DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/)
-   -   Ninja 1 & 2 pulldown etc when used with Canon XLH1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/atomos-ninja-samurai-shogun/523756-ninja-1-2-pulldown-etc-when-used-canon-xlh1.html)

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 17th, 2014 05:52 PM

Ninja 1 & 2 pulldown etc when used with Canon XLH1

I am thinking of trying to find a used Ninja 1, or at least a used Ninja 2.

1. Does the original Ninja 1 do 3-2 2-2 pulldown?

2. I have a Canon XLH1 and it is one of the first ones of that model on the market and would be using an SDI to HDMI converter. Would this mess up either the Ninja 1 or the Ninja 2?

3. Can I trigger the Ninja 1 or the Ninja 2 to go into record from my Canon?

Please give any general advice. Of course, I was hoping to save some money by purchasing a Ninja 1 on the used market.

Thank you

Harry

Travis Andersen June 19th, 2014 10:08 AM

Re: Ninja 1 & 2 pulldown etc when used with Canon XLH1

Hey Harry,

1. Does the original Ninja 1 do 3-2 2-2 pulldown? Not sure about the Ninja 1 but 2 is ok

2. I have a Canon XLH1 and it is one of the first ones of that model on the market and would be using an SDI to HDMI converter. Would this mess up either the Ninja 1 or the Ninja 2?
No, not at all. I used on with my XAH1 and it was excellent.

3. Can I trigger the Ninja 1 or the Ninja 2 to go into record from my Canon?
No, you can not tigger the Ninjas with the XLH1.

How come you want to get the Ninja instead of the Samurai? I still use it with my XLH1. Also since the Canon does not do audio over SDI you have to use the RCA Jacks into the mini jack of the Samurai/Ninja.

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 19th, 2014 11:49 AM

Dear Travis,

Thanks so much for your advice. Glad to hear nothing will blow up if I use an SDI to HDMI converter.

The reason I'm thinking about the Ninja 2 is that it's cheaper!

I believe that Ninja 1 could be triggered into record via lanc but that this disappeared when Ninja 2 showed up.

Do you have any ideas where I might score an old Ninja 1?

All the best,

Harry.

Travis Andersen June 19th, 2014 12:51 PM

Are you going with the Atomos converter another manufacturer?

I stand corrected about the trigger. It will work as long as you have the Lanc AND a tape recording. I forgot about that as I didnt run tape very much.

Id look on the sales section here or Ebay for the Ninja 1.
Good luck

Travis

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 19th, 2014 12:54 PM

I already own a Blackmagic Mini Converter SDI to HMDI for my editing setup. But it is powered by a 12 volt wall-wart transformer, So I'm hoping that I can either run it off a battery pack of 8 x 1.5 volt rechargeable batts, or might have to buy the Blackmagic version of the same product but which has it's own rechargeable battery supply.

Thanks for the idea of looking on this site for a Ninja 1 - and also for the info about the lanc trigger.

Best wishes and thanks for your advice.

Harry

Travis Andersen June 19th, 2014 12:58 PM

I got this a power source and it worked great Used with the Black Magic mini as well
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618847-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450I_myPower_ALL_Plus_MP3450i.html
But Id go with the Samurai so you dont have to get the external battery and have to velcro it somewhere and it add a lot of weight. There is one on ebay now for 700 I think.
Cheers!

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 19th, 2014 01:05 PM

Thanks very much for the advice about the power supply. You are a fount of knowledge and most gracious to share it.

I can't afford a Samurai. I make classical music and jazz films, which should tell you my state of poverty. Plus I have 2 dogs and a concert grand piano to support.

I looked at your snazzy website. Congrats. It looks great.

In case you are curious, here's my relatively recent music films showreel which is part of the site for "American Grand" a feature doc which was on PBS last October.

FilmHarry.com

Many thanks again.

Harry.

Travis Andersen June 20th, 2014 06:46 AM

Nice work Harry!

I actually use to work on the Boston POPS at WGBH PBS in Boston. Management though so no real creative stuff for me. I understand you completely about being poor, as a freelancer it is a tough go.

Anyway, good luck with the set up and if you have any questions feel free to hit me up.

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 20th, 2014 12:02 PM

Thanks very much - and I'll certainly take you up on your offer of future advice.

Best, Harry.

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 24th, 2014 04:07 PM

Dear Travis,

Once again, I ask for your advice:

I bought an SDI to HDMI mini Convertor by Blackmagic last October for my editing setup to convert the SDI output of my Blackmagic HD Extreme card on my Mac to HDMI for my Dell U2713H HD monitor. It does not have a battery option, only a wall-wart transformer. It died about 10 days ago. That was when we exchanged messages about my asking you about a battery operated one.

Anyway, Blackmagic replaced that converter under Warranty and sent me an updated model which is 4k.

I've had impossible problems getting this one to work and on to Tech Support at BM for hours. Clearly they can't fix it.

I want to give up on BM and get another from a different manufacturer ... preferably one which can be powered by both AC and by battery.

Obviously you've researched this question, so my long winded question is: what would you recommend?

Many thanks for reading this immensely long and boring post.

All best wishes,

Harry.

Travis Andersen June 25th, 2014 07:19 AM

Hey,

Well that is bit different for me. For my desktop and laptop I have the Matrox Mini that I use with Avid on PC. Its not battery operated either. I would look into the Atomos converter and a AC battery adapter ( I think its a kit) . You can go from SDI to HDMI and also if you get the Ninja it will work with that and many other cameras.

Connect Converters | Atomos

Harry Bromley-Davenport June 25th, 2014 09:29 AM

Hi Travis,

Thanks so much for your speedy and helpful suggestion. I'll get on the case.

Many thanks again,

Harry.

Travis Andersen July 29th, 2014 01:10 PM

How are things working out for you Harry?

Harry Bromley-Davenport July 29th, 2014 01:13 PM

Thanks very much for your post.

I haven't yet bought a Ninja but have made some progress by obtaining an SDI to HDMI battery powered converter (Blackmagic). I'm hoping to pick up a used Ninja 2 when I have some spare cash stashed away.

Best wishes,

Harry.