unless Sony has some big announcements impending, these don't exist, or they're called Sony Alpha lenses with an adapter. And when was the last time a major camera manufacturer launched a new camera with zero native lenses?

Problem #3: It hasn't even been a week since Sony announced the NEX-EA50 and we are supposed to believe the price premium for full frame is going to be close to zero? Really? I just don't see that as believable.

Glen Vandermolen August 24th, 2012 08:23 PM

I put the same link in the Area 51 section because...well, it seemed appropriate.

Chris Joy August 25th, 2012 06:52 AM

I agree with Bill's #3 point .. a brand new FF sensor vs. the EA50 with the 16mp sensor that's been the star of Nex, SLT, Pentax and Nikon cameras for more than a year. I just can't imagine it would be cheaper.

I also agree with John, Sony will squeeze all it can out of its sensors - seems logical that the FS100 sensor might make its way into a VG type body to fight the upcoming Blackmagic cinema camera, or just a FS100 price drop larger than the current rebate.

But beyond that, Sony has been allegedly working on the new FF camera for awhile now and the rumored price is under $3000. The VG20 body sells for more than twice what any other Sony SLT or Nex body with the 16mp sensor, it charges quite a premium for the camcorder form factor and add-ons. If the rumored A99 specs are correct Sony will make a splash with its new FF camera - why let the wind out of that sail with a similar-priced camcorder with the same sensor? The A99 would be DOA as hybrid shooters IMHO will be a driving force in the sales of this camera - and if rumors are to be believed Sony is shooting for class leading video features that will crush the 5d3 and d800.

New sensor, new tech and so on, Sony's history leads me to believe that if this FF VG ever becomes a reality it will be in the FS100 price bracket if not more.

Form factor aside, the A99 (or whatever its called) IMHO would be a more compelling option over a FF-VG simply for the pro-build weather sealed body, dual Bionz processors, superior AF and Steadyshot as none of the Alpha lenses are stabilized and the Zeiss lenses are some of the best AF glass money can buy. I prefer a camcorder and real mics, but for the less $$$ I'll take the A99 and add a Juiced Link and some RedRock goofy-ness.

Again, just my opinion ... we'll see in a few weeks if Sony has the next big thing or if all this is just a bunch of hot air.

Tim Polster August 30th, 2012 04:22 PM

I have to say the A99 has caught my attention. I am a Canon 5DMKII still shooter that wanted to move to the 5DMKIII and replace the GH2 for my shallow DOF video work on one swoop. Well, that did not work!

If Sony can deliver on both the stills side and the video side I would seriously consider switching for the benefit of having one system for stills and SDOF video. I think they can deliver on the video (if they want to) but it will take at least an equal to the 5DMKIII on the stills side to get me to make such a large move.

Will be interesting to see. Hope Sony wants to "go there"!

Cliff Totten August 30th, 2012 04:56 PM

This is a very interesting camera. (potentially)

My biggest questions are not based so much on what this FF camcorder will be allowed to "have". I'm much more curious as to what features it will "not" be allowed to have.

Today, Sony has a VERY crowded lineup of Handycams, NXCAMs, XDCAMs and now even video capable Alpha DSLR/SLT. How will Sony cripple this new NEX VG900? We know it has a VG20 below it and an FS100 and EA50 above it. (with the possible argument of the FS700 too?)

How will Sony separate the new FF camcorder from the pack?
If it's a full frame "Handycam" than you can be sure the NXCAM group will demand that they have one too.
Will the VG900 be allowed to have XLR audio?
Will it have "real" recording meters or just these "pyrimid-triangle" shaped indicators?
Will it have plugs and connectors placed directly in front of where your palm goes in the handle?

It supposedly has the FF 24mp sensor that the new A99 is supposed to have, so we know strong moire is to be expected. (That in itself could be the "protection" the FS100 needs)

I dunno,...really interesting camera from a market positioning point of view!

CT

Chris Hurd August 30th, 2012 06:50 PM

Moved to Area 51 where it belongs.

Also, absolutely no "camera rumor" site links are allowed here. Some of that stuff is worse than useless.

When (and if) it's ever real, you'll find it on DV Info Net. Thanks all,