DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Kangaroos in Eugene? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/75788-kangaroos-eugene.html)

J. Stephen McDonald September 19th, 2006 03:19 AM

Kangaroos in Eugene?

1 Attachment(s)
The Merry Prankster must have seen some, before he put up this sign next to his farm. But, I went up and down this road a dozen times, hoping to get some video footage of them, but I must have been there on the wrong day.

Wayne Morellini September 29th, 2006 12:59 AM

Could be stolen. If it's metal and thick enough not to be flimsy, check it for serial numbers/council/state name. Maybe I can report it to the Australian government department it came from ;) The name and address, of the perpetrator, would also be good.

Only joking.

Probably an souvenir from a Holiday.

Brian S. Nelson September 29th, 2006 09:01 AM

Funny. I live in Eugene. Where's the sign?

J. Stephen McDonald September 29th, 2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
Could be stolen. If it's metal and thick enough not to be flimsy, check it for serial numbers/council/state name. Maybe I can report it to the Australian government department it came from ;) The name and address, of the perpetrator, would also be good.

Only joking.

Probably a souvenir from a Holiday.

You suppose they'd send someone up here to reclaim their sign? The Merry Prankster departed from Earth several years ago, so he couldn't easily be held to account.

J. Stephen McDonald September 29th, 2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian S. Nelson
Funny. I live in Eugene. Where's the sign?

It's just a Furthur bit down the road from Never-never Land. If you have a copy of The Last Whole Earth Catalog, there's a map and directions.

Wayne Morellini September 30th, 2006 09:51 PM

That's funny, there was a guy in Australia that used to produce a "Whole Earth Catalogue", or something like that. And I live a few hundred kilometers from the Never Never (see the film, "We of the Never Never"). Are you Americans trying to steal everything, hey I haven't seen kangaroos around here for years (since the last one that, regretfully, graced my headlights : ( ) and American tourist numbers have been up, coincidence? ;)

Richard Alvarez October 1st, 2006 08:49 AM

Long long ago, I was attending school in upstate New York. I was speaking to a fellow student from Australia, and telling him about hitting deer in Texas at night. He told me that in Australia, they had "Roo Bars". I asked him what that was, and he said..."They're bars that go around the front of your car, on pivots. When you hit a 'roo, the bars flip 'em up and over your car."

I looked at him, and he gave me that half smile I give people who have NEVER been to Texas, when I tell them about JACKALOPES.

Fast forward three years, I'm living in Paris, France, and meet another Australian student. Not wanting to approach the subject like some green idiot, I casually slip in a reference to "Roo Bars" in a discussion about driving on different sides of the road. She stopped dead sentence, looked at me and smiled a half-smile and said... "Yeah... yeah, Roo Bars are important, but only in the outback". Then she gave that half smile again.

Jump forward more than twenty years, and I'm actually visiting Sidney, Australia. I'm there for two weeks, but no chance to get into the outback. I'm taking a tour up to the Blue Mountains, and the tourguide is explaining how the Eucalyptus trees emit the oil that actually turns the fog blue, hence the name "Blue Mountains". I decide to go for broke.

"So, I don't see any Roo Bars on the cars driving by."

She looked at me, and said. "You probably haven't been looking closely enough. WOuld you know 'em if you saw 'em?"

Now. Having put this out on a public forum with many Australian posters... I don't expect a 'factual' reply. I saw land rovers with the huge set of bars out across the grill.. heck, you see those in Texas where we call them brush grills... but they don't PIVOT up.

All I'm asking is... are ROO BARS as real as JACKALOPES??????

Wayne Morellini October 2nd, 2006 10:07 AM

I don't know about Roo bars, but I imagine they are the same thing, or smaller versions of Bull bars. Wherever they are pivoted to flip up animals I don't know, when you look at it, the direction of the hit might make the pivot have the reverse effect.

Now, it is possible, I suppose, if the Roo was in mid hop, you might be able to flip him over your vehicle using a bar. Actually if you were towing a trailer with a gas powered barbecue, it might even be possible to land the Roo on it and enjoy some on the road food (very tasty meat, but cook well, pest ridden).

Around bush land you get Kangaroos, or their smaller cousins, Wallabies. So a lot of non outback areas have them, but more the smaller ones I think, and with the amount of traffic, not many of them.

That's about all I can offer.

Now, back to my pet Jackalope ;)