DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   New Lumix "GH5-S" (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/534803-new-lumix-gh5-s.html)

Cliff Totten October 14th, 2017 11:39 PM

New Lumix "GH5-S"

So there are strong rumors out that Panasonic is going to have another "high end" camera announcement on November 8 2017.

It's being speculated that Panasonic wants to split the GH5 into different models in the same way that Sony does with it's A7 series.

Rumors are now growing that Panasonic is making a new "low light" GH5....let's just call it a "GH5-S". It's hard to imagine what Panasonic could do to improve the low light capabilities of the GH5 and it's smaller sized MFT sensor. What sensor could they buy that was better than the current Sony-built MFT GH5 model???

Well, lo and behold,....look at what Sony just announced!!! A new MFT sensor with just enough pixels for 1:1 DCI 4k, 10bit and up to 120p!!

Could this be the sensor for the new "GH5-S", low light camera? I'm betting the farm that it is!!

http://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/produc...4CJK_Flyer.pdf

Meet the new Sony IMX 294CJK. This model is being marketed as a "security camera" sensor. Lol...How many MFT security cameras have you seen with real DCI 4k resolution, 120p and 10bit color? LMAO!

This SCREAMS of the sensor Panny will buy for this new "GH5-S" thing-camera!

You heard it first here folks!

CT

Noa Put October 15th, 2017 03:38 AM

Re: New Lumix "GH5-S"

Where did you find this info about a new gh5 model?

Steve Game October 15th, 2017 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Totten (Post 1937465)
... Meet the new Sony IMX 294CJK. This model is being marketed as a "security camera" sensor. Lol...How many MFT security cameras have you seen with real DCI 4k resolution, 120p and 10bit color? LMAO!...

Speaking from what we are told is the security camera capital of the world, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 4K resolution cameras are being deployed in sensitive areas. Techniques such as face and gait recognition are being developed for use in ever more crowded locations requiring better resolution than full HD. Why do you think that professional security cameras have stepped out of the sensor development programme? They are used for a lot more than domestic burgular alarm systems here.

Cliff Totten October 15th, 2017 10:16 AM

Hmmm,...OK, I can buy the idea of super high end MI-6/CIA security cameras. I'm sure that will be great for that purpose.

But this answers the call for a rumored "low light" Panasonic "GH5-S" camera too as a companion to the current GH5. I'm guessing a "GH5-R" would have 24 or 28 megapixels for photographers?? I can't imagine an MFT sensor going higher than that. Maybe 20fps photo shooting?

So here are some the rumors:

https://www.43rumors.com/ft4-panason...a7-philosophy/

Nobody know for sure outside of Panny. But this seems to be the new Sony sensor that would fit the requirement.

We'll see......

CT

Cliff Totten November 27th, 2017 03:05 PM

So it looks like this "GH5-S" will use this Sony IMX294 sensor and will probably do 4k in 120 frames per second.

Announcement is expected arround December 15

Wow....very interesting.

Jack Zhang January 1st, 2018 11:09 AM

Just checking in here, looks like it will be announced at CES, and a updated DVX200 (I wouldn't be surprised if it's called the DVX200B) will also be announced if not at CES, then at NAB.

No crop, C4K 60p 150mbps 10bit 4:2:2!

Now let's hope the DVX200B improves on that with something like Cfast (Cause CFexpress is a successor to XQD, and Panasonic and Canon ain't touching that) and 800mbps C4K 10bit 4:2:2 ALL-I. And let's hope the DVX200B gets 96khz/24bit.

Cliff Totten January 1st, 2018 06:55 PM

Im betting this DVX200 sucessor will have almost the same motberboard as the GH5-S. Im betting it will have the same Sony sensor too. I can see Panasonic certainly repurposing all that hardware and programming into a camcorder form factor. Its cheaper just to carry those inside parts and code over.

Im betting they will stick with SD cards and keep it at 400mbps All-I at 30p. These UHC-II cards have proven themselves to work really well with the GH5 CODECs.

