DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Can't log and transfer in fcp 6.0.5 with HG 20. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/142443-cant-log-transfer-fcp-6-0-5-hg-20-a.html)

Douglas Joseph January 26th, 2009 01:27 PM

Can't log and transfer in fcp 6.0.5 with HG 20.

Hey, guys. I'm borrowing my friends HG 20, to see if I can edit the .mts files natively in FCP. I'm doing this because I'm planning on buying two of them... But here's the problem I've been running into. Why doesn't fcp support .mts files? You think apple would step it up, and make this a compatible format... avchd is been around for a while now. Is it possible to drag the .mts files into the timeline without having to convert them to .mov files? Because if I have to convert every file from .mts to .mov, using mpeg streamclip, or iMovie, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a solid state workflow. I might as well be capturing video, you know? I couldn't get the camera to log and transfer files either... I plugged the usb cord into the camera, turned on the cam, and opened up log and transfer, and nothing appeared queue. I also did this process with log and transfer open, then turning on the cam. This is very frustrating... I just want be able to edit footage from the HG 20 smoothly and not waste time converting and junk. If you guys have found a work around, or you know it is possible to log and transfer, please let me know! That'd be sweet.
I appreciate it. Take it easssssy!

Brian Boyko January 26th, 2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph (Post 1001443)
Hey, guys. I'm borrowing my friends HG 20, to see if I can edit the .mts files natively in FCP. I'm doing this because I'm planning on buying two of them... But here's the problem I've been running into. Why doesn't fcp support .mts files? You think apple would step it up, and make this a compatible format... avchd is been around for a while now. Is it possible to drag the .mts files into the timeline without having to convert them to .mov files? Because if I have to convert every file from .mts to .mov, using mpeg streamclip, or iMovie, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a solid state workflow. I might as well be capturing video, you know? I couldn't get the camera to log and transfer files either... I plugged the usb cord into the camera, turned on the cam, and opened up log and transfer, and nothing appeared queue. I also did this process with log and transfer open, then turning on the cam. This is very frustrating... I just want be able to edit footage from the HG 20 smoothly and not waste time converting and junk. If you guys have found a work around, or you know it is possible to log and transfer, please let me know! That'd be sweet.
I appreciate it. Take it easssssy!

I don't know about you, but I switched to a Sony Vegas/Windows workflow because of this issue (among others.)

Douglas Joseph January 26th, 2009 01:35 PM

This really blows. Ugh... This is the first time I've actually been angry at Apple. Haha. I need two more cameras, to compliment my 5d Mark II. Are there any compact hd camcorders on the market that are compatible with final cut pro? Is it true you can't record clips longer than 20 minutes? Wow... If that is true, this camera is about worthless - for me anyway.

Bill Pryor January 26th, 2009 04:26 PM

What you do is use Log and Transfer and let it convert the files to ProRes422 or AIC. You should be able to plug in the camera, open up Log and Transfer and the clips appear in the top window. Drag them to the Que and it will automatically convert and add them to your browser window (start up a new project first). It's as easy as capturing from tape. If you're not seeing the camera, check your cable, and check the manual for the camera also to see if it needs to be in a playback mode or something before you fire up FCP. I capture AVCHD files all the time from my little home movie camera into FCP. Camera is a Sony TG1, but others use the Canons with equal ease. If you go to Ken Stone's site, there's even a quickie tutorial on one of the Canons and FCP.

Douglas Joseph January 26th, 2009 04:59 PM

Bill, you're are the man. Thanks, buddy.

Battle Vaughan January 28th, 2009 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph (Post 1001443)
I plugged the usb cord into the camera, turned on the cam, and opened up log and transfer, and nothing appeared queue. I also did this process with log and transfer open, then turning on the cam.

Haven't had this problem with the Vixia's we bought recently, but IIRC you might need to turn the camera on before you boot FCP. At least, FCP won't see our Sony HDV decks unless they are powered up before opening FCP, from your note it looks like you powered up after. I am guessing, here, as our decks are firewire, not usb, but worth a try.... /Battle Vaughan/ miamiherald.com video team