DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   ok so it could be a rumour (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/6161-ok-so-could-rumour.html)

Michel Brewer January 18th, 2003 10:07 PM

ok so it could be a rumour

but my source is fairly relaible, he says sony will release a pd-150 with 24 fsp in april to combat the panasonic model, and just as I was about to buy the panosonic vcr/vtr mini dv with lcd screen (cant remember the model number) my dealer told me wait till thursday since the agdv100 is being discontinued they are dropping the price $200 on the smallmodel with LCD. It could be a rumour but I think its probably correct....especially excited about the 24 fps sony pd-150 if thats true, although after seeing and playing with the panasonic i keep thinking I wont need to purchase a wide angle with that camera which saves a bunch as compared to the sony, any thought from owners????

M

Frank Granovski January 18th, 2003 10:41 PM

Not that I'll be buying one, but when you find out, let us know. Just that I'm curious. Smiles and chuckles all around!

Jeff Donald January 18th, 2003 11:29 PM

I think we'll be seeing several new cameras between now and at NAB in April. This should be an exciting spring for new cameras.

Jeff

Jaime Valles January 19th, 2003 04:05 PM

Very cool. I just hope somebody comes out with a prosumer camera with 24p, 16:9 CCD's, or at the very least an anamorphic adapter, and remote zoom and focus capabilities, all under $4000.

You think it would be possible?

Jaime

Jeff Donald January 19th, 2003 04:27 PM

Under $4,000 is probably not very realistic. I think Sony and Canon are thinking along those lines, but I'd add $500 to $1,000 to the price. I think they'll both have new cameras at NAB in April (maybe sooner).

Jeff

Jaime Valles January 19th, 2003 04:52 PM

I could deal with that. I think that Canon and Sony both need to step up to the plate and make a camera designed with the "Independent Filmmaker" in mind, like Panasonic did with the DVX100. Let's hope they do!

Jaime

Dylan Couper January 19th, 2003 09:37 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Jaime Valles : I could deal with that. I think that Canon and Sony both need to step up to the plate and make a camera designed with the "Independent Filmmaker" in mind, like Panasonic did with the DVX100. Let's hope they do!

Jaime -->>>

Here here!
I don't plan on upgrading my XL1 unless Canon puts out something spectacular with the indie film shooters.

Robert Mann Z. January 19th, 2003 09:44 PM

here here

hey if my xl1 was good enough to buy three years ago, it's certainly good enough to keep for another three...

Peter Wiley January 19th, 2003 10:35 PM

From Scott Billups's Web site, section on cameras:

"This JVC HiVision prototype Progressive Scan HiDef palmcorder will kick off the biggest revolution in content management since the invention of junk mail. Not because it will be the first to the American market, because it won't be, but rather just because it exists. And it works now!

Just imagine, little Johnny's first birthday party in 1280 X 720 Progressive HiDef. Or your next door neighbor's daughter's wedding in 480P. Although the current model shoots both 525/60P and 750/30P at 16:9, the release version is expected to include 24P in its arsenal.

Yes, hell has finally frozen over and Elvis has come back into the building. This 1/3 megapixel monster records to a DV tape just like the Panavision HD system but using MPEG2 compression. The lens is pretty bad or else everyone else would get on their case about killing off the pro market.

If you don't understand how this works, then you haven't read my book. READ THIS !

Is this going to have any effect on what we do here in the US? No! because we won't be seeing this till 2004. Canon will introduce the XL2 by the end of 2003 and even though the JVC will throw up more pixels, the new XL series will blow it away with its native 16 X 9, third generation chips, multiple frame rates (including 24P and more importantly 30P ) and most importantly ... the ability to use a manual lens. "

See this and more at http://www.pixelmonger.com/hg_cam.html

Ken Tanaka January 19th, 2003 11:54 PM

<g>
Scott's pretty full of himself (and, as anyone who's "READ HIS BOOK" may know, sometimes of other stuff, too). But it's always fun to read speculation on industrial plans.

Canon's actually a bit of a wild card. On the one hand, since they have no professional line of video equipment they can keep pushing the XLx line higher with no danger of hurting their higher-end product line.

But not so fast.

If they push it too high they risk hurting their professional lens customers. With some of these lenses retailing for 2x to 7x the price of an XL1s, that may not be such a great idea. Plus, Canon also makes optics for other prosumer lines of cameras, a business that's probably more profitable than making the whole camera.

Add to this some of the most miserable economic parameters and projections, especially for the consumer sector, that we've seen in 30 years and you have a very challenging path ahead for this little segment of business.

So it will be interesting to see how Canon, Sony, Panasonic, and the rest of the Asian Electronics Consortium respond through their product lines. Since these companies tend to be cloaked from U.S. investors (or even Japanse investors) it's difficult to get an accurate glimpse of how lines like the XL1s and DXV100 have been selling. But, if I were managing one of these companies' consumer/prosumer lines I'd probably get the sweats contemplating selling a new line of $3,000-$4,000 toys into a U.S. economy where (at least) 6-8% of parents are fighting their post-teen kids for first crack at the want-ads.