DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Files from EX1R into Liquid 7.2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/485330-files-ex1r-into-liquid-7-2-a.html)

Philip Howells September 26th, 2010 01:28 PM

Files from EX1R into Liquid 7.2

We're planning to upgrade from Z1s with MRC1K recorders to EX1Rs. May I ask a couple of questions for your advice?

1 Are there any issues with the importation of files recorded at 35Mbps into Liquid? I'm not anxious to upgrade to MC which is far too sophisticated for our needs.

2 Are there any workflow issues we should be aware of?

Many thanks

Richard Spanswick September 29th, 2010 01:04 PM

Philip,

Greetings from Oregon - small world, isn't it?.

I'm currently using the JVC GY-HM700 which records XDCAM EX files. Thus far, all my work has been using the .mov wrapper in Final Cut, but I have a Liquid system as well. In response to your post, and because I've been meaning to check it out, I've been trying to import/play the MP4 files in Liquid but am running into a couple of problems with sound and some visual artifacts. The same MP4s log and transfer fine into FCP on the Mac, but there's something slightly odd going on in the PC. Other people have reported that the EX1 works fine with Liquid, so perhaps there's a slight difference in the JVC implementation, but I doubt it, as the Sony Clip Browser software recognizes and handles the JVC EX clips without a problem. I suspect that the problem lies in the way my PC/software is configured. If I manage to resolve the issues, I'll report back.

One thing you do have to do is convert the files to MXF prior to importing them into Liquid. I'd be inclined to get hold of some test clips from an EX1 and try them out on your system, just to be sure.

Richard

Philip Howells September 29th, 2010 04:51 PM

Richard, how good to hear from you and thanks for your very helpful response. What a surprise. I won't clog up the forum with personal stuff but will PM you later. Suffice to say that in January 2011 JB and I are planning to merge our respective wedding businesses into Moving Pictures - he chose the name. I hope your ears burn occasionally; like all men in their 60's we tend to speak more about the past than is good for us!

Chris Medico September 29th, 2010 07:51 PM

Files from the EX1r work fine in Liquid. You MUST use v2.0 of the clip browser to export the files to MXF and import into liquid. Liquid will not recognize the audio from clip browser v2.6.

Richard Spanswick September 29th, 2010 08:24 PM

Chris, have you tried all EX1r formats? I'm managing to play 720p, 1440x1080 and 1920x1080 30p OK in Liquid. However, for some reason 1920x1080 60i seems to have a problem. I'm wondering if the fact that my system is an older Pentium D 3.4 GHz is causing the 1080i bottleneck - or if I've missed a setting in Liquid.

I just installed Clip Browser 2.6 and my audio is importing without a problem now!

Philip, nice to hear back from you - and good luck with Moving Pictures! Give JB our regards.

Chris Medico September 29th, 2010 08:53 PM

I haven't tried 60i. I'll have to do that and see what happens.

I did install the improved presets you can read about here - Error