DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Sony HDR-XR500V question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/468172-sony-hdr-xr500v-question.html)

Milutin Labudovic November 22nd, 2009 03:11 AM

Sony HDR-XR500V question

canon hv30 has an exposure lock, so when you pan the shot the expo is the same, regardless the exposure value. which is very conviniant.
does xr500v has the same thing. i know they both lack full manual, but if sony doesn`t have this i will not buy it, since i don`t want `breathing` exposure while panning or moving cam from one light value to the other.

thnx

Tom Gull November 22nd, 2009 05:45 PM

I have a CX500V so I think the answer for that cam should be the same as for the XR520V as well. If I understood your question, if you switch the Sony to "manual exposure", you get to move the exposure to a level you prefer and "auto exposure" is off. This sounds like the "exposure lock" you're mentioning but I'm not 100% sure I'm right about that. By definition, if the exposure is really locked down to one level and you point the cam somewhere totally wrong for that exposure, the video will look off in some way in that area, possibly completely unusuable, even. Do you really mean "the cam uses your level and makes no changes whatsover to the exposure regardless of where you point it"? This can obviously be useful in some shooting situations and terrible in others. But this is what I think the Sony manual exposure usage does. Is that what Canon's "exposure lock" is also?

Once we have that confirmation (or not), hopefully an actual XR520V owner will confirm this works the same way as the CX.

Dave Blackhurst November 23rd, 2009 01:58 AM

If you use the "exposure" setting, it becomes adjustable via the control dial, and remains where you set it rather than auto adjusting. It's handy for the rare moment when auto doesn't quite nail a scene, even though it's relatively limited, it does provide SOME manual control. Most of the time the cameras AI gets it right though, and adjusts pretty smoothly to needed exposure changes.

Milutin Labudovic November 23rd, 2009 04:56 AM

`If you use the "exposure" setting, it becomes adjustable via the control dial, and remains where you set it rather than auto adjusting`

thanx both, so it has it.

`This can obviously be useful in some shooting situations and terrible in others. But this is what I think the Sony manual exposure usage does. Is that what Canon's "exposure lock" is also?`

this is it, like on HV30. great. i read all the spec, but it is nowhere mentioned. i missed/skipped it on camcorderinfo, and read it today. sorry.

now a processor power comes in, new HD and new expenses :(

it seems like capable camera, with nice OIS.

of i go to the B&H :)

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 03:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i know it is not audio section, but not to open a new tread for simple question.

i bought wrong mic SONY for the cam, it does not fit sony HDR-XR500V (didn`t know for sony hot shoe problem)

now it looks like this :-), which i think will not work for fast interview where subject is in front of the camera?
i bought this adapter for the light.

so my question is which mic between 2 of these to switch on BH for interviews in live events.
i am limited in budget, so no extra money to spare.

Azden | SMX-10 Stereo Microphone | SMX-10 | B&H Photo Video

Audio-Technica | Pro-24CM - Stereo Microphone | PRO 24-CM | B&H

i have no knowledge in audio for video, so thnx.

Sherri Nestico December 10th, 2009 08:24 AM

This is what you need to use a microphone in the Sony hotshoe:

Pearstone | Cold Shoe Adapter for Sony Camcorders | SSA-II | B&H

I have my 500V paired with a Rode Videomic. The Videomic is $150, but well worth it. I've used it outdoors in high winds and indoors. Always perfect audio.

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 09:38 AM

thnx, i have heard about rode quality, but it is out of my price range.
i will choose something between two of these, have seen this adapter but for 10$ for S$H i get new mic that fits my cam.
i just don`t know are they right for the interview thing, this wrong adapter sony is.
i also have a wireless, but this on cam is what i need, fast and OK sound quality. but which one :)

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 01:56 PM

stupid me, all the mics requires hot shoe adapter, i have not see the small letters. friends always told me; read the small letters :)

Dave Blackhurst December 10th, 2009 02:23 PM

Using a bracket as you've done should work fine, as it gives you a cold shoe to work with.

I'm gathering you are looking for a shotgun type mic, Sony makes one that fits the proprietary shoe - search for HGZ1, it's a gun/zoom mic, and seems adequate, as well as in your price range. Depending on our application they have several dedicated mics including a couple bluetooth wireless units.

As you've found, the camera manufacturers have gone over to dedicated hot shoes, leaving you to use some sort of bracket if you want a standard mount.

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 03:58 PM

thnx dave,
just what i need. i returned the mic to the BH and ordered HGZ1. i have no skill in audio, but this mic do cheaper seems better in stated characteristic.
problem solved!

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 04:13 PM

lol

the hgz1 in serbia costs 108 euros or 158$, and average sallary us arround 200$

hehe, i like my country...a Sherwood Forrest with government like Sheriff of Nottingham but with no Robbin Hood in sight :)

http://www.bmfoto.rs/product_sony-ecm-hgz1_2495

Milutin Labudovic December 10th, 2009 04:58 PM

i am reading now a little on this hzg mic, it looks like a not good microfon on web discussions. (?)
so i will order a proprietary shoe and keep this Sony SOECMMSD1 ECM-MSD1.
it is not easy to buy things remotely, and not try them.
in here, there is nowhere to try to see and hear.
as i read this Sony SOECMMSD1 ECM-MSD1 is excellent for hand held interviews, which i have a plan of doing.
sorry to bother the forum, but remote buying is not an easy stuff :)
if there is not blood thearsty serbian customs i would order and azden mic also and sell one which is not right, here the price difference is so high i could make a buissines, earn some bucks, instead of journalism in plane old buy & sell stuff :)

Predrag Vasic December 10th, 2009 09:46 PM

straying a bit further from the topic...

It is somewhat unfair to compare US market with any other market in the world. When we look at B&H, J&R, even Amazon and others, their pricing is always without retail tax. Even if you add that tax, Americans have it so easy, with retail tax in single digits throughout the country, and in many states, low single digits. Not to mention, cheating on those retail taxes is widespread, with people ordering online from an out-of-state store, and then never paying the required retail tax to their home state tax authorities. Couple that with frequent offers of free shipping within the US by many of those retailers, and nobody in the world (save for Chinese, perhaps) can beat their prices.

Eventually, Serbia will become part of EU, so the customs presumably won't be as draconian anymore. Until then, try to work out a deal with Serbian expats in US. We all travel home occasionally, so bringing stuff back shouldn't be too much of a burden, especially if it isn't something as big as an iMac...

Milutin Labudovic December 11th, 2009 05:48 AM

nice offerings, and thank you.
i have realitives i USA so i `use` them to get part of my equipment when ever i can. but not everybody is so lucky.
however, it is not a small thing to ask a stranger to bring you something from abroad, and usually people hate x2 that kind of asking - but very nice an encouraging to see there are good willing people.
when you come to our little Sherwood Forrest, i`ll be happy to treat a drink. :)