DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Problem with HDR-SR10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/128937-problem-hdr-sr10.html)

Jesse Vazquez August 28th, 2008 05:14 PM

Problem with HDR-SR10

hey guys i recently bought the sr10 but i seem to be having problems. the video i record dosent seem to be HD. i set the settings to record on high hd but the screen seems grainy and not clear.

below i provided a sample of the camcoder in action.

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

Kenneth Medin August 29th, 2008 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jesse Vazquez (Post 926367)
hey guys i recently bought the sr10 but i seem to be having problems. the video i record dosent seem to be HD. i set the settings to record on high hd but the screen seems grainy and not clear.

The video is HD alright but:
1. Turn on the light or go outside. Camera is struggling to capture anything because of lowlight conditions.

2. Avoid fast pans (even more so in low light) to avoid motion blur and CMOS wobble.

Jesse Vazquez August 29th, 2008 03:06 PM

hey kenneth thnx for the reply.

in this video

Playing with Trains on Vimeo

the person is recording indoors but the quality is nice and clear

he has a sr12 and i have sr10 comparing both of them they really have no differences rather than Hard Drive size but recording capabilities remain the same.

or does they sr10 and sr12 have a diffrence in anyway?

or does the video have some FX to make ti look like this?

thank you

Ron Evans August 29th, 2008 04:00 PM

SR11 and SR12 are the same other than hard drive size but the SR10 has a different sensor and electronics.

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst August 29th, 2008 06:25 PM

AS noted, the SR10 has a different sensor and electronics from the SR11/12. IIRC it has a lower res sensor, which in theory should give better low light... notice the words "in theory".

The SR11 is pretty darn good in low light, but again Sony apparently tweaked even more out of the CX12 with the same guts! I'm finding it can see better than my old eyes in the dark!

If you want to shoot in low or really poor light, buy one of the cheap Sima 20W lights on eBay for around $35 - it's not half bad, and with a little diffusion it's showing some promise (it's a little blinding otherwise if your subject is human!), even comes with a little bracket to mount in the tripod screw.

Jesse Vazquez August 29th, 2008 07:18 PM

so a light would solve a problem? i did notice with some light it records in good quality without the grainy screen but as soon as it hits dark i get the grain.

i was gonna get the sr11 but not in stock. if i take this sr10 its a 15% restock fee.

Dave Blackhurst August 29th, 2008 07:37 PM

yep, even a 3W on camera light like sony makes for the shoe on the cam will help, although it tends to "hot spot" in the center of your video. I prefer a bit more powerful light, preferably something that is fairly even. HD cams actually seem to do pretty well if you add a bit of light, doesn't take a lot. You get a better result anyway - you wouldn't take still pictures in the dark without a flash, not sure why everyone expects to shoot perfect video under those sorts of conditions without a light...

Typically I've used the Sony 10/20W light with diffusion with good results, but this new Sima 20W LED is not bad at all. With the cam at full wide, I get fairly even illumination even without adding a diffuser (a cheap diffuser I cobbled up seems to broaden the field nicely and soften the glare), and the throw is respectable - other LED lights dont seem to have much range, but this one will throw enough light clear across my garage to get usable (but grainy at that distance) video. About the only thing I'm not thrilled about is how it tells you the battery is about dead... it starts flashing, UGH. But, for the $ that buy.com was selling it for on eBay, it's a great deal. I bought one to test, going to add a few more to the gear bag - very light weight, compact, and stays cool. The color temperature seems good as well, not the nasty cold blue cast of most cheap LED lights, but a fairly neutral look making it a nice "fill" light too.

Jesse Vazquez August 30th, 2008 11:59 AM

orderd a light from ebay. actually one of them access kits with the lens tripod etc etc.

will post back feedback when i recieve it next week

thanx for the help guys