DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Importing .m2T files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/481015-importing-m2t-files.html)

Philip Howells June 27th, 2010 03:12 PM

Importing .m2T files

I've recently had a problem transferring .m2t files from my Sony MRC1 card recorders. As a result the Sony software didn't do its job properly and I'm left with a number of .m2T files which I can't import into Liquid 7.2. Can anyone explain how I can adjust/change the format of these files so that I can import them into Liquid for editing?

Alternatively is there another way of achieving a solution?

Rob Morse June 27th, 2010 08:03 PM

Have you tried opening it with any other program. If so, did it work? Liquid opens a lot of formats. Sometimes you can try changing the extension.

Philip Howells June 27th, 2010 11:47 PM

I tried letting Liquid import the .m2t files but it imported about 12 of 62 - right now I'm using TMPGenc4 to re-encode the files as HDV2 .mpg files which definitely import into Liquid. So far it's taken 8 hours to encode 8 of 62 files - they could be short or long files, I think the latter. That's on a quad core i5 machine with 8Mb of RAM. My biggest concern is that TMPGenc is fixed encoding in CBR at 25000kb/s which seems to be very much lower than the resolution I'd normally expect. I may interrupt the process at the end of the current clip and try changing the extension as you suggest.

Rob Morse June 28th, 2010 01:27 PM

Strange. I have had that a couple of times myself but it's never been more than 1 file. That's why I still use a tape for backup and archive. I've had to go to the tape on a couple of occasions. By the way, in that scenario I don't think changing the extension will work.

Philip Howells June 28th, 2010 08:52 PM

Rob, I checked that one clip would work when re-encoded and then did the same with the remaining 62 clips. The job took almost 19 hours but at least I now have all the clips editable in Liquid.

Our next wedding is on Saturday and I think we're going to take what is a regressive step and run tape simultaneously. Provided the clips import correctly I guess we'll run bars and tone on to the tapes and re-use them but I'm loathe to do this too many times otherwise I fear we'll lose confidence in the security!

Philip Howells July 5th, 2010 01:47 PM

Further to my previous:

I extract the files from the CF cards via the supplied (downloaded) Sony software, then import that media into Liquid 7.2. Of 136 files extracted only 21 made it into the Liquid Rack. Furthermore they end up in sequences and not Imported media as before. Can someone tell me what I've done wrong. The media management drive info is correct.

Rob Morse July 5th, 2010 06:03 PM

Philip, maybe you need a clean install of Liquid. I've had to do that a few times over the years. Sometimes another piece of software does something to it. It doesn't make sense that it wouldn't import that many files. Have you tried brining in those clips randomly one by one? There may be 1 or 2 that are stopping the import process. Try dragging them into the rack.

Philip Howells July 5th, 2010 07:08 PM

Rob, thanks for the suggestion. It's an almost clean install anyway but I like the idea of importing them singly. I can't just drag them because Liquid has to separate them into .m2v and WAV.

Philip Howells July 5th, 2010 07:30 PM

Excellent suggestion Rob. I just imported the first 12 clips and all went in correctly. I opened a folder called Imported Media and after the next clip Liquid remembered it should have such a folder and opened it. Now if I can only find out why the odd clip won't import I'm happy.

Rob Morse July 5th, 2010 08:37 PM

Like I had mentioned earlier, I had a couple of problems with clips not working on a couple of projects but never more than 1 at a time. I really don't know why. Something intermittent like a dropout but corrupts the whole clip.

Rob Morse July 5th, 2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Howells (Post 1545539)
I can't just drag them because Liquid has to separate them into .m2v and WAV.

Use the Sony utility program, put them in a folder, open it up and drag the files into Liquid. I do it all the time. Or am I missing something?

Philip Howells July 9th, 2010 10:54 AM

Rob, presumably Liquid still has to strip the audio and video out of the .m2t files?

Devin Termini July 17th, 2010 04:27 PM

Can Liquid play nice with Avid DNxHD files?

If so then use MPEGStreamclip to transcode the files into DNxHD.