DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Avid Editing Family (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/)
-   -   Work flow with Avid Liquid 7.1 needed (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/avid-editing-family/82636-work-flow-avid-liquid-7-1-needed.html)

Jonathan Porter December 28th, 2006 05:42 AM

Work flow with Avid Liquid 7.1 needed

G'day, could someone who is using Avid Liquid PRO and the JVC HD101 offer me some advice on a good workflow in Avid Liquid PRO for final delivery to DVD. I have the latest version 7.1, plus a dedicated DVD authoring program (Adobe Encore 2.0) using an E6600 core duo with 2 megs of ram, 2 x 320 Gig HDD in raidO with a 10000 WD Raptor system drive and a nVidia 256 Meg 7800XFX GPU.

For instance should I edit on a 16:9 SD timeline? or on a 1280x720 timeline? Is there a way to preview out to a monitor for colour correction through the break out box?

Also what plug in's are there available for Avid Liquid? eg After FX etc

Thanks in advance.

JP

PS sorry if the question seems more Avid Liquid related, I do have the JVC cam and need that advice more than the latter.

Ian Broadbent December 29th, 2006 07:22 PM

Hi Johnathon,

I personally do everyhing in AVID liquid 7.1 on a HD timeline then output to dvd with the built in Authoring program. Bear in mind I am still learning and Avid is the only software I have cos it came with the camera. The results so far are good for me.

The only real problem I have suffered from is using smarttrack music, but usually find a way round it

Cheers n beers

Ian

Tim Dashwood December 29th, 2006 07:53 PM

Search for posts by Stephen L. Noe. He is the resident Liquid expert, and I'm sure has already posted exactly what you are looking for.

Stephen L. Noe December 29th, 2006 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Porter
G'day, could someone who is using Avid Liquid PRO and the JVC HD101 offer me some advice on a good workflow in Avid Liquid PRO for final delivery to DVD. I have the latest version 7.1, plus a dedicated DVD authoring program (Adobe Encore 2.0) using an E6600 core duo with 2 megs of ram, 2 x 320 Gig HDD in raidO with a 10000 WD Raptor system drive and a nVidia 256 Meg 7800XFX GPU.

For instance should I edit on a 16:9 SD timeline? or on a 1280x720 timeline? Is there a way to preview out to a monitor for colour correction through the break out box?

Also what plug in's are there available for Avid Liquid? eg After FX etc

Thanks in advance.

JP

PS sorry if the question seems more Avid Liquid related, I do have the JVC cam and need that advice more than the latter.

Hi Johnathon,

Chris has herded (pun) all of the Liquid post into a special section available on DVinfo.net called "Avid Editing". There, you'll find a LOT of information as well as many of my tutorials in video format.

Click here for Avid Editing on DVinfo.net.

Most of your questions are already answered in the threads.

Enjoy your holidays,

Stephen

Jonathan Porter December 30th, 2006 04:21 AM

Thanks for the info, and happy holidays to you all too.

JP

Stephen L. Noe January 22nd, 2007 09:22 PM

Jonathan, did you get your workflow issues figured out? I hear you've been rubbing elbows with Paul Mitton.

Jonathan Porter February 23rd, 2007 03:41 PM

Hello Stephen sorry about the lateness of the reply, I ended up having a major issue with Liquid doing wierd things with colour correction so had to abandon the software for my latest project (am now using Edius), it seems there is a problem with my MOBO and Liquid (Asus P5B-E) which has been confirmed by others.

Had a great time with Paul during his stay here. Am flat out with an edit at the moment but once things settle down will invest some time into trying to find out what was causing the problem with Liquid (look into an ATI card etc).

JP

Brian Ladue March 3rd, 2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Porter (Post 630941)
Hello Stephen sorry about the lateness of the reply, I ended up having a major issue with Liquid doing wierd things with colour correction so had to abandon the software for my latest project (am now using Edius), it seems there is a problem with my MOBO and Liquid (Asus P5B-E) which has been confirmed by others.

Had a great time with Paul during his stay here. Am flat out with an edit at the moment but once things settle down will invest some time into trying to find out what was causing the problem with Liquid (look into an ATI card etc).

JP

Jonathan, how is it editing with Edius?

Jack Walker March 4th, 2007 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ladue (Post 635435)
Jonathan, how is it editing with Edius?

Yes, how is Edius working? And which version are you using and do you have the NX (or other) board?

Jonathan Porter April 15th, 2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Walker (Post 635771)
Yes, how is Edius working? And which version are you using and do you have the NX (or other) board?

Sorry for the delay in replying, it seems like only yesterday I was in here answering Stephens question and next thing I know its been 11 days since I last dropped by.

I am enjoying Edius so far, the stability and handling of different frame rates etc (working on a 720P timeline with a lot of 1080i thrown in) is probably the best thing. I also managed to find the cash to upgrade to the NX board and have found it to be brilliant for CC ect, am working with 720P HDV material but will be delivering to SD DVD.

JP

post edit...... make that 36 days, man where have I been......???? Twilight zone maybe ?????