Shogun cannot pass audio through HDMI at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old May 19th, 2019, 01:25 AM   #1
Trustee

Shogun cannot pass audio through HDMI

I'm using a Macbook with Keynote, I'm using it to show slides and video in a meeting. Plugged into the Macbook is a thunderbolt 3 to HDMI adapter. I have an HDMI cable from the adapter into the Shogun, and another HDMI cable from the Shogun to an LED display or projector. I want audio to pass through the system. If I play music or video from the laptop, I can see the audio meters moving on the Shogun, and I can record it. However, the audio doesn't pass through to the LED display or projector. Is there something special I need to do to allow the audio to pass through the entire chain? If I connect the HDMI from the laptop directly to the display or projector, audio passes through. So the roadblock appears to be the Shogun. I've tried playing with the audio settings on the Shogun without success.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Shogun cannot pass audio through HDMI

I really think these recorders only record and display well. Other features are poorly implemented. Since this is an old post, you may have already tried using the headphone jack as the audio source.

My Inferno is not much better. Nothing comes out of the HDMI out. Audio playback channel selection is not retained so you have to adjust it for each and every video you review unless your camera output happens to match the default.
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 06:01 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Not sure about the SHogun but for my Ninja V the default audio is set to the mic input which would carry through as the output too, sothe actual audio input on the HDMI input is recorded or output on channels 3/4. The solution is to reset the default to channel 1/2 for the HDMI input. At least that has worked for my Ninja V.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I cannot see a way to reset the audio channel default on this Inferno. Can you tell me where it appears in the menu?
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Not sure how it will be on yours as OS has changed with the Ninja V but with the Ninja V if you touch the audio meters the full meters will be displayed and then one can select which channels get recorded. By default the analogue channels are selected . Touch the record button underneath the channels to select or de-select channels to record. I deselected the analogue channels and then selected channel 1/2 which is what most TV's etc will want to play.
Old September 30th, 2019, 07:12 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I found this for you https://support.atomos.com/hc/en-us/...cks-1-2-go-to-
Old September 30th, 2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thank you Ron! That really got me on track. Now I understand the whole Audio menu on the Inferno. I appreciate your help!
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun