USB 3 caddy for SSD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old June 30th, 2020, 10:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

USB 3 caddy for SSD

I have a Shogun that came with an SSD caddy that ends in two USB connectors, USB 2 & 3.
The USB cable where it connects to the caddy has gotten finicky and intermittent. So I wondered if I need to replace the whole caddy or if using a simple USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch SSD.

The cable was properly configued and snapped into the SSD without a hitch, but I couldn't see my SSD to my laptop. Also the Atomos logo did not light up. Does anyone know of an alternative to purchasing a new caddy?

thanks,
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: USB 3 caddy for SSD

I think you mean docking station. For clarification the caddy is a ssd enclosure. From what you describe the failure most likely is the usb cable connection in your docking station has worn out. I find with other devices that cables bent or stressed can fail over time. I believe most any usb 3 to sata adapter will work.

Note most have short cables and no extra usb to supply power if you need that...

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; June 30th, 2020 at 02:34 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2020, 07:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your answer. I just picked up a USB 3.0 SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable, and it works!
Thomas Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2020, 04:40 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Glad it worked out and you saved yourself money
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun