DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   How do I Export 25P HDV from Media Composer to make a DVD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/146428-how-do-i-export-25p-hdv-media-composer-make-dvd.html)

Stuart Graham March 23rd, 2009 01:33 PM

How do I Export 25P HDV from Media Composer to make a DVD?

Hi

I have made a film and it's all edited now, yay! :)

However, I can't work out how best to export it from Media Composer to make a DVD :(

My film was shot at 25P in 1080 HDV on a PAL Canon XH A1 and is approximately 40 minutes in length.

The film is currently in a 1440 x 1080 50i Media Composer 3.0 project. The Media Composer DVD authoring software doesn't work, I think it's because its the cut down academic version of Media Composer we use at our University. So I need to export a file I can use to author a DVD within TMPGenc 4.0 Xpress.

What's the best way to export a file I can put onto an anamorphic 16:9 PAL DVD using TMPGenc?

I've been trawling the web for solutions but they all seem to be geared towards 24P not 25P and they lack the detail I need. There are too many settings in the Media Composer export menus for me, I'm not that hot on video formats. So far I've made attempts which have given enormous files over 40GB or have no audio or are poor quality.

We do have Sorenson Squeeze 4 if that's any use.

Thanks very much anyone who can help, I'm really stuck! :(

Bill Busby March 24th, 2009 02:12 AM

Did you try exporting a QT ref, and importing that into your encoder?

Stuart Graham March 24th, 2009 03:05 AM

Hi Bill

Haven't tried that. I read in various articles it won't work with high definition video. But I'll give it a try if you think it might work.

Bill Busby March 24th, 2009 05:20 AM

I was aware of that and thought it was fixed, in MC3.5 at least. Maybe not. Try transcoding to DNxHD first, the export a QT Ref. That should work.

Stuart Graham March 24th, 2009 10:28 AM

Thanks very much for your help Bill.

We've got version 3.0 I'm afraid. Is the transcode option easy to use?

Does transcode convert your entire project to another format rather than outputting a new file?

Bill Busby March 24th, 2009 10:40 AM

Stuart, hopefully someone else can chime in here. I don't cut on MC... just an archaic version of XpressDV. But from what I've read & heard, transcoding to DNxHD makes a new file out of your sequence that can be used for a QT ref. Time wise, either transcoding or just making a self contained QT file out of your current sequence may take the same amount of time. Of course either method will be making one more large file.

I think there's a sticky thread somewhere on the forums at Avid.com.

Stuart Graham March 24th, 2009 11:39 AM

Cheers Bill!

I'm just about to start transcoding, below are the settings I used, I have also described exactly what I did so if it works I can refer to it for the next film :) I think it's all correct but I'm not sure about the handle length (I don't even know what a handle is):

First I made sure all my tracks were selected.

I right clicked on my sequence in its bin, then selected 'Consolidate/Transcode'.

In the menu I selected the 'transcode' button, I left it at the default 50 frame 'handle length'. The 'create new sequence' box was ticked and the 'convert video' box was also ticked with the only available option being 'DNxHD-TR 120 MXF'.

The predicted file size is 75774MB (it's about a 40 minute film).

I think it's all correct but I'm not sure about the handle length. I'll get back to you when it's done.

My word, it's taking ages to transcode!

Stuart Graham March 24th, 2009 02:21 PM

I carried out the transcoding and Avid created a DNxHD sequence. At first this played video and no sound, but restarting Avid fixed that problem.

Then I selected 'export...' by right clicking on the new sequence and under options I selected:-

Export: Quicktime reference
Defaults: Digital Mastering
Flatten video tracks: ticked
Fill spaces with black: ticked
Render all video effects: ticked
Display aspect ratio was set to 16:9 square pixel (1920 x 1080)
Audio format: WAVE
Sample rate: project
Sample bit depth: project
Use network media refs: unticked
Use Avid DV Codec: unticked
Color levels: RGB

After a short time a 455MB file was generated. But when you play the file you only get audio, there is no video. Have I used the wrong settings?

Stuart Graham March 24th, 2009 02:33 PM

Doh! I was being daft and opened the wrong file, I didn't realise it had generated an audio and a video file, I opened the audio one. Doh and double doh!

Bill Busby March 24th, 2009 02:40 PM

actually QT Ref doesn't really create a video "file" at all. It's just a small file that points to the original media. That's the beauty of it. It takes very little time & there's no recompression.

Bill Busby March 24th, 2009 02:43 PM

Actually if this is for DVD, you should NOT check 16x9 in the QT Ref settings. Check the 16x9 flag in your encoder to do it properly.

Stuart Graham March 26th, 2009 04:24 PM

Thanks Bill. I repeated the QTref export from Avid Media Composer with the Display Aspect Ratio' set to 4:3 square pixel (1440 x 1080) - see post 8 above.

When I encoded this to a DVD compliant mpeg file in TMPGenc using 16:9 display settings I got a file which when burnt to DVD plays anamorphically in widescreen on my telly, yay!

Not sure if I've got all the TMPGenc settings right yet as I get small black bars top and bottom on the TV and it perhaps looks a little stretched horizontally. I get black overscan side bars when I watch the file on the PC but these don't show up on the telly. I think this is because I encoded it as 720 x 576 when perhaps I should have used 704 x 576. I'll try exporting as 704x576 when I have the energy. Video formats get me seriously distressed, but it's good when it finally works.

If I get all the TMPGenc settings nailed I'll post them here and hopefully someone will find them useful.

BTW transcoding your sequence generates a new set of DNxHD files and also creates a new sequence which points to those files, and it all ends up in the same bin! You can edit the new sequence normally as far as I can tell.

Thanks again for all your help Bill :)
I would probably still be floundering in the great video format bog otherwise.

Peter Szilveszter April 4th, 2009 05:30 PM

Another option is simply output the file to m2t and then to convert to dvd fromat using your prefered encoder set it to deinterlace. For me it works perfect, no jaggies nothing just clean progressive dvd's

Bill Busby April 4th, 2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart Graham (Post 1034173)
BTW transcoding your sequence generates a new set of DNxHD files and also creates a new sequence which points to those files, and it all ends up in the same bin! You can edit the new sequence normally as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure how I missed this post, Peter... but it's always better to make a new bin, name it something that references what it is (transcode in this case) then duplicate your sequence, then drag that copy to the new bin. It helps keep everything in it's place.

Stuart Graham April 27th, 2009 03:21 PM

Thanks Bill, I realised that with hindsight. I ended up with a rather enormous bin full of clips.