DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   5.1 Audio In-Camera Recording (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/484342-5-1-audio-camera-recording.html)

Andrew Clark September 6th, 2010 11:47 AM

5.1 Audio In-Camera Recording

Hello -

Those of you who use one of the many AVCHD camcorders that are able to record 5.1 sound, can you enlighten me on how you are working with the recorded 5.1 audio in your NLE?

I'm curious as to know how it shows up in the NLE; one audio track or 6 audio tracks?

Ron Evans September 6th, 2010 03:28 PM

In Vegas one can start a 5.1 project and then all tracks show up if dragging a file from my Sony XR500 AVCHD camera to the timeline. Two stereo tracks ( front left and right, surround left and right and mono center channel and sub) Normally there is nothing in the sub channel though. I use the Sony Bluetooth mic to record center channel audio for my mixes.

Ron Evans

Andrew Clark September 6th, 2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1566589)
In Vegas one can start a 5.1 project and then all tracks show up if dragging a file from my Sony XR500 AVCHD camera to the timeline. Two stereo tracks ( front left and right, surround left and right and mono center channel and sub) Normally there is nothing in the sub channel though. I use the Sony Bluetooth mic to record center channel audio for my mixes.

Ron Evans

Thanks for that info. Ron. I'll probably be using either Edius 5 or more likely PPro CS5; as it seems Edius users mention a bit of a problem with 5.1 "monitoring". Granted that it might be wiser to utilize an "audio" NLE to do this (Audition, Pro Tools, etc...,) but I'd just like to control all 6 tracks individually/manually via the "video" NLE.

Ron Evans September 6th, 2010 08:47 PM

My main NLE is Edius 5.5 but I do all my audio in Vegas and/or Sound Forge. I export individual audio tracks from Edius and edit audio in Vegas. When I have final audio I take the wav file back into Edius. If I wanted 5.1 I would export from Ediius and do the final mix in Vegas so that I could get a correct 5.1 file on export.

For AVCHD I don't even bother with exporting as I can get full audio by inserting the full files from the cameras in Vegas anyway and ignoring the video. Most of my projects are multicam with NX5U, SR11, XR500 and occasionally EX3. I just use the stereo tracks in Edius to get a sync point for editing audio in Vegas.

Maybe Edius 6 will be a lot better for audio. I guess we will know in a few days.

Ron Evans

Andrew Clark September 8th, 2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1566666)
....Most of my projects are multicam with NX5U, SR11, XR500 .....

Ron Evans

Thanks again Ron. Just curious (and a bit off topic), how do you like the NX5U? Does it have a good manual zoom ring...that doesn't have lag?

Ron Evans September 9th, 2010 07:17 AM

Yes since having the lens assembly replaced I like the NX5U. Being able to record long programs without worrying about tape is just great. I can go to a show with SR11, XR500 and NX5U all with large batteries and many hours later go home never having to worry about tape or batteries.

As far as manual zoom I never use it so really can't tell you about feel. All my cameras are always on tripods with Lanc controllers. The NX5U is better than the FX1 with Lanc zoom control starting and stop with a nice smoothness and good slow speed control.

Ron Evans

Andrew Clark September 27th, 2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans (Post 1566666)
My main NLE is Edius 5.5 but I do all my audio in Vegas and/or Sound Forge. I export individual audio tracks from Edius and edit audio in Vegas. When I have final audio I take the wav file back into Edius. If I wanted 5.1 I would export from Ediius and do the final mix in Vegas so that I could get a correct 5.1 file on export.

** Ron, have you completed a 5.1 DVD/BR project? Just wondering because I see many posts in regards to not being able to do a 5.1 export to a DVD/BR because of licensing issues.

Ron Evans September 28th, 2010 08:00 AM

No I have not done any of my theatre projects in 5.1 only stereo. The family stuff is often 5.1 and Vegas will edit this and DVD Architect 5.0 will make a SD DVD or Bluray. Edited files rendered from Vegas are compatible in Architect so there is no re-rendering and chapter marks with names carry over to be chapters in DVD Architect 5.0 for menus. An AVCHD file with 5.1 audio from camera set on the DVD Architect timeline will need audio rendering for some reason but rendered as 5.1 AC3 from Vegas is OK.

Ron Evans