DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Transcoding 59.94i to 23.98 for Avid MC 3.5 project (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/237522-transcoding-59-94i-23-98-avid-mc-3-5-project.html)

Kevin Badami June 17th, 2009 01:49 PM

Transcoding 59.94i to 23.98 for Avid MC 3.5 project

Hi,

I am wondering what would be the best way to transcode some Sony XDCAM footage shot on an EX at 59.94i so that it will import into my 23.98 AVID Media Composer 3.5.x project (which also has some other XDCAM 23.98 footage on the timeline). Any recommendations on what software would be best to accomplish this on the Mac?

The footage was exported from the SxS cards using EX Clip Browser by a third party, so I don't really have the option of going back to the SxS cards and doing the capture directly into MC 3.5.x, which I assume would be the best workflow as 3.5.x supports XDCAM natively, but I may have a hard time getting my hands on the original SxS cards so it may not be an option.

Bill Ravens June 17th, 2009 02:19 PM

This is not an easy task. You can attempt to do this within Avid MC, tho'. Here's a tut on how to do it:
FRAME RATE CONVERSION

Peter Moretti June 17th, 2009 02:30 PM

I would also look at transcoding programs like TMPGEnc Xpress 4.0 and MPEG Streamclip. I use TMPGEnc and find it very good with things like frame rate conversions. DV Film also has a product called DVFilmmaker that might do what you need.

You'll probably want to transcode into DNxHD when you do the frame rate conversion so the file will fast import into Avid. But, IIRC, choose "Millions of Colors" and not "Millions of Colors+" (the "+" is used for alpha channels) and specify no alpha channel for the DNxHD file to fast import.

HTH.

Kevin Badami June 17th, 2009 02:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Bill. Indeed, this doesn't look easy. Especially with the amount of footage here. Would you consider doing this inside Avid as the only option?

If I can get my hands on the SxS cards and the camera, would it make this task any easier?

Kevin Badami June 17th, 2009 02:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Peter. I am looking at TMPGEnc... however the editor I am assisting is on a Mac-based AVID. Any solutions you could recommend that could be used in the Mac OS? I know boot camp is an option, just trying to make it as simple as possible.

((EDIT: sorry, i see here that MPG Streamclip will work on the Mac))

Bill Ravens June 17th, 2009 03:08 PM

There's a number of transcoders that will do this job. Cineform is a regular part of my workflow and will change the framerate quite well. As Peter said, TmpGenc and Streamclip, if you can get them to take the mxf input. Procoder3 wll also work. This is a tuff assignment. Finding a method that gives you smooth 24fps motion is problemmatic. All you can do is give each method a try until you find one that works. Avid's fluid motion has always worked the best for myself. Adobe After FX has a good way to change framerate, but, the render times are quite long. longer than other methods. Again Avid will do the job quickly if you transcode all the XDCAM files and output them as a QTref.

Kevin Badami June 17th, 2009 03:26 PM

So I assume if I can get the EX and the SxS cards it will be easier because I can transcode the media before it's re-wrapped as MXF files?

Bill Ravens June 17th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Badami (Post 1159846)
So I assume if I can get the EX and the SxS cards it will be easier because I can transcode the media before it's re-wrapped as MXF files?

It doesn't matter what the source is, once it has been recorded. Whether you come from the SxS card or the transcoded mxf, it should be the same job.

Kevin Badami June 17th, 2009 04:45 PM

Alright thanks for all the information, much appreciated. I was just thinking there might be a problem getting MPG Streamclip to injest the MXF format. I believe your suggestion about AVID and Timewarp is probably the best option, will try it out. I wish productions had the foresight to shoot everything in the same format, it's quite frustrating :)

Kevin Badami June 18th, 2009 11:22 PM

I do have access to the original file structure from the SxS cards, it was copied onto HDs. With that in mind, I've been looking at Sony's Ex Clip Browser 2.5 and the Export options there. I understand that unless the MainConcept Conversion Pack #2 is licensed, it won't even show you whether or not it has a preset for converting from 60i to 24p frame rates.

Wondering if anyone uses that MainConcept Conversion Pack and if so, will it perform that transcode?