DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   AVCHD Editing: Hurdles and Nightmares (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/123174-avchd-editing-hurdles-nightmares.html)

Ken Ross June 19th, 2008 09:27 AM

Steve, you actually did spread inaccurate 'informantion' and the irony is that your own chart disproves your allegations!!

Here's what you said: "PS: Anybody looking at a Sony should Google a bit. Far too many horror stories. CS is considered the worst in the business. The whole Sony system is oriented to slick marketing and sales via Stores and SonyStyle. Systems die in 2 years. Matches my experience with Sony in pre-VAIO days. System started falling apart."

Now, looking at your chart, the ONLY manufacturer that showed above average for parts was Sony!!! This matches MY experience and a few others that have commented here. There are a number of people on the internet who seem to make a livelihood out of knocking Sony. I see some of these same people pop up whenever the name Sony is mentioned on virtually any internet site.

As an additional valid datapoint (not unknown internet posters whose motivation and true experience is unknown), if you look at Consumer Reports as I told you before, you'll see quite clearly that there is nothing unusual about their frequency of repair records. But spreading misinformation here is just another 'data point' that someone else will spread elsewhere when THEY say "Oh, I just saw on this dvinfo site where Sony systems fall apart after 2 years". Simply untrue! This is exactly how misinformation is perpetuated on the internet.

Pete Bauer June 19th, 2008 10:14 AM

What's BAD is not staying on topic. Once AGAIN, folks, stick to the topic. This thread is not about Sony laptops.

Steve Mullen June 19th, 2008 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Ross (Post 895576)
Steve, you actually did spread inaccurate 'informantion' and the irony is that your own chart disproves your allegations!!

In order to stay ON T: briefly, the chart shows what I said about CS. The negatives on Product Quality came from many posted comments by owners which reflected my experience. Here are just two.

"A very known problem with this model. There are several forums yelling at Sony for this issue. There are websites trying to form a group to legally fight with Sony on this. It's a manufacturing defect."

"Within three months 1/4th screen had black spot. I spoke to customer care and told me that to repair the screen will cost me GBP 523. They told me Sony screen not covered under warranty."

Ken Ross June 19th, 2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Mullen (Post 895818)
In order to stay ON T: briefly, the chart shows what I said about CS. The negatives on Product Quality came from many posted comments by owners which reflected my experience. Here are just two.

"A very known problem with this model. There are several forums yelling at Sony for this issue. There are websites trying to form a group to legally fight with Sony on this. It's a manufacturing defect."

"Within three months 1/4th screen had black spot. I spoke to customer care and told me that to repair the screen will cost me GBP 523. They told me Sony screen not covered under warranty."

The chart does NOT show what you said about build quality or reliability nor does it mesh with your selected internet posters. Once again Steve, you specifically claimed they 'fall apart after two years'. Your chart shows Sony as the ONLY one with above average parts. Of course they are not alone in poor customer service. This jives quite nicely with Consuer Reports frequency of repair ratings on Sony. This also jives quite nicely with my experience, a friend's experience who still has two old Vaios going strong, and some posters here. So why choose two guys on the internet to draw conclusions as opposed to a much larger body of evidence...including your own chart. The body of stats that comprises Consumer Reports frequency of repair ratings is a whole lot larger and, IMO, more reliable than some guys bitching on the internet.

Chris Hurd June 19th, 2008 08:23 PM

I owned a Vaio which lasted more than five and a half years through the worst possible abuse (extensive traveling and rough handling), it was the most reliable and robust laptop I've ever had.

When somebody feels like taking this thread back on topic (re: the challenges of AVCHD Editing), shoot me an email and I'll re-open it. Thank you Ken Ross for the highly appropriate concluding remarks. Closed for now.