DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   New HD Camera Speculation (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/72927-new-hd-camera-speculation.html)

Betsy Moore August 3rd, 2006 04:22 PM

New HD Camera Speculation

Okay, wide open question, just throwing it out there... what new features do you think the next break-through affordable (let's say 6000 and under) prosumer HD camera will boast? By break-through I mean out of the blue upping of the ante, like the JVC HD-1 that got the whole thing rolling, the HD P2 Panny--

And bonus points go to whoever guesses which company will be the one to introduce it,

when the next breakthrough camera will hit the market...

... and what stupid design choice they'll make to cripple it from being the camera we're all dreaming of (past hall of fame boners are: no 24p--again!, poor compression rate, 4 minute recording times for 2500 dollars, 720 instead of 1080, single chips, no manual exposure--ah, it's fun to relive the greatest hits!)

My guess is someone in the next six months (JVC? trying to get back in the ring?) will announce a 3 (1/3 inch) 1080 progressive chip that records 1080 60i/1080 24p in an HDV format with no improvement in compression rate--and still no interchangable lens. And I'd buy that mo-fo in a second...

We can dream (in Area 51), can't we?

Zack Vohaska August 3rd, 2006 06:04 PM

Sony will be releasing the HDR-FX2 - 1080/24pA, three 1/3" CMOS censors, 500x optical zoom, 4:2:2 colorspace, interchangable lenses, 4 XLR inputs, variable framerates (like the HVX200), 0 lux rating, Canon-like OIS & optics, Panasonic-like gamma curve, uncompressed PCM audio, flip-out 9" HD monitor with a 180-degree flip option, follow focus+focus assist, -3dB gain setting, and much more. Once the camera processes all of this data, the video is downconverted to be recorded onto an 8mm video cassette. The spokesperson at NAB 2007 raves at how the "8mm video footage truly benefits from the downconversion from HD". The camera is expected to retail at $5995.

Just watch. It'll probably happen.

Betsy Moore August 3rd, 2006 06:49 PM

It's fun to dream, no?

Frank Granovski August 8th, 2006 01:36 AM

Dreams make the impossible reality...when asleep. :-)

Betsy Moore August 8th, 2006 12:30 PM

And sometimes even after you wake up. Except for flying cars, anything that we puny humans dream about and moan for we eventually seem to get. Thanks for the global satellite system Arthur C.!

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2006 01:24 PM

Sony will be next

FX/Z whatever, with 3 cmos configuration, HDV, frame rate selectable, tape (for archiving) and direct Harddrive connection for immediate access to footage. 1 lux rating. Lens will be detachable, and a Sony design 35mm adapter will be available to replace lens, and adapter available for other lenses.

Available options include a teathered helium baloon for flying camera with ease

Betsy Moore August 8th, 2006 02:18 PM

Like that balloon:) No more glidecam!

Chris Barcellos August 8th, 2006 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
Like that balloon:) No more glidecam!

Very useful for creating a shaded area for shooting too, but a bit of a problem with overhead fans, and the like....

Betsy Moore August 8th, 2006 03:10 PM

Well just use hydrogen instead and it'll blow up any fan that gets in its way.

Paulo Teixeira August 9th, 2006 01:40 AM

Actually having 3 CMOS chips and using the HDV format is a very good possibility and instead of the camcorder being called the HDR-FX2, I bet it will be called something else and who knows it may ship in one to two weeks in Europe.

This is speculation by the way.

Zack Vohaska August 9th, 2006 01:50 AM

Sony really does need to announce something new soon -- the XHA1 > FX/Z1. Sony has made it's way from the #1 affordable HD solution to rock bottom (opinion) -- their cameras are losing interest with all of the superior HD cameras that came out.

Stu Holmes August 9th, 2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
...and who knows it may ship in one to two weeks in Europe.

This is speculation by the way.

Not that soon : end of September or beginning of October. 3 CMOS and HDV is pretty accurate. Bit smaller than FX1 with a new slightly smaller-diameter lens design, 62mm thread. New HiGrade 0.8x WA lens to match.

By the way, Chris H. said that you can't mention names of unannounced machines on this site for legal reasons, so i think it might be best if you edited your post in that respect. Can't be too long before this is officially announced though... (in my opinion blah blah...)

Chris Barcellos August 9th, 2006 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
By the way, Chris H. said that you can't mention names of unannounced machines on this site for legal reasons, so i think it might be best if you edited your post in that respect. Can't be too long before this is officially announced though... (in my opinion blah blah...)

I was chastized for same offense.... so Paolo beware..

Betsy Moore August 9th, 2006 02:23 PM

That's a wonderful prospect, Stu:) Is it a guess (this is Area 51 so guesses are welcome) or have you been getting some interesting info? And if so do you think it'll offer the notorious 1080 24p?

Chris Barcellos August 9th, 2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
That's a wonderful prospect, Stu:) Is it a guess (this is Area 51 so guesses are welcome) or have you been getting some interesting info? And if so do you think it'll offer the notorious 1080 24p?

Betsy:

See this thread to add to the "Sony Claus" wish list.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72861

There has been some speculative evidence of a pending new camera out there from Sony. I don't think Sony is about to cede the HDV market to Canon with its vastly improved offerings...