DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   SR11 Adventure Dome video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/240182-sr11-adventure-dome-video.html)

Erik Phairas August 2nd, 2009 04:15 PM

SR11 Adventure Dome video

Did this yesterday, it was recorded at 9mbps using a memory stick instead of the HD. Allows you to do neat stuff like take the camera on the rollercoaster with you. Also because we filmed in the Adventure Dome everything is tinted purple since all the windows are purple. :)

Love the EX3 but I would never be able to get something like this done using it.

Adventure Dome, Circus Circus on Vimeo

Randy Painter August 2nd, 2009 07:15 PM

Nice video. I have an SR11 too and it sure shoots great video. Just picked up a Panasonic HMC150 for an A cam. Just hoping the SR11 will blend nice with the panny.

Erik Phairas August 2nd, 2009 08:52 PM

Yea I am very impressed by the Sr11/12. They do such a great job in everything but the lowest light. That and you can record to either the HD or memory card.

Ron Evans August 2nd, 2009 09:17 PM

I have a SR11 and a XR500. If you like the SR11 you will love the XR500. Better low light, lower noise level, amazing OIS and a lovely LCD. Only downside they left off the zebra display.
They both make my FX1 look old!!!!

Ron Evans

Erik Phairas August 2nd, 2009 09:22 PM

Stop tempting me Ron... anytime a new camera comes out that sets new standards for low light I get all spendy.... :) I pursue better low light capabilities like some guys pursue shallow DOF.

Dave Blackhurst August 2nd, 2009 11:53 PM

Erik -
Sell the SR11 and get the XR500 - you'll only end up out a couple hundred (at most) if you are patient on eBay - any accessories will just move right over, and you won't regret it for 2 seconds.

The XR can see better than I can in low light... not sure if that's my old eyes, or it's really that good, but I'm pretty sure it's really that good, and is far less noisy than the previous sensor generation. Your "support group" says it's OK, just do it <wink>!

The SR11 is a great little camera, but once I put the XR500 next to it, there was no question - since I shoot several small cams multicam, I switched to the XR500's as fast as I could, no regrets. I normally wait for prices to drop, this time I didn't feel being too patient was worth it, though I still waited for "deals" to pop up.

MOST of my shooting situations are "difficult" light wise, so the improvement was a no brainer - I feel like there's more lattitude and much better overall low light performance. I shot a children's play (same venue, a few months apart, same horrid lighting...), and the difference shooting the XR500 vs. the SR11's was pretty noticeable for me. For casual or handheld shooting the OIS is greatly improved. I shot some footage on a early evening commercial flight (watched the sun set twice!), and was really happy with the results - just wanted to show my kids what it was like (and they watched it several times, easy audience!), but I was very impressed with how the cam handled - very stable, and good results, again in "dusk" conditions.

Prices on the XR's are coming down a tad now, and the SR's have stabilized on the resale market now that the model year change/blowout stock has dried up - thus the price differential is nominal for what you get.

My only "complaint" is that I want to see the "R" sensor in something like Sony's little HX1(superzoom still cam, but OK video for a dual use cam), an Alpha DSLR w/video, and/or a tapeless prosumer replacement for the FX7 - the new sensor is a game changer IMO, and the sooner Sony gets it into the rest of their cameras, the better. I don't know why they are being slow on rolling out this new technology, but unless they're having problems with yields, it's a shame they only have released the XR's (and shortly the CX versions).

BTW, I keep 8G MS Duos in that memory card slot for the same reason you noted, great backup recording media, now you've got me wanting to go find some roller coasters!

Erik Phairas August 3rd, 2009 12:29 AM

Trust me, if I didn't already have an EX3 I'd be all over those 500s. I'd be the one posting side by side tests and everything. Since there is so much more I could still use to make the most of the current cameras I own, upgrading again isn't likely for a while. :)

Oh and Dave, I use my Sr11 as a helmet cam too. Doesn't so much as hicup under all that vibration. :)

Dave Blackhurst August 3rd, 2009 12:58 AM

I was planning on passing on the "upgrade", as I didn't think the XR's could deliver on the marketing "hype"... I (more accurately my budget) was really "disappointed" to discover they did since it meant selling and buying multiple cameras...

I collected my SR's and CX's at good prices, and got good prices selling them, the XR's weren't that much more for me - careful shopping made it a pretty nominal upgrade when all was said and done, thus why I made the suggestion. Depends on how you buy and sell whether it would make it worth it, but I'm pretty sure you'd find it worth it, if you have to scratch the itch <wink>.

