DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Shooting with 2 cams? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/239263-shooting-2-cams.html)

Randy Painter July 18th, 2009 01:41 PM

Shooting with 2 cams?

Still stuck on what i am going to buy for my next camcorder. Am looking at the HMC150, HMC40 or maybe the GH1. Anyway, I currently use a Sony SR11. This cam has a 1/3 cmos sensor. Should i be looking at the HMC40 since this has 1/3 sensors too? I plan on mixing the footage and want to keep the quality as close as possible. The SR11 takes very good video and want to use it along with whatever i get. The HMC150 uses 1/4 sensors and from what i have seen, this shoots allot better video. The GH1 is a possibility but not sure about this one. I guess the big question is should i stay with 1/3rd sensors. Your comments and/or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Dave Blackhurst July 18th, 2009 04:37 PM

sensor size has NOTHING to do with the relative image different cameras produce - spend some time on DVi - there's a wealth of information about different cameras and mixing them. For instance, the XR500 which replaced the SR11 has a similar image signature, but vastly improved performance, due to a change in sensor design (but about the same size)

There tend to be "looks" that are brand specific, and there is variation between cameras of the same brand, and sometimes even the same model.

The easy way if you are shooting multicam is to buy a pair of cameras at the same time. They will likely be close. BUT since having a large and small cam can be handy (you've got the small one), you'll probably need to spend some time learning to match them the best you can when shooting, and then tweak in post.

Jonathan Palfrey July 18th, 2009 05:27 PM

Yeah if your looking for a camera with a similar picture then go with the same brand. For example I own a SR11 and I recently brought the Sony Z5. They match well in good light but obviously the Z5 is far better in the dark.

If you have enough money for a HMC150 then maybe you should consider the Sony FX1000. You'll gain manual controls, better low light etc. yet still have a picture that looks similar to the SR11.

I will be using my Sony Z5 for a wedding next month and I'll have the SR11 as the 2nd camera.

Only other issue is the mixing formats which some NLE don't like. I use Sony Vegas though so have never had an issue.

Randy Painter July 18th, 2009 09:24 PM

I had a feeling about your answers but wanted to hear it from the pro's to be sure. One problem is I cant stand tape (my 1st cam was tape) and swore i would never do that again. Got used to working in AVCHD so guess I'll sell the SR11 after I get whichever panny I decide to get. Just wish the HMC40 would get released early so I can read the reviews. Thanks for all the help.

Dave Blackhurst July 18th, 2009 09:55 PM

Yeah, there are a bunch of folks here waiting for Sony to release something similar to the HMC150 - ready to abandon tape, but waiting for the right camera to come along... XR500's are doing for me for now...

Martyn Hull July 19th, 2009 02:04 AM

From what i hear the GH-1 shows most cams how to take video, regarding Sony i have vowed never again none of my last 4 sony high def machines gave anywhere near good servise although my fx7 is still working tempermentaly, SR12 too tempermental thats gone.

Randy Painter July 19th, 2009 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst (Post 1173505)
Yeah, there are a bunch of folks here waiting for Sony to release something similar to the HMC150 - ready to abandon tape, but waiting for the right camera to come along... XR500's are doing for me for now...

If Sony would make one, using the same sensors from the XR500, same setup like the HMC150, I would buy it. I think it would be an awesome cam. I am running out of time due to my step daughter's wedding in september, so will make my decision the 1st week of august. Hopefully the HMC40 will be released and a good review is done. If not, will be ordering the HMC150. Thank you all for your responses. This site has been very helpful.

Mike Burgess July 21st, 2009 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Palfrey (Post 1173449)
Yeah if your looking for a camera with a similar picture then go with the same brand. For example I own a SR11 and I recently brought the Sony Z5. They match well in good light but obviously the Z5 is far better in the dark.

If you have enough money for a HMC150 then maybe you should consider the Sony FX1000. You'll gain manual controls, better low light etc. yet still have a picture that looks similar to the SR11.

I will be using my Sony Z5 for a wedding next month and I'll have the SR11 as the 2nd camera.

Only other issue is the mixing formats which some NLE don't like. I use Sony Vegas though so have never had an issue.

I agree with Jonathan. I have an SR11 and an FX7. While one is AVCHD and the other HDV, they mix fairly well (both are Sony). And as Jonathan said, whatever NLE you use could be the biggest hurdle. I use Pinnacle 12 (so far so good). And although I have a pretty powerful computer (quad core, four GB ram), it still works hard with the AVCHD material. But with patience and time, the end product looks good.

Mike

Randy Painter July 21st, 2009 02:05 PM

I ordered the 150 this morning. Had enough of looking at reviews, reading specs and reading opinions. Will see if the SR11 and the 150 come close in quality. Been using iMovie 09 to import, then using iMove6 HD to edit. Works well with the SR11. No problems editing with my mac pro with 18gb ram. Am hoping apple updates FCE for native AVCHD editing. I have FCE 3 but didn't like it. Might have to get back into it. Either way, they both convert to AIC and so far so good with quality. Just have to learn how to edit with video from 2 cams.

Mike Burgess July 21st, 2009 07:25 PM

Congrats on your decision. Hope it all turns out better than what is expected. I am sure everything will work out for you.

Best of luck to you.

Mike