Avid Users here? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family

Avid Editing Family
All flavors of Media Composer, Symphony and more.

Old January 29th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Avid Users here?

I read a lot of posts in this forum of people using Final Cut. I am really astonished about that. In the last years there was a big change in the broadcast industry in germany. A few years ago 90 % of all editors used macīs for editing their stuff. So I do. About two years ago nearly all moved to Intel based Personal Computers mostly using Avid Systems. Can you tell me please what you are using?

Thanks a lot

Thomas from dammed cold Germany
Thomas Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I'm using Windows XP with Adobe Premiere Pro.
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Windows XP, Avid XpressPro.

Avid was originally designed for use on Macs. And many older legacy versions still run on them. Avid currently ships with versions for both Mac and PC.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Trustee

Windows XP, Avid Xpress DV 3.5
Might consider upgrading to Xpress Pro later, but need to get Sony FX1 first...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #5
Major Player

i am using very often two systems -

win xp avid xpress pro 4.3
and
mac g4 FCP

looking for automatic duck to make OMF composition (video) readable on my mac.

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FiliP,
You could load your copy of Avid onto the Mac, and use it there, just plug the dongle in.... just a thought. Otherwise, Automatic Duck will get you into FCP.
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Major Player

Running Avid Xpress Pro on a dual-processor Athlon PC and Windows XP Pro. Avid released the HD version recently and I have been planning on installing that when my monitor suddenly broke! I believe it is power related - just simply refuses to turn on now.

I've been researching a replacement monitor in the meanwhile, probably go with an LCD this time around.
Christopher Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #8
Major Player

Our dinosaur is an AVID Media Composer 4000, still running on a wood-burning Power Mac with removable 9 gig hardrives. But it still works fine!

Our FNGs in the Unit are the AVID Media Composer Adrenaline and AVID Xpress Pro...both running on Windows XP.

http://www.rbravo.com/vsu_equipment.htm

Scroll down to EDITING.

RB
Old January 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Inner Circle

I'm guessing that we "avid heads" are the minority on this board. Just from cursory observation, I'd guess there's at least a vocal majority of Vegas users, followed by Premier, FCP, and about the same number of Avid users as there are "others" IE Liquid, Canopus, Media 100 etc.
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:21 PM   #10
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Go : Running Avid Xpress Pro on a dual-processor Athlon PC and Windows XP Pro. Avid released the HD version recently and I have been planning on installing that when my monitor suddenly broke! I believe it is power related - just simply refuses to turn on now.
-->>>

A friend of mine was telling me that apparently Avid is relying more and more on the Mojo for the new capabilities and less and less on the computer it's linked to. Do you feel that too?

Which Xpress version are you running?

Not now, but probably by the end of the year I would like to start working in HDV. So I better assemble my new PC looking at that.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2005, 01:26 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I don't know that that's an accurate assesment of the programs abilities. The better your computer, the better the program alone runs. The benefit of Mojo of course, is that it allows more realtime capabilities and some importing features that you can't get on your computer. The mojo, and the other "digital nonlinear accelerators' (DNA) that avid sells, have whats called "progamable field gate arrays" in them. This will allow them to be reprogrammed to make maximum use out of faster and faster computers. So its really a symbiotic relationship between Mojo and your cpu.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:47 AM   #12
New Boot

I use Avid Xpress DV 3.5 for personal at home work and FCP HD 4.5 on a G5 at work. I found FCP to be more flexible / user friendly. Also, I hate Media 100 with a passion.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I'm still on symphony v3.1 on NT.
Avid just hasn't offerend many reasons to move beyond this.
I almost broke down and bopught a Nitris last week but just can't justify it's inflated price.
I was juuust about to hop on an 844/X when Media100 got word from above that they will stop getting funding. Bummer.
Xpri still looks good.
I'm gonna demo the new Adrenaline HD on Feb 17th. THe DNxHD technology shows promise. If I can seemlessly work in HDV and SDI on the same timeline with this, I may actually write another check to Avid. If I see any of the old school aliasing I'm so use to seeing with Avid products, I'll have to split early.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:11 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Grinner,

Have you done much work on the Media Composer with Adrenaline? Sweet machine.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:40 PM   #15
Regular Crew

not much
I couldt downgrade to adrenaline when it was released. Biggest egg on avid's face that O have seen int the last 15 years.
I hope the HD version is worthy.
I hoped that about v1 too, though.
It's no media composer. I see it as XDV with some added bells n whistles.
Grinner Hester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > Avid Editing Family