It's always tough, as there's always cool new equipment - part of me hopes my "wish list" cameras don't hit the market too soon, but I'd love to see an Alpha with the "R" sensor and video at a competitive price point - that's my "ideal" replacement camera, as it should do all the things a "big cam" would do (DOF and low light) and do double duty as a still cam. I spoke with a Sony rep that indicated something might break soon...

I've got some killer 20+ year old Minolta glass that I'd love to shoot video with, and an EX3 is way out of my budget!

Erik Phairas August 3rd, 2009 01:16 AM

What I would like to see, is something like an EX5 with 1/2inch "R" sensors. The EX cameras are already the low light kings, makes me wonder if Sony would even do it. Why bother when you are already on top? Unless they want to compete against the DSLRs which I hear are even better in low light than the EXs.

Ron Evans August 3rd, 2009 07:23 AM

I too would love this sensor in a more capable camera but I expect Sony have a problem doing that yet as it would likely be better than the FX1000/Z5/Z7/270 that have not been out that long. As a hobby I can't really justify an EX1 but think changing my FX1 for an FX1000 might just be the wrong time!!!

Ron Evans

Dave Blackhurst August 3rd, 2009 03:42 PM

I'm just sitting waiting, having "good enough" results with the XR500, and I'm used to working the smaller cameras and have little trouble squeezing good video out of them.

In my mind, I'm torn... a DSLR-V makes a lot of sense to me - I see what the Canon 5D MkII can do, and with a pile of great lenses already in my kit, if Sony offers an Alpha body at a reasonable price point with video, that's where I think I'll go rather than an FX1/FX7 or Z class camera, presuming it has reasonable manual control (or workarounds). I'm very much committed to tapeless (though I still have some old tapes to dump!), yet I do want a bit higher end camera - so the DSLR-V seems to fit the bill.

I think there are usually some product announcements around Aug/Sept (the CX500/520 and earlier CX series were usually announced around this time, so perhaps our patience will be rewarded...). Dollars for image quality, the XR500 is hard to beat IMO, but I'd expect to see the technology migrate to other parts of Sony's line relatively soon...

Bill Koehler August 4th, 2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 1180151)
What I would like to see, is something like an EX5 with 1/2inch "R" sensors. The EX cameras are already the low light kings, makes me wonder if Sony would even do it. Why bother when you are already on top?.

Reason? It's called fortifying your reputation, building brand loyalty, and how you stay on top. There is no loss in making things harder for the competition. It's what makes people think of a particular manufacturer FIRST when considering buying a new <whatever>.

Edit: By the way, I really enjoyed the video. It looked like a fun time was had by all.

Erik Phairas August 5th, 2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Koehler (Post 1180762)
Reason? It's called fortifying your reputation, building brand loyalty, and how you stay on top. There is no loss in making things harder for the competition. It's what makes people think of a particular manufacturer FIRST when considering buying a new <whatever>.

Edit: By the way, I really enjoyed the video. It looked like a fun time was had by all.

I hope so, all the Mark II video floating around kinda rains on the EX parade. Thanks for watching!

Dave Blackhurst August 5th, 2009 10:05 PM

That's where I HOPE Sony will join the DSLR-V game soon - I've got the nice Minolta glass, and shoot A350's now, nice SLR for the $$. Rumour has it there's something coming down the pipeline, but I can't find anything solid.

I know I'd like the "R" sensor for sure, which would give even an APS-C sensor incredible low light and low noise - make it a full frame, and "Canon" might look more like a squirt gun...

And I hope that Sony has enough sense not to join the "me too" crippled function sets so that the video is a bit more than an afterthought. Meaning full manual capability... Give it longer clip length too, while they are at it!

I'm playing with the HX1 superzoom, and if Sony can deliver the goods in that compact, sub $500 camera (meaning it's a lot of camera for that amount of moolah, not that it's a "great" camera, just a good bang/buck ratio), an Alpha with video could be serious competition.

Toss in some of the crazy fetures of the HX1 (Panoramic, HDR shooting, low light enhanced shots using multiple exposures, and of course video good for around 17 minute clips), and you'd have a beast of a DSLR.

As much as I'd like an EX or Z class camera, my next cam will hopefully be a DSLR with Video... if Sony comes through... someday... maybe... sigh.

Of course maybe the video division will deliver competition to the Panasonic and JVC compact prosumer cams...

Erik Phairas August 5th, 2009 10:36 PM

The whole DSLR-V just kinda makes me mad. If they can put that sensor in a still camera... they can put it in something like an Ex5 without raising the price..