DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Wanna stump your friends? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/65320-wanna-stump-your-friends.html)

Robert Lane April 17th, 2006 04:15 PM

Wanna stump your friends?

A sure-fire way to quiet the know-it-all at any party, ask the question: "How much does electricity weigh?"

The answer may surprise you - and I'm not telling!

Peter Costello April 17th, 2006 04:20 PM

answer

Electricity's pretty light

Giroud Francois April 17th, 2006 04:37 PM

as almost every part of matter has a weight, you can say that an electron has some weigth too. Unfortunately, electron are not electricity.
electricity is a vector (a force) and is not submitted to gravity (unless you live near a black hole), so there is probably no way to measure this.

K. Forman April 17th, 2006 05:05 PM

The weight depends on what size battery you need ;)

Brian Farris April 17th, 2006 05:06 PM

The transmission lines in Ohio are sagging from the heavy load.

J. Stephen McDonald April 17th, 2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Forman
The weight depends on what size battery you need ;)

How many readers of this will be weighing their batteries before and after charging? The results of this would be surprising to many people.

K. Forman April 17th, 2006 07:14 PM

Yeah... my wife is one of those types, she'll believe anything I tell her, except the truth. For the first two years we were together, she thought my middle initial C stood for Claudufius. When she laughed at that, I told her it was my Grandfather's name. She stopped laughing and apollogised for it :)

Frank Granovski April 18th, 2006 02:43 AM

My Electro weights just under 2 pounds, but I should double check that in the manual.

Dionyssios Chalkias April 18th, 2006 04:07 AM

Reminds me of the smoke weighing scene in the film 'Smoke' or was it 'Blue in the face'...?

Nick Hiltgen April 30th, 2006 02:46 AM

Damn you guys...

Well let's see the weight of a battery shouldn't be an indication of the weight of electricity, because batteries conduct electricity or store (to be more accurate) through a chemical process.

I think it comes down to what is electricity? Is it electrons?

this is going to keep me up for another 15 minutes at least.

J. Stephen McDonald April 30th, 2006 03:05 AM

Does the expression mass equals energy equals mass, mean anything in this situation? Does a fully-charged battery weigh more? Has anyone else checked this?

Nick Hiltgen April 30th, 2006 03:08 AM

leave it to me to stumble on this two weeks later.

ok I'm going with electricity has no weight. I.E. does cable weight more when there is current going through it? I don't think so.

I believe that any weight transfered out of a battery is probably just some chemical reaction that is turning those chemicals into energy, and since energy doesn't have mass (right?) then I'm saying that electricity (as energy) has no weight.

Now the real question is " why is there air?"

K. Forman April 30th, 2006 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen
Now the real question is " why is there air?"

It keeps a Blonde's head from going flat?

Matthew Nayman April 30th, 2006 09:53 AM

...Touche...

Marvin Emms April 30th, 2006 03:37 PM

I like Peter's answer. Very cunning.

The question is dimensionally incorrect as far as I can see. Bit like asking how fast a drivers licence is or how how bright is the colour yellow.

If the question can be interpreted as, 'How much does electrical energy weigh'?

Then the answer is the same as for any other energy. Get the Mass from E=MC^2, which will be next to undetectable in any ordinary application and then calculate what it weighs by using the local value of gravity.

Simplest smart alec answer might be 'mass times acceleration, same as everything else' or 'about six times on earth what it would be on the moon'.