DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   24PAdvanced on Avid (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/10309-24padvanced-avid.html)

Peter Richardson May 30th, 2003 06:30 PM

24PAdvanced on Avid

Hey guys--So I'm shooting a doc on the DVX100 and Elizabeth (who also posted on this forum) is going to be editing. I'm shooting 24P Advanced and have a question about how to edit this in the Avid. I'm aware that dvfilm makes a third party program that could do our inverse telecine, but of course what we'd like to do is cut it straight in the Avid. To this end, here is my question:

Avid Express Pro will be coming out in early August according to Elizabeth and message boards she has read on Avid's website. When it does come out it will have built-in support of the DVX100 (just like FCP4). But we'd like to start logging footage now. Does anyone know if it is possible to log our footage into DVXpress now as Advanced ftg (leaving in 29.97) and then when Express Pro comes out import all this footage and do the inverse telecine as we import? Thanks guys!

peter

Jeff Donald May 31st, 2003 06:21 AM

On some of the Avid forums I've read, they mention a plugin called FilmScribe. I don't know if this is included or an optional add on. My understanding is FilmScribe allows Xpress DV (normally 30fps) to edit at 24fps. This should allow you to start now and move your project over, via OMF, to a future version or upward to Composer or Symphony.

Stephen van Vuuren May 31st, 2003 10:42 AM

Thanks - Jeff.

Peter - if Filmscribe turns out to do the trick, let us know so we can post it here as NLE questions about 24p are pretty common.

Peter Richardson June 2nd, 2003 06:31 PM

Will do guys. The only problem I can see with Filmscribe, or the only thing it can't do, is allow us to do inverse telecine. From what I gather it allows you to edit in a 24fps environment, but doesn't do any inversing. Is this right? And if so, could we then just use some other third party program to do the inverse telecine then pull it into Xpress DV with Filmscribe. I'm a little wary of all this b/c I don't want to do all this work and then have no compatability b/t the Xpress and Express Pro. Anyway, thanks again for the advice guys and I will definitely let you all know what, if any, solution we find.

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren June 2nd, 2003 06:33 PM

AfterEffects does inverse telecine...

Peter Richardson June 2nd, 2003 06:41 PM

Thanks Stephen. We're shooting all our stuff in 24P Advanced, so does that mean we could pull our selects into After Effects, run the inverse telecine, then pull those clips into DV Xpress using the Filmscribe software? I guess what I'm asking is: Does After Effects run inverse telecine on 24P Advanced, too? Thanks!

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren June 2nd, 2003 08:42 PM

Ouch - I'm not sure about that. AE does not have built-in support for the cam i.e. 24pa, but with some work, I'm sure you can get it to work. How, not sure, but you might post on the AE list at fido.

Peter Richardson June 3rd, 2003 07:03 PM

Thanks Stephen, I'll give it a shot.

Peter

Dom Q. Silverio June 3rd, 2003 09:27 PM

Avid XPro will remove pulldown on the fly during batch dig for 24pA only [no 2:3].
It will also add it in RT furing playback for NTSC monitor.

Filmscribe is a matchback software, meaning it is for handling 24/23.97 originated material for EDL/Cutlist purposes.

Peter Richardson June 4th, 2003 01:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification Dom. I also have a limited amount of material shot in 24P standard, which I assume will need to be imported into AE for inverse telecine and then brought into Xpress Pro? Lastly, do you have any idea if what we're trying to do is possible: ie. Start work on the project now, digitizing mostly (no editing) and once Xpress Pro is released import all this material into it and remove the advanced pulldown. I guess a better way to ask this is: will Xpress Pro remove the pulldown on footage that you import, or will it only work when you are digitizing directly from the camera?

Thanks!

peter

Dom Q. Silverio June 6th, 2003 05:28 AM

It will remove it during batch dig is what many have been reporting. Removal of 2:3 outside of recording has not been dealt. There is no report to confirm or deny.

If not you always have DV filmmaker - sorry I could not be of better help.

BTW - the adding pulldown for NTSC playback is feature that require Mojo.

Peter Richardson June 6th, 2003 01:44 PM

Thanks Dom. My editor Elizabeth is putting a call into Avid (actually several--tech support always seems to give diff answers) regarding the importing of advanced footage, so we're keeping our fingers crossed. Sorry to ask this, but what would the workflow scenario be if we used DV Filmmaker? Assuming we started digitizing into DV Xpress and then had our later move to Xpress Pro? Thanks again!

Peter

Stephen van Vuuren June 6th, 2003 02:02 PM

Peter:

Per DV Filmmaker, look over these two:

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/dvx100.htm

http://www.dvfilm.com/maker/24P.htm

Peter Richardson June 6th, 2003 02:16 PM

Thanks Stephen, I'll check them out.

Peter

Elizabeth Leliaert June 10th, 2003 11:37 AM

I've spoken to several Avid representatives and they've all given me the same (or fairly similar) answers to our question. We will not be able to digitize the 24pa footage into DV Express and transfer it to Xpress Pro when we upgrade (btw there is still no official release date for Xpress Pro, but it's tentatively slated for sometime in august). XPress Pro will only remove the pulldown while digitizing, not when importing media files. One of the 4 reps thinks there might be a possibility of using DV filmmaker to load to DV Express, but he can't guarantee that it will work or that the media files will then transfer to Xpress Pro. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.