DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   AVCHD Format Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/)
-   -   Best Software for SR1 ?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avchd-format-discussion/99770-best-software-sr1.html)

Jamie Lauzon July 25th, 2007 01:50 PM

Best Software for SR1 ??

Hi All

I've enjoyed reading all the information on this site but must admit that some of it is way too technical for me. I have an SR1, a new baby and am enjoying both! I haven't done any editing yet as the hard drive is not full but was wondering what is the best and easiest software for basic editing and video creation. I've read a lot of the suggestions here but not sure if they are more than I really need. For that matter is the software that comes with the camera good enough for the basics? I would like to create some movies with sound and minor editing but not much more than that. I have a new laptop with a dual core processor and good video card with an HDMI connection so hardware should not be an issue.

Your recommendations would be most appreaciated

Douglas Spotted Eagle July 25th, 2007 02:14 PM

Sony Vegas Movie Studio is a good option; I believe a demo of it came with your SR1?
it's plenty powerful to not only create short family/home movies, but has been used quite often for broadcast, yet is easy to learn.
You'll capture/transfer via USB, and that's about all the interfacing you'll need to worry about. You can send your media player over HDMI if you wish, to view the footage on a TV, but otherwise, you'll not be using the HDMI connection.

Jamie Lauzon July 25th, 2007 02:46 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, to be honest I haven't even installed the software because my old computer won't handle it and my new one is being delivered soon. I will give the demo a try. I specificaly wanted the HDMI port for connecting the laptop to my HDTV for easy high def viewing!! Thanks again.

Ron Evans July 26th, 2007 08:07 AM

I have a SR7 that came with Sony Motion Browser software so I expect you have the same too. This will auto backup to the PC and produce both AVCHD and normal DVD's for you . IT is cuts only editing which I think is what you want. You probably don't need to buy anything. Mixing sound and effects will need something a bit better than the software that came with the camera. But you can wait to do that. Get started by making a backup to the PC with the software that came with the camera. Make some AVCHD discs of your videos even if you can't play them yet so that you have a backup at HD and make some normal DVD's so that you can watch them anywhere( grandparents?). Videos of your baby in the future will be priceless.( make several discs, they're cheap)

Ron Evans

Robert Gardner August 2nd, 2007 09:23 PM

If you are willing to do a little reading and learning, Pinnacle Studio is also an affordable editor. We have used it with several camaras since version 8 and the new version 11 handles the AVCDH well. It has a lot of output options and has a lot of nice transitions and fades as well. My wife uses it to do her photo slide show DVD's for her wedding photography business as well. Very versatile and feature packed for the money. Around $150.