DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Area 51 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/)
-   -   Xl3!!??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/area-51/76608-xl3.html)

Rupert Smith October 2nd, 2006 08:18 AM

Xl3!!???

Anyone heard anything about an XL3?..I was just about to order an XL2 when my dealer told me an XL3 was going to be launched...phoned up Canon UK customer services and was told yes, an XL3 is coming out in November!! thats all the info I was given........!

Pete Bauer October 2nd, 2006 08:28 AM

Canon announced last year that the XL2 would be their last SD camera. The XH cameras are coming out this month and next month. Canon waits to announce cameras until fairly close to release, but if I'd say the odds are much better that the dealer is referring to the XH cameras than the odds are that they've decided to suddenly release another SD camera a year after saying they would no longer do so, and 3 HD cameras later.

Rupert Smith October 2nd, 2006 08:32 AM

The CANON customer services guy actually said that 3 cameras were going to be released, the G1, A1 and XL3 all in November.

Mathieu Ghekiere October 2nd, 2006 08:43 AM

He probably was just wrong.
As Peter said, Canon said the XL2 would be their LAST SD camcorder.
Maybe the dealer meant an upgraded version of the XL H1, but there has been no press release about that, so I doubt it a bit.

Greg Boston October 2nd, 2006 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
Maybe the dealer meant an upgraded version of the XL H1, but there has been no press release about that, so I doubt it a bit.

That would be more plausible. However, this is all speculative and therefore must go to Area 51.

-gb-

Ash Greyson October 2nd, 2006 11:58 AM

I think they will HAVE to upgrade the XLH line or drop the price. The newer cams at several K less will suffice most people not to mention that there are several IMPROVEMENTS over the XLH. I would suspect an XLH1s would include audio embedded HD-SDI, finer image control and a body only kit. The XLH2 would most likely include HDMI as well as HD-SDI and use progressive chips.

ash =o)

David Clark October 2nd, 2006 02:32 PM

I think, for Canon (and the rest) to abandon SD is crazy. There is still a huge need for it, both industrial and prosumer. At this time when there are so many compatibility issues, Sony-HDV won't play JVC-HDV won't play Canon-HDV won't play Sony-HDV...... I'm not ready to switch over to a proprietary product. And Canon really needs to manufacture (or market) a deck. I don't have any idea where Panasonic sits in that crowd. And ya, I know they all record in SD, but why pay for what you don't need. Hopefully my XL2 (which I love) will last long enough to stand the winds of change.

I would like to see an XL3 (or an XL2s) come out, if it some fixes in it, like more presets, a better EVF, etc, etc....the list could go on and on.

Cal Johnson October 2nd, 2006 03:33 PM

Rupert, you mentioned you were just about to buy the XL2. I think for the money its a great deal. Unless you have a real hard fast reason to go to HDV or HD, I'd go ahead with the XL2. You'll learn a lot about "electronic cinematography" utilizing the presets, and SD is still plenty in demand.

Frank Granovski October 2nd, 2006 07:30 PM

It's coming...there's always something new coming...you just have to wait and pray for the best.

Philip Williams October 2nd, 2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Clark
<snip>And ya, I know they all record in SD, but why pay for what you don't need.<snip>

Actually, even as an SD model the XH A1 is a pretty competitive product. It basically just MSRPs for a few bucks more than the DVX100B yet offers native 16:9 and a longer zoom.

Also, it MSRPs for about a grand less than the XL2's original release price.

In this case we're not really paying extra, we're getting more for the same or even lower price than we did a few years ago. Ain't technology grand?

www.philipwilliams.com

Matthew Overstreet October 3rd, 2006 04:20 PM

In regards to an XL3 being a possible successor or step up from the xl-h1 . . . didn't we recently hear that Canon just announced that they acquired a license to produce 24p? Maybe it's an HDV camera that uses true progressive scan technology rather than 24f? And . . . if they are in fact going with the name XL3, maybe that is to differentiate it from the XL x1 series that have all used 24f rather than true progressive scanning? I don't know, just speculation.

Philip Williams October 3rd, 2006 05:01 PM

The 24P license is for an upcoming semi-pro version of the Optura with HDV. It'll have the same CMOS as the HV10 but with the ability to reclock to 48hz for true 24P at 700+ lines of resolution (it'll be laid to tape just like 24F in true progressive frames). To cut costs and reduce size/expense, it'll feature a single XLR input in addition to an 1/8" input. Full manual controls of course, focus and zoom rings and it'll be all black to match the new cams. Price about $1700.

OK, I can't back that up. But if anyone at Canon is listening, I'd buy it.

Matthew Overstreet October 3rd, 2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Williams
The 24P license is for an upcoming semi-pro version of the Optura with HDV. It'll have the same CMOS as the HV10 but with the ability to reclock to 48hz for true 24P at 700+ lines of resolution (it'll be laid to tape just like 24F in true progressive frames). To cut costs and reduce size/expense, it'll feature a single XLR input in addition to an 1/8" input. Full manual controls of course, focus and zoom rings and it'll be all black to match the new cams. Price about $1700.

OK, I can't back that up. But if anyone at Canon is listening, I'd buy it.

Same here, sounds great. The optura series has always been a great line as far as higher end consumer cameras go. Sounds like a deal to me.