DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Avid Users here? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/38521-avid-users-here.html)

Thomas Wagner January 29th, 2005 09:39 AM

Avid Users here?

I read a lot of posts in this forum of people using Final Cut. I am really astonished about that. In the last years there was a big change in the broadcast industry in germany. A few years ago 90 % of all editors used macīs for editing their stuff. So I do. About two years ago nearly all moved to Intel based Personal Computers mostly using Avid Systems. Can you tell me please what you are using?

Thanks a lot

Thomas from dammed cold Germany

Nico van Tonder January 29th, 2005 10:19 AM

I'm using Windows XP with Adobe Premiere Pro.

Richard Alvarez January 29th, 2005 10:59 AM

Windows XP, Avid XpressPro.

Avid was originally designed for use on Macs. And many older legacy versions still run on them. Avid currently ships with versions for both Mac and PC.

Robin Davies-Rollinson January 29th, 2005 12:18 PM

Windows XP, Avid Xpress DV 3.5
Might consider upgrading to Xpress Pro later, but need to get Sony FX1 first...

Robin

Filip Kovcin January 29th, 2005 12:50 PM

i am using very often two systems -

win xp avid xpress pro 4.3
and
mac g4 FCP

looking for automatic duck to make OMF composition (video) readable on my mac.

filip

Richard Alvarez January 29th, 2005 03:59 PM

FiliP,
You could load your copy of Avid onto the Mac, and use it there, just plug the dongle in.... just a thought. Otherwise, Automatic Duck will get you into FCP.

Christopher Go January 29th, 2005 06:40 PM

Running Avid Xpress Pro on a dual-processor Athlon PC and Windows XP Pro. Avid released the HD version recently and I have been planning on installing that when my monitor suddenly broke! I believe it is power related - just simply refuses to turn on now.

I've been researching a replacement monitor in the meanwhile, probably go with an LCD this time around.

Rick Bravo January 30th, 2005 09:12 PM

Our dinosaur is an AVID Media Composer 4000, still running on a wood-burning Power Mac with removable 9 gig hardrives. But it still works fine!

Our FNGs in the Unit are the AVID Media Composer Adrenaline and AVID Xpress Pro...both running on Windows XP.

http://www.rbravo.com/vsu_equipment.htm

Scroll down to EDITING.

RB

Richard Alvarez January 31st, 2005 09:39 AM

I'm guessing that we "avid heads" are the minority on this board. Just from cursory observation, I'd guess there's at least a vocal majority of Vegas users, followed by Premier, FCP, and about the same number of Avid users as there are "others" IE Liquid, Canopus, Media 100 etc.

Carlos E. Martinez February 1st, 2005 01:21 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Christopher Go : Running Avid Xpress Pro on a dual-processor Athlon PC and Windows XP Pro. Avid released the HD version recently and I have been planning on installing that when my monitor suddenly broke! I believe it is power related - just simply refuses to turn on now.
-->>>

A friend of mine was telling me that apparently Avid is relying more and more on the Mojo for the new capabilities and less and less on the computer it's linked to. Do you feel that too?

Which Xpress version are you running?

Not now, but probably by the end of the year I would like to start working in HDV. So I better assemble my new PC looking at that.

Carlos

Richard Alvarez February 1st, 2005 01:26 PM

I don't know that that's an accurate assesment of the programs abilities. The better your computer, the better the program alone runs. The benefit of Mojo of course, is that it allows more realtime capabilities and some importing features that you can't get on your computer. The mojo, and the other "digital nonlinear accelerators' (DNA) that avid sells, have whats called "progamable field gate arrays" in them. This will allow them to be reprogrammed to make maximum use out of faster and faster computers. So its really a symbiotic relationship between Mojo and your cpu.

John Hampster February 2nd, 2005 09:47 AM

I use Avid Xpress DV 3.5 for personal at home work and FCP HD 4.5 on a G5 at work. I found FCP to be more flexible / user friendly. Also, I hate Media 100 with a passion.

Grinner Hester February 2nd, 2005 03:44 PM

I'm still on symphony v3.1 on NT.
Avid just hasn't offerend many reasons to move beyond this.
I almost broke down and bopught a Nitris last week but just can't justify it's inflated price.
I was juuust about to hop on an 844/X when Media100 got word from above that they will stop getting funding. Bummer.
Xpri still looks good.
I'm gonna demo the new Adrenaline HD on Feb 17th. THe DNxHD technology shows promise. If I can seemlessly work in HDV and SDI on the same timeline with this, I may actually write another check to Avid. If I see any of the old school aliasing I'm so use to seeing with Avid products, I'll have to split early.

Richard Alvarez February 2nd, 2005 04:11 PM

Grinner,

Have you done much work on the Media Composer with Adrenaline? Sweet machine.

Grinner Hester February 2nd, 2005 08:40 PM

not much
I couldt downgrade to adrenaline when it was released. Biggest egg on avid's face that O have seen int the last 15 years.
I hope the HD version is worthy.
I hoped that about v1 too, though.
It's no media composer. I see it as XDV with some added bells n whistles.

Richard Alvarez February 2nd, 2005 09:14 PM

Yeah, With so many different product lines, when they start mixing and matching abilities, it can seem like you either won or lost depending on which version you bought into. I bought XpressDv 3.5 and paid extra for filmscribe and other stuff, they started to give away free later on. It's a tough game.

Grinner Hester October 13th, 2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Alvarez (Post 269693)
Grinner,

Have you done much work on the Media Composer with Adrenaline? Sweet machine.

I have one. It's not a very sweet machine. I would have rathered they just add firewire capabilities to the meridien line. lol
no kidding. It was quite a downgrade from the Symphony I traded in on it. They have not tried hard to compete in a long time.

Tito Haggardt October 13th, 2009 04:14 PM

XP pro
HP8200 work station
media composer
but then again my cell is a razr
aloha
tito

Vito DeFilippo October 13th, 2009 06:04 PM

Xpress pro on an ancient P4, and also on my fairly new Macbook Pro, installed on Windows XP through bootcamp.

James Brill October 16th, 2009 12:22 AM

At my office we have a Mac Pro with leopard running Symphony 3.5.4 with a Nitris DX and a HP 8200 workstation running XP and Symphony 3.5.4 teamed with a Nitris Classic. Personally I like working with the PC more but the Mac is a faster computer and we also have it hooked up to a realllllly fast RAID aside from our Unity that they are both connected to. Plus we have software Avids running on our Final Cut computers and and other various PC's.

Mike Poglitsch October 22nd, 2009 09:52 AM

I have 2 PC Avids, a xw8200 with Adrenaline, and a xw8400 with analog Mojo. Both have paid for themselves many times over.