DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   AVCHD in FCP/Quicktime without transcoding (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/236353-avchd-fcp-quicktime-without-transcoding.html)

Colin McFadden May 29th, 2009 12:01 PM

AVCHD in FCP/Quicktime without transcoding

Hey yall - Just got ahold of a beta of "ClipWrap 2.0" which adds support for AVCHD. So it'll take an MTS and spit out an MOV without transcoding the video - rewraps the H264, converts the AC3 to PCM. So, the files will play right in QT Player, or in FCP.

I gather it's not ready for release yet, but I did a screencast to show what it's doing already. Also, I understand there will be the option to batch transcode to ProRes, AIC, etc as well if you prefer that workflow - no more worrying about folder structures, etc.

YouTube - Clipwrap 2 sneak peak

-Colin

Larry Horwitz May 30th, 2009 10:57 AM

Thanks for posting this Colin. I see this software as a giant leap formward for Mac owners who wish to easily handle AVCHD. Up until this software is released, the alternative of transcoding is just way too time consuming, to say nothing about disk space and quality compromises.

Now if Apple could only begin to offer BluRay drive support, the Mac might begin to look like the PC has for about 2 years now in terms of handling AVCHD properly.......

Larry

Hans Ledel May 30th, 2009 11:43 AM

That is great news,

Colin, do you have any idea when they will release it?

Cheers

Hans

Colin McFadden May 30th, 2009 11:51 AM

I hear it'll be sometime after WWDC, it seems pretty polished so hopefully not too long after.

Hans Ledel May 30th, 2009 12:17 PM

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Hans

Hanno di Rosa May 31st, 2009 09:14 AM

yep

this is just what I was looking for! I am getting the GH1 and worried about AVCHD so I came to DVINFO and immediately find a possible solution. Since I am spoiled by P2 workflow I am worried about AVCHD and this may be the solution I need!
I dont mind hd-space at all, I want a good codec that performs as smoothly on my MBP as P2 transcoded into QT and AVCHD scared me.

Another app. I need is one that turns 30fps HD into 50i PAL without damage....any tips?

Brian Murphy June 8th, 2009 06:40 PM

Is this backwards compatible? Will those of us running G5 quads and duals be able to use it or is this only Intel Mac compatible?
Good news but I would really like to hold off till the new year before upgrading my computer.
Thanks for the research and input btw!

Tom Cadwalader June 8th, 2009 07:05 PM

What kind of CPU power ?

Colin,
How much horsepower will be required to work with the files once they become MOV?

Tom

Randy Panado July 18th, 2009 05:22 AM

Any updates on this? Looking forward to this tool :)

Hal Snook July 19th, 2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Panado (Post 1173277)
Any updates on this? Looking forward to this tool :)

I emailed the developer last week and haven't heard back. I hope it's just because they/he/she are really busy and not because it's been scrapped. :(

Gary Nattrass July 20th, 2009 09:34 AM

It hasnt been scrapped I e-mailed them too and Mike has said it will be going through beta testing soon.

Danny Dale August 6th, 2009 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Cadwalader (Post 1155884)
Colin,
How much horsepower will be required to work with the files once they become MOV?

Tom

yes, looking for some info on this...

Gary Nattrass August 6th, 2009 11:03 AM

Once wrapped the MOV files in 1920x1080i 50i 24mbs from my canon HF11 are around 28mbs so if you can do HDV you should be OK for horsepower.

I am beta testing V2 for PAL compatibility at the moment!