DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Anyone in Brisbane? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/531685-anyone-brisbane.html)

Nathan Buck April 22nd, 2016 07:37 AM

Anyone in Brisbane?

Looks like I'll be moving out there come September, for at least a year, possibly more depending on visas.

I do, however, need a job - it would be great to work in the industry. Does anyone know anywhere to apply for jobs that they could suggest? I'm all ears :)

Freelancing would be great, but as I'm only there for a year or two by the time I've built up a client base I'll be leaving. Plus, I'm not sure if I can freelance on my visa.

Thank you!

Christopher Young April 23rd, 2016 10:59 PM

Re: Anyone in Brisbane?

If you have a work visa I see no reason why you can't freelance for any of the networks, or any other outfit for that matter. Most freelancers here have their own kit. The generally accepted format for TV freelancers is Sony XDCam 50Mbps 422, e.g PDW-700/800, though that's not set in concrete. Quite a few news freelancers shoot 35Mbps 420 XDCam on cameras such as the EX1/3 series.

Best thing would be to contact the Chief of Staff in the news rooms of all the main networks here. They are Ch 7, Ch 9 and Ch 10 in the commercial networks. In the quasi commercial area you have SBS and in govt networks like the Beeb you have the ABC. All these networks are Australia wide directly or via their numerous regional affiliates. They are all on the net so just Google them and chase down their news rooms and hit their Chief's of Staff with a resume.

Good luck.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Nathan Buck April 24th, 2016 06:58 AM

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that! I will check them out. I shoot on a HC-X1000 at the mo, so not the best. But I think if you drop it into HD timeline then 4k becomes 10bit 4:2:2 - although I think there is some controversy surrounding the math in that.

Just to add, looks like it will be a working holiday visa, as I don't think I have a required 'skill' according to the Australian government in order to get a working visa.

Christopher Young April 25th, 2016 09:32 PM

Hi Nathan ~

Well if it's a working holiday visa I don't see too much drama with that as I don't think there is any distinction on what sort of 'work' you do.

Also check out

Mandy's Film and TV Production Directory

and you will find most of Australia's best production outfits listed under an Australia search. Might be well worth contacting some of them to see if they have any casual / freelance opportunities that you could have a go at.

I'm from the old country myself, ex Beeb. When i first arrived here I found Aussies to be very fair and found that they would judge you on your attitude, work ethic and desire to pitch in and learn rather than what school tie you wore or what your background was. So good luck mate!

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney

Nathan Buck April 27th, 2016 11:09 AM

Brilliant, thanks so much once again!

Andrew Smith April 27th, 2016 08:03 PM

Yeah, what Chris Young said.

Also, we have good espresso coffee over here.

Andrew Smith
Brisbane

Christopher Young April 27th, 2016 11:07 PM

LOL :))

Chris Young