Does Inferno HDMI output port ever work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old February 2nd, 2021, 03:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does Inferno HDMI output port ever work?

Hi. Is anyone's Inferno or V output port working? My monitors say "Input Not Supported."

The playback video is 4kUHD29.97 and I have selected "down conversion," so output is 1080p.

The output is connected to one of two monitors, one 1920x1080 and the other 1920x1200. Both say "Input Not Supported."

I've tried 3 different (good) HDMI cables with no luck. The output should be 1080p and so no heavy demand on the cable right?
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Does Inferno HDMI output port ever work?

Mixing resolutions resolutions or hdcp can cause this. Try setting everything to the same resolution/frame rate, see if that does anything.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2021, 10:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Try setting everything to the same resolution/frame rate
Thanks but what do you mean? The footage is 4k30. The monitor refresh is not related. The Ninja should adjust the output resolution from 4K to 1080, right?
Old February 24th, 2021, 10:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Heard back from Atomos. I gave them 3 models, new Acer and Asus 1080 monitors and a 6 month old Epson 4K projector, all which support all camcorders HDMI out at any resolution.

After 3 weeks of back and forth, including their requesting proof of purchase (though it was registered and they had my serial number) they gave me an RMA. Through the ringer.

I then bought a Ninja V and found the exact same result. Instead of sending it it, I sent that to info them and the responded with this.

Quote:
I received a response from my superior, this is a handshake issue between the ASUS VS24A/ Acer SB220Q and the Ninja Inferno.
They are not compatible with our units, even if the output was downconverted.
If the both of the Atomos Units are able to perform seamless and secure outputs, then there is nothing wrong with the Inferno's output port.
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
So these recorders can mostly only output to other Atomos recorders.
Old February 24th, 2021, 11:11 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Like I said in my original post HDCP. HDMI is encrypted to prevent copying. The device must do what is called a handshake before a signal is sent. I found it's a crap shoot what device will work with the Atomos. There are different versions of HDMI/HDCP each device has a chip in it even the HDMI cable. The new versions tend to get stricter.
Old February 26th, 2021, 05:00 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
... There are different versions of HDMI/HDCP each device has a chip in it even the HDMI cable. ...
HDMI cables have an HDMI/HDCP chip in them? really! There are some flaky chinese products that have amplifiers built in (the amplifiers have been available for many years as a means of boosting signal levels over long lengths), but they are HDCP agnostic as they just restore the digital stream amplitude
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2021, 12:31 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
HDMI cables have an HDMI/HDCP chip in them? really! There are some flaky chinese products that have amplifiers built in (the amplifiers have been available for many years as a means of boosting signal levels over long lengths), but they are HDCP agnostic as they just restore the digital stream amplitude
I misspoke, cables are passive, differing only in the bandwidth they can carry. I mixed up HDMI cable Standard (1.3, 1.4, 2.2) for HDCP version .

I've discovered the Atomos works fine with a camera, but introducing other devices can cause it to not send or receive a signal. I use it as backup recorder for Zoom conferences. If I plug the Ninja Flame into my laptop as second monitor, I can only record video the audio despite the meters indicating it's receiving audio. Then I pass through to a tv so can see it easier and it receives both audio and video. I tried to use my portable GeChick monitor and it will not work with the same setup or with a HDMI splitter.

Laptop > Atomos > TV (yes)
Laptop > Atomos > Portable monitor (no)
Laptop -> Splitter > Atomos + Portable monitor (no)

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 26th, 2021 at 02:57 PM.
Old February 26th, 2021, 05:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I misspoke, cables are passive, differing only in the bandwidth they can carry. I mixed up HDMI cable Standard (1.3, 1.4, 2.2) for HDCP version .

I've discovered the Atomos works fine with a camera, but introducing other devices can cause it to not send or receive a signal. I use it as backup recorder for Zoom conferences. If I plug the Ninja Flame into my laptop as second monitor, I can only record video the audio despite the meters indicating it's receiving audio. Then I pass through to a tv so can see it easier and it receives both audio and video. I tried to use my portable GeChick monitor and it will not work with the same setup or with a HDMI splitter.

Laptop > Atomos > Portable monitor (no)
Laptop -> Splitter > Atomos + Portable monitor (no)
I have a Ninja V, and when connected to the HDMI of a Canon 70D, (to use it as a monitor),* it won't display an image unless it is a recording. It's fine with a GH5 and a Sony CX730 though.

* there's no point in recording the 70D's output on the Ninja as the autofocus box cannot be removed for a clean display.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2021, 05:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Game View Post
I have a Ninja V, and when connected to the HDMI of a Canon 70D, (to use it as a monitor),* it won't display an image unless it is a recording. It's fine with a GH5 and a Sony CX730 though.

* there's no point in recording the 70D's output on the Ninja as the autofocus box cannot be removed for a clean display.
Funny thing is I own the 70d and have never tried it for the same reason there isn't a clean output. But I just tried it and my 70d will output HDMI to the Ninja Flame even when it's not recording. I have seen different models of the Atomos react differently. It wouldn't surprise me if Atomos is partly to blame. Whether it's their implementation, the whole HDMI protocol is an awful standard developed by a bunch of greedy companies.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 08:30 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
This will be easy to test. A cheap HDMI TV might work then, which would be just as good for my purpose. Thanks!
Nick Mirro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun