DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   HDD-SR1 or Canon HV10 or HC3: for edit together (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/78228-hdd-sr1-canon-hv10-hc3-edit-together.html)

Tyson Persall October 25th, 2006 07:04 PM

HDD-SR1 or Canon HV10 or HC3: for edit together

Your thoughts:
For a multi-camera shoot, which would be better. An HDD-SR1 or Canon HV10. I have to buy one tommorow.

SR1 has larger screen and I like the way it feels. and it has a mic input. However I am not an expert on AVCHD. Can I edit HDV with AVCHD? Can I convert AVCHD to cineform HD? Is this a bad idea? If you capture AVCHD over firewire does that not become HDV to premiere pro?

The canon HV10 is kind of punny but boasts that 1920 x 1080 but dosnt have HDMI output. Does it have mic input...?

No time to research. Any help apreciated. Thanks.

Jack Zhang October 25th, 2006 08:24 PM

Best bet if you have the Intensity HDMI capture card: SR1

Best bet for any other uncompressed HD capture card: HV10

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 25th, 2006 09:11 PM

If you *have* to buy one or the other tomorrow, I'd suggest that you look at the SR1.
The HC10 has shown some issues that I've been able to duplicate on a moving ATV.
http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/...tpass&id=7ha0f
has a vid that you might want to check out. On a tripod or "normal" handheld, it seems to be just great.

Paulo Teixeira October 25th, 2006 10:17 PM

Camcorderinfo says the picture quality of the HV10 is better and Douglas Spotted Eagle says the SR1 is better.
At least Douglas Spotted Eagle did a real world test.

The fact that you get a focusing ring around the lens of the SR1 is a very big advantage over the HV10 although the HV10 is easier to edit with at the moment. I wish I had both in my hands to give a straight answer concerning the picture quality.

By the way Douglas Spotted Eagle, the link doesn’t work.

Tyson Persall October 26th, 2006 12:41 AM

Yeah, I was at Circut city in Atlanta and played with both of them.
I liked everything about the SR1 except that it was a AVCHD camera.
The size and weight was better than the HC3. The focus ring was nice and I loved the larger LCD monitor. It also had a more improved looking touch screen interface, not to mention the audio input. I wish the HC3 had these features.

It makes me even more curious, what sony was intending.

I think Im going to buy the Canon HV10 becasue Im afraid of workflow slowdowns with AVC-HD format.

Luke Burgess October 26th, 2006 01:50 AM

I've been shooting with a couple SR1's for a couple weeks now (hot off the line). The only reason im shooting with them is because my boss is a huge sony fan and he loves the no tape thing. And i must say, im very impressed with how the images look coming out of these little guys. Im usually using a DVX so i thought this was going to be a big pain in my tail (and yes, it can be very difficult and frustrating when trying to manually adjust focus and exposure in the operating room) but im absolutely loving the hard drive thing. Right after surgery, I transfer the footage through USB right into his fancy new sony vaio with a blu-ray drive. The footage transfers so dang fast. Now, my boss doesn't really know diddly about cameras, he just wants the latest and greatest toys. So naturally he didn't take into consideration how the heck i was going to edit the AVCHD files. Other than that one small, tiny, ency weensy problem, I love this little camera.

Luke

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 26th, 2006 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira

By the way Douglas Spotted Eagle, the link doesn’t work.

Hmm....you might want to visit the skydivingmovies.com website, and in the large search box, search for Canon. You'll find very few results, and the HC10 will pop up immediately.
I like the HDV aspect of the HC10 much better than the editing aspect of the SR1, but the SR1 doesn't have the imager stabilization issues that the HC10 has. Not an opinion, it's been verified by several HC10 owners that are Xtreme sport fans. Not just skydiving either, a rock climber that was capturing some rappelling shots experienced the same result.
I like the form factor of the HC10 as well, and won't likely be returning mine.

Ron Evans October 26th, 2006 07:45 AM

Douglas
The Camcorderinfo site test of the SR1 says that it has a video noise problem common to the UX1 and worse than the 505. In your view is this noticable? The SR1 has a lot going for it if the noise is acceptable.