Ron Evans January 1st, 2018 09:26 PM

If Panasonic have really figured out how to do C4K 60p 150mbps 10bit 4:2:2 Long GOP then I expect that will be on the DVX200 upgrade and would not be surprised to get it on a GH5 firmware update either. I wonder if HLG will be available at UHD 60P too internal. I expect external recording will be the answer for All i with ProRes or DnxHD etc to Atomos etc.l.

I would be really interested if there are new lenses as a power servo zoom would be welcome for both the new camera and the GH5. There is a menu item on the GH5 for power zoom. I would be interested.

John McCully January 1st, 2018 09:55 PM

And Sony said we shall have the sensor market and you, Panasonic, can have the consumer/prosumer market. Oky doaky, said Panasonic, and that was all hatched out many moons ago. That way they both get to make a decent profit which is precisely the name of the game.

The laughable AX700, a milk-mode product if ever there was one, languishes gathering dust while Panasonic’s latest, the Lumix G9, housing the latest greatest Sony sensor, is more than most (me included) will need for a long time to come and will fly off the shelves.

And for the fusspots - not looking at anyone:-) - who demand all the bells and whistles the GH5s is on the way.

Ron Evans January 2nd, 2018 08:44 AM

Sony seems determined to leave the UHD50/60P to Panasonic and Canon. Seems strange as a long time Sony fan I would likely have bought a Sony NX80 if it had 60P UHD but since getting the GH5 am now moving to Panasonic as I like the output and certainly the WiFi app is much better than the Sony.

As to the GH5s and DVX200 update I think that if one wants an integrated lens camera with XLR, timecode connectors, SDI ,wired remote etc then the DVX200+ will be the answer. Interchangeable lenses and then it will be the GH5s. I expect the performance to be fundamentally the same without the lens effects possible with the GH5s. We will see in a little while.

Jack Zhang January 2nd, 2018 01:32 PM

For me, My PMW-EX1R wasn't discrete and I often get asked "Do you have a permit?"

I'm looking forward to changing to mirrorless cause I can be more discrete. Only way I may consider the DVX200B is if it has Cfast and internal 800mbps ALL-I C4K 60p, basically making it a poor man's fixed lens FS7.

John McCully January 2nd, 2018 01:43 PM

Ron, as you have pointed out previously Sony does do some strange things and as a long time Sony fan I was somewhat annoyed when they essentially ceased end product R&D in this sector of the market. I did get to understand that Sony were not going in this direction just to spite you and me but were responding to the emerging market realities and digging in to their core competency. Fair enough.

And so to Panasonic and 60p. I held off purchasing the GH5 and shall wait and see what the GH5s and the G9 bring to the table. I mentioned the G9 which is targeted by Panasonic at the photography market however from what I have learned it is every bit as good if not slightly better than the GH5 regarding video with one notable exception; the G9 does not do 10 bit as does the GH5.

For my needs, video AND photography, the G9 looks very promising indeed. The EVF on the G9 by all accounts was made in heaven, such a contrast to the sad thing called by the same name on the AX100.

So for me it’s now Panasonic all the way.

Jack Zhang January 2nd, 2018 01:59 PM

G9 also has a 30min limit for video. GH5 doesn't have this limit. I'm for sure getting a GH5s.

Ron Evans January 2nd, 2018 02:00 PM

The G9 has a record limit not on the others. Not good for me recording shows of at least an hour at a time. Internal 10bit UHD 60P is attractive to me rather than getting an external recorder so the GH5s is of interest if it appears with the rumored specs. A 10x power servo zoom controlled with the LANC interface on the camera would complete the dream !!!

Jack Zhang January 2nd, 2018 02:12 PM

If Fujinon only made the 18-55 just slightly wider, like 12-55, the MK zoom would be perfect for the GH5s. Since it's a standard gear pitch, you can just slap on a motorized zoom rocker. For now, the 18-55 makes a good 36-110mm lens for the GH5 with the MTF MFT mount kit. Just get a Olympus 7-14 for the wide stuff I guess.