DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Sony HDR-CX7 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/98648-sony-hdr-cx7.html)

Matt Sakakeeny July 10th, 2007 07:21 PM

Sony HDR-CX7

i didn't know where else to put this, so i figured here. has anyone tried out the new cx7? i'm guessing it shoots full 1920x1080 to the memory card, which appeals to me, along with no capturing time. anything would be great. thanks
here's a link
https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...52921665089063

Leon Chen July 11th, 2007 02:57 AM

i don't think CX7 shoot 1920X1080

CX7 is virtually same as SR7/SR8 except its memory stick duo media. So it should also shoot 1440 x 1080 .

Laurence Kingston August 16th, 2007 02:50 PM

Definately 1440 x 1080. I ordered one today, largely based on the sample footage I downloaded from here:

http://www.hdr-cx7.blogspot.com/

Steve Royer August 16th, 2007 03:48 PM

I wish that blogspot had more quicktime or windows media player video samples. This is the only camera nipping at the heels of the HG10 for me to get this xmas. I'm planning to shoot short films and then family stuff as well... and being an artist I want to edit everything i can.

Since these are the same price and the 24p is included in the canon I'm leaning on the HG10 for now.

Great link though, I'd love to hear more comments from users!

Luc Fender August 19th, 2007 03:26 PM

What I don't understand with the CX7 is that you need to buy memorysticks and each 8GB memorystick (1 hour HQ video I presume) cost more than $150.
So seems very expensive even for short recordings.

Chris Hurd August 19th, 2007 04:34 PM

Why would you need more than one or two 8GB Memory Sticks?

Also... they're expensive only if you use them one single time...

The 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo holds 55 minutes of HD video at HQ quality (2nd best compression mode).

Laurence Kingston August 19th, 2007 09:41 PM

You only need enough memory stick memory for however long you need to be able to shoot before dumping the memory to your laptop. That or you can dump to DVD using one of these:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...5948&langId=-1

Sorin Vassa August 20th, 2007 02:43 AM

i have from my photo work a portable hdd rack, it has batteries and card reader for all types of cards. it's a small and quick way to carry 200gb in your pocket. when i got the rack was i think ~140 euro. you should be able to transfer 60-80gb until batteries need charging.

Luc Fender August 20th, 2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 731220)
Why would you need more than one or two 8GB Memory Sticks?

Also... they're expensive only if you use them one single time...

The 4GB Memory Stick Pro Duo holds 55 minutes of HD video at HQ quality (2nd best compression mode).

Why not a HDD? If you ever need to record more than 55 minutes on a day you have a problem... Since then you have to wait first to empty it (quiet a hassle). I guess it's not for vacation videos.

Plus you now also have to add the costs of a backup device. Now if Sony would have chosen cheap Compactflash (which will never happen of course), plus you could get 16GB.

Chris Hurd August 20th, 2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc Fender (Post 731483)
Why not a HDD?

Well, if you want an HDD camcorder, Sony already makes several of them... such as the HDR-SR8 with a 100GB hard drive, the HDR-SR7 with a 60GB hard drive, or the HDR-SR5 with a 40GB hard drive, to name a few. All are AVCHD High Definition camcorders.

Recording media for AVCHD can be either disc-based, drive-based or flash memory. Sony makes all three kinds of camcorders. The CX7 records to flash memory, but if you prefer to record to a hard drive, then you have several other choices of Sony AVCHD camcorders. It's all about knowing what you want and choosing the model that's right for you.

Laurence Kingston August 20th, 2007 07:56 PM

I can see where one of the hard disc models would be the best choice for many people.

I just got my CX7 today though and I really wanted something solid state. I like several things about it. One is that I rarely capture that much footage in a day when I'm not on a formal shoot.

I have an HVR-A1 that I use mostly for outdoor event type shooting that works wonderfully, but even then, I rarely shoot more than two or three tapes in a day.

The CX7 is not for formal shoots though. It is a tiny camera that I can take with me when I play with my kids in the park, for birthday parties, family events, and just general clowning around. It really is perfect for this. It shoots both stills and video, the image is absolutely stunning, and when you're done you can stick it in your pocket and forget about it. For that type of casual shooting, 65 minutes at the highest quality is more than enough.

When you want to look at the footage, you just pop the SD card in the PS3 and you can thumb through and watch all the pictures and video. It really is the perfect camera for casual applications. At the same time, the image is really incredible quality. I just love it.

To be honest, I could easily use it on a real shoot. I have one 8 gig card. I would just need two more. That would take me through any of the days I've shot so far. The biggest problem would be that it's not that great in low light and the fact that it really looks like a consumer grade camera. It would make people think twice about paying you professional rates. Then again, that tiny "regular home camera" look is exactly what I need much of the time.

The low light thing is not that big a deal to me. When it gets dark I go home anyway. To someone shooting wedding receptions though, it could be a real deal killer. Anyway, I love my CX7 so far. To have such a great image in such a small and easy to use camera is really amazingly cool!

Douglas Spotted Eagle August 20th, 2007 08:01 PM

Anyway, I love my CX7 so far. To have such a great image in such a small and easy to use camera is really amazingly cool!

My feelings exactly. For such a low price, this small package delivers. I can't wait to get my hands on the Canon as well.

Steve Royer August 20th, 2007 09:14 PM

I have a psp, ps3 and sony cyber shot camera that all use memory stick pro duo. I only have 2-1gig sticks though, and would have to invest in some more memory if i go with this instead of the canon HG10.

If I were planning to shoot and edit short films (mostly in the daytime) would this one really get the job done? I'm starting to think that any HD footage will be useable with the right lighting, story and framing when it comes to indie films.

I also am very interested in green screen work with the CX7 vs HG10. You guys sound pretty pleased with your CX-7s.

Laurence Kingston August 21st, 2007 12:16 AM

Editing AVCHD footage can be a bit of a pain. I use Vegas and I can edit one of two ways. I can convert the footage into Cineform or I can generate proxies with the VASST Gearshift script and edit them (though the Gearshift script needs some minor work for a smoother workflow with MTS clips). You could find yourself having a tough time editing the footage in Premier or FCP though.

Luc Fender August 22nd, 2007 12:12 PM

Wolfgang has some comparison clips of CX6 (which I think is the same as CX7?) and HV20 here: http://www.fxsupport.de/24.html

Different concept of camcorders but still interesting to compare.