Ron Evans

Tyson Persall October 26th, 2006 10:34 AM

I would get the SR1 but im just worreid about "how am I going to edit it with my other HDV cameras".

Well, Im off to the store.

Luke Burgess October 26th, 2006 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=Tyson Persall]I would get the SR1 but im just worreid about "how am I going to edit it with my other HDV cameras".

I use Vegas and there is no support for these files. I spoke with someone from Sony (who knows if she actually had any clue) and she told me they were working on it. Until then, whats the best way to convert these files? I need to start editing this stuff.

Luke

Pierre Barberis October 26th, 2006 12:18 PM

Stick to HDV, and therefore to Canon HV10 ( or SONY HC3). This is the only editable format today.
Chris Hurd agrees, i think.

Steve Nunez October 27th, 2006 11:18 AM

So the real issue is, the AVCHD cams shoot straight to hard-drive which we all like but the format it records in, is un-editable at the present time and is agreed to be a less than optimal HD format when compared to HDV (also not perfect but generally good) but the present HDV camcorders don't shoot directly to HD which I think we all agree we'd like.......let's hope JVC's upcoming HD-HDD camcorder doesn't mess this up. I know JVC can't claim it's a D-T-D HDV as HDV is a "tape" format- let's hope they use a TS type of compression and not much else- or else we'll have more issues with another HD variant.

These are interesting times in the world of consumer HD and it's variants.....let's hope the quality stays high and editable for both PC and Mac's.

Guy Bruner October 28th, 2006 07:43 PM

It has been reported that the new TMPEGEnc 4 will edit AVCHD.

Lee Wilson October 28th, 2006 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Hmm....you might want to visit the skydivingmovies.com website, and in the large search box, search for Canon. You'll find very few results, and the HC10 will pop up immediately.
I like the HDV aspect of the HC10 much better than the editing aspect of the SR1, but the SR1 doesn't have the imager stabilization issues that the HC10 has. Not an opinion, it's been verified by several HC10 owners that are Xtreme sport fans. Not just skydiving either, a rock climber that was capturing some rappelling shots experienced the same result.
I like the form factor of the HC10 as well, and won't likely be returning mine.

Douglas, you allude to the stabilization issues of the HV10 (V V V V V !!! ...V!! ) but fail to tell us what this issue might be ??

If it is not a secret could you please share it with us !! :)

Lee

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 29th, 2006 12:11 AM

Sorry, I don't know why I keep referring to it as the HC...guess it's the Sony HC1/3 that keep me doing so.
Anyway, at minor vibration, even with OIS disabled, the image is jumpy. This is confirmed by at least 7 people I've spoken with via email or in person, that mine isn't the only one exhibiting this issue. I see it on my ATV as well, when dolly-tracking horse shots or dirt bikes.
there is an uploaded movie on the skydivingmovies.com site that clearly shows it at its worst, which is why i've linked it.

Lee Wilson October 29th, 2006 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Sorry, I don't know why I keep referring to it as the HC...guess it's the Sony HC1/3 that keep me doing so.
Anyway, at minor vibration, even with OIS disabled, the image is jumpy. This is confirmed by at least 7 people I've spoken with via email or in person, that mine isn't the only one exhibiting this issue. I see it on my ATV as well, when dolly-tracking horse shots or dirt bikes.
there is an uploaded movie on the skydivingmovies.com site that clearly shows it at its worst, which is why i've linked it.

I will have to look out for that !

Luke Burgess October 29th, 2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Bruner
It has been reported that the new TMPEGEnc 4 will edit AVCHD.

Whats the word on this?

Luke

Guy Bruner October 31st, 2006 11:43 AM

Folks are reporting that using Cyberlink's PowerDVD 7 (for the codecs) and TMPGEnc 4 works for editing.

Douglas Spotted Eagle October 31st, 2006 11:47 AM

Same with the Nero Showtime codecs, they work great.

Guy Bruner October 31st, 2006 11:54 AM

Spot,
I have Nero Showtime, but I can't get Vegas to use them. Have you had any success with this?