DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Crappy sound (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/77186-crappy-sound.html)

Andrea Miller October 10th, 2006 05:39 AM

Crappy sound

Somebody said that the average joe doesn't have the money to rent a Z1 for only one day, sure. I agree. All those cams are expensive toys, especially when you're not a pro like me. That's why I'm looking at the HVR-A1U and not at the V1, but I really don't see any other cam worth it other than the HVR-A1U because it has XLR connections.
People, are you ready to settle for crappy sound? all those cams you're talking about in the AVCHD format connect mics through jacks! Is that Ok with you?
I'm always surprised when I see people think the sound is not interesting. What do you do with a cam that can't connect pro mics? Film your kids, your cats in the backyard? I really don't have money either, but many there are choices to make? For God sake if you want to make a short doc interviewing your local organic farmers you need XLR, no way around it, so again, what do you do for sound, I'm curious? Am I missing something? Yes, I'm aware of those beachtech.

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 10th, 2006 07:41 AM

So are you suggesting that XLR directly into the camcorder sounds better than XLR run to a Sound Devices or Beachtek device plugged into the 3.5mm plug on the side of the camcorder?

Andrea Miller October 10th, 2006 08:25 AM

yes

Of course I haven't tested it. But using a beachtek supposed that the wiring and circuitry in the camcorder AFTER the jack input is great! maybe it's not! The circuitry behind the jack input was built to connect some cheapo mic bought at Circuit City, right? So is it good enough for pro mics? At least when buying a cam with XLR inputs you are allowed to suppose that the whole circuitry and wiring behind those inputs are on par with what they'll be receiving through those XLR inputs.

I remember the VX2000 and the PD 150. There was more than 1000 bucks difference between the two, and the only difference was that one had XLR inputs, nothing else. When you look at the fact that a DXA-6vu from beachtek costs only $ 250 I have the feeling it costs Sony less to built XLR inputs into a cam. Still there was more than 1000 bucks difference between the two cams. Why? Would sony go through the pain of having two models, more than 1000 bucks apart when consumers can bridge the difference by buying a $ 250 device? If the difference could have been made up with a 250 buck device connected to the cam, everybody would have bought the VX2000. Or was it a marketing device.
Again, I don't know, but I just can't believe the wiring behind the small jack input is as good as the wiring behind an XLR input. But, hey, somebody should test that!

Barry Green October 10th, 2006 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea Miller
I remember the VX2000 and the PD 150. There was more than 1000 bucks
difference between

Not true, there were several differences. Probably the most significant was the XLRs, but they also included a high-res B&W viewfinder on the PD150, and the DVCAM recording format, and the ability to monitor and adjust both audio channels instead of ganging them together. And let's not forget that the PD150 came from Sony's Broadcast division, with a 1-year warranty on parts and labor; the VX2000 came from the Consumer division and had something like a 90-day labor/1-year parts warranty.

There were a lot of differences other than just some XLRs.

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 10th, 2006 11:19 AM

No point in testing it, there is very little, if any difference in the signal flow once the signal is in the camcorder. True, there may be some differences in the DACs, but those will be exceptionally minimal, at worst.
There is no difference in the quality of audio from a balanced line vs an unbalanced line when the cable lengths are very short, as they are when using a DI, Beachtek, or similar conversion device. The cables are less than 24" and that's not any kind of a concern at all. If we're talking lengths of greater than 3', then you've got some reason to start worrying.

Andrea Miller October 10th, 2006 05:38 PM

Ok

Barry and Douglas I'm going to believe you since you have much more experience that I have. I think I speculated wrong.
Well, good, so maybe I'm going to consider the Fx1 or the Fx7 after all.
Thanks
Andrea

Allan Black October 11th, 2006 02:03 AM

Quote:

I'm always surprised when I see people think the sound is not interesting.
I'm shooting programs on aircraft restoration and there's this huge reverberant hangar, it's big. The engineers are milling about the aircraft working on various projects, it looks industrious and interesting, the widescreen pix are great.

Suddenly one of the techs. picks up a drill and starts it up. ZOWEEE! the sound reverbs around this beautiful hangar and the picture leaps into life, it's head snapping, the audience is jerked upright, the show is ON!

After 6 months of this, I now set it up and cue the tools, like a WB cartoon.

I'm using a RODE Stereo Videomic, 3.5mm jack presently into a Panasonic GS400.