DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   What Avid Needs to Do (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/107400-what-avid-needs-do.html)

Richard Alvarez January 3rd, 2008 11:56 AM

Avids hardware specifications are more 'open' than Apples and FINAL CUT PRO, but that is not enough for some people. I've watched Vegas go from a simple enough app that ran on virtually ANYTHING, and as it has grown, so has its problems and 'requirements'. Its a side effect of the complexity of the programming I think. (The howls and complaints about Vegas 8 bugs and 'why isn't it working on my computer now, when 7 worked great... can be found all over the Vegas forum)

Avid is a very very solid and very very powerfull NLE, when running on authorized systems. Not to say it WON'T run on non-authorized systems, my copy of AXP is running great on my non authorized set-up... BUT as the newer releases require more power or specific boards, systems can and do become obsolete or drop out of 'authorization'. This is True of FCP too, if you think about it.

Bill Mecca January 3rd, 2008 03:11 PM

Hey Stiv!!!

just wanted to say hi, it's been a loooooong time man. Don't wanna be a Rat Bastard!

back on topic. I find it humourous how Avid seems to have dropped Mac, and has difficulties with quicktime, since it started on Mac. what's up with that.

I use older Avid at work and home and have Vegas 6 at home as well, and while I am much faster on Avid, I would like to to be able to do what Vegas does.... make audio and other adjustments as the timeline plays rather than stoppign playback when you click the mouse or hit a key. (granted my Avid systems are older and maybe I am out of touch)

Mike, remember the Klondike bars at 5 a.m.???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Stivala (Post 798368)
1. the ability to modify clips

2. PRICE!!!! What the hell is so hard about developing a software based Media Composer with w decent color corrector for under $2K??

3. Support MAc users more! Seems as if Avid updates to their Mac products are an afterthought.

4. Integrate "segment mode" better. Why do I have to come "in and out" of this mode to be able to move clips in the timeline.7

5. Learn to speak Quicktime

6. Drop the "old school editor" thinking. Basically Avid is designed to work most efficiently if you work like...let's say..."old school" editors think-
"mark in - mark out - hit record. Whereas FCP is much more computer intuitive - it's more about cut and paste, move and replace, etc..)

Peter Moretti January 3rd, 2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Mecca (Post 802141)
... I would like to to be able to do what Vegas does.... make audio and other adjustments as the timeline plays rather than stoppign playback when you click the mouse or hit a key. (granted my Avid systems are older and maybe I am out of touch)...

There isn't a way to do this in Avid Express Pro? I figured I'm just to new to the program to get the timeline to continue playing but that there had to be a way to do it.

Richard Alvarez January 3rd, 2008 05:38 PM

Avid hasn't dropped MAC, it still ships with a copy for Mac and PC when you buy a copy, true for both MC and AXP.Drop by Avid.com and visit the MAC forums.

Bill Mecca January 3rd, 2008 06:44 PM

you're right, dropped was a poor choice of words maybe neglected would be better. I know mac users were lamenting the delay in new releases and I beleive the lack of some features. But again I may be out of date, I haven't had to purchase a system ina while. ( i use em till they die lol)

As for the timeline playing, I haven't found a way.

David Parks January 3rd, 2008 10:43 PM

Bill,

That was an issue in the past, but now for the most part (different 3rd party bundles) PC and MAC version are identiacal.

Cheers

Bill Mecca January 4th, 2008 09:06 AM

Thanks David, that's good to know.