DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   New compact Canon 4K video camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/526069-new-compact-canon-4k-video-camera.html)

Glen Vandermolen December 12th, 2014 08:17 AM

New compact Canon 4K video camera?

There's a rumor - and only a rumor - that Canon will soon release a small camera to compete with Sony's X70. It will have a 1" sensor, maybe even a Sony sensor. It might have the form factor of the C100, but smaller and with a fixed lens.
Price around $2,500.

Canon 4K Camcorder Coming Soon?

Kyle Root December 12th, 2014 08:21 AM

Re: New compact Canon 4K video camera?

Very interesting. 4K is definitely getting more and more affordable as the days move forward. Probably by Dec 2015 I may be ready to upgrade all HD gear to 4K.

Darren Levine December 12th, 2014 08:33 AM

Just keep the C100mk2 in mind, because it is of course very unlikely canon will put out something to detract sales from that

Glen Vandermolen December 12th, 2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Levine (Post 1870556)
Just keep the C100mk2 in mind, because it is of course very unlikely canon will put out something to detract sales from that

I don't know if the C100 II and the X70 are in competition. Will a Canon "X70" take sales away from its own C100? Maybe, but they really are different cameras, especially price wise (if the price holds true). But I'm sure Canon would love to take some of Sony's X70 business away.
I've always liked the C100's form. To use that in a smaller, 4K camera would be sweet. But they need more of a codec than AVCHD, in my opinion.

Mark Koha January 13th, 2015 12:50 PM

Canon has all of the pieces and parts in their possession, they have yet to just put them in to one camera all together. They need to strike soon before they have lost too much of the market switching over to 4K.

Les Wilson January 13th, 2015 09:32 PM

@markkoha: You don't know Canon. They wait and are last with a good solid product. If you buy it, then you get the benefits. However, when you want to move to the next great thing, you have to wait and wait. So if you are the type that always has to have the latest, it may not be a good choice if you want to stay with the brand for more than one go around.YMMV

Chris Hurd January 13th, 2015 09:46 PM

@Mark and @Les:

Actually you're both right. Canon has all of the pieces and parts in their possession right now, true. It's also true that they always wait and are always last with a good solid product. They always let all the other manufacturers go first, and I'm sure that's a key part of their corporate philosophy. They'll do it when the time is right for them, and it'll be last, and it'll be great. And it'll be 20% overpriced and they won't make enough of them.

Peer Landa January 14th, 2015 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1873477)
And it'll be 20% overpriced and they won't make enough of them.

HA -- yes, so true.

-- peer

Les Wilson January 14th, 2015 07:08 AM

What Chris said. So true.

Mark Koha January 15th, 2015 10:56 AM

So is the general thinking that a c300 mkII is on the way?

Noa Put January 15th, 2015 11:24 AM

no-one knows, until Canon introduces a successor.

Mark Koha January 16th, 2015 04:59 PM

I was always terrible at waiting for Christmas as a kid and I am no better as an adult waiting for new tech. Even though I have pretty much decided I am getting a C100 mkII.

Noa Put January 17th, 2015 06:16 AM

You can get two c100's for the price of one c300..., that's 2 packages under the Christmas tree :)

Mark Koha January 20th, 2015 11:13 AM

Can't say that in my current state I would ever pony up for a C300. A C100 is right in my wheelhouse though. It's just the problem of having to get lenses too.

Noa Put January 20th, 2015 11:20 AM

You know what they say, the best camera is what YOUR money can buy. :) Plenty of other much cheaper options out there.