DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   BR-HD50 & Avid Xpress Pro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/75701-br-hd50-avid-xpress-pro.html)

Shaun Wilson September 17th, 2006 09:54 PM

BR-HD50 & Avid Xpress Pro

While I'm pretty sure this is possible from what I've read in the official places, reality often differs to such information. I'm wondering if I can use the BR-HD50 to downconvert 720p25 to 25p and capture it in a 25p (NOT 25i) project in Xpress Pro 5.5.

If you haven't guessed this is so once Xpress Pro finally supports 720p25 I can just capture the HD media and relink my sequences to save re-cutting. This will only work if I can capture the media in a progressive project to allow switching the project to 720p25. However I've only be able to capture my HD101's 25p in to a 25i project (unsurprising as it's progressive hiding in an interlaced format).

Anyone managed to do this?

Antony Michael Wilson September 18th, 2006 04:39 AM

Yes, I've captured HDV1 25fps into a 25p project on Xpress Pro from the BRHD50. I'm working on the material right now. I'm not sure I really understand your problem, though. What exactly doesn't work?

Shaun Wilson September 18th, 2006 05:15 PM

Well if that works - great. I just wanted to make sure before I go and rent/buy one...

The problem is making sure I'm cutting in a progressive project to be able to easily switch to a 720p25 project once Avid finally supports that resolution (rumour is December but I need to be cutting before then)

Jiri Bakala September 18th, 2006 05:24 PM

Well, I am in the NTSC world and I am currently working on HDV1 material shot at 720/30P. My problem is how to get the video OUT; delivery to DVD and mastering back to HDV through the HD50 deck. What's your experience/workflow Anthony?

Antony Michael Wilson September 19th, 2006 03:26 AM

Hi Jiri and Shaun

1. I captured SD component through the mojo into AXPro 25p. The signal input works fine but I'm sure you know about the firmware/RS422/deck template and TC accuracy issues...

2. Jiri - I'm not sure I can be much help to you, really. We're using AXPro for offline and we'll use a Symphony Nitris for finishing uncompressed and then master to HDCAM (1080/25PsF, of course). To conform, we can either use a HDV-HDSDI converter into the Symph or do it as data transcodes in the offline. I haven't finished testing these methods so I don't want to publish them here. Please message me offline if you're interested. Elements of our process could help you, I think - you'd be able to conform your offline timeline with DNx180 (1080p) and then create you DVD and HDV masters from there.

As to DVD with Avid - I have consistently found that it is best to ignore Avid's own multimedia transcoding capability and Sorensen Squeeze (which they bundle with the Studio setup). I usually export a QT ref and transcode to mpeg2 using ProCoder - much better results.

Shaun Wilson September 19th, 2006 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson
1. I captured SD component through the mojo into AXPro 25p. The signal input works fine but I'm sure you know about the firmware/RS422/deck template and TC accuracy issues...

Ah. I don't have a Mojo, I was hoping the BR-HD50 could give me 25p over FireWire. I figure this is the only way to keep timecode properly intact anyway...