DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Awake In The Dark (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/)
-   -   Movie Talk - What do you like? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/awake-dark/4134-movie-talk-what-do-you-like.html)

Alexander McLeod October 11th, 2002 10:14 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : <<<-- Originally posted by DocuWild : MM.. favourite movies/directors...
Akira Kurosawa - The master, what can i say. He almost (re)wrote the book on dramatic storytelling. Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Ran, Yojimbo, Sanjuro. All schoolbook examples of how to tell a compelling and action packed story.
/Henrik -->>>

My favourite director of all time. Not only did he direct lavish samurai pictures such as the ones you mentioned but he also directed some of the best pictures set in the post-war Japanese period. IKURU is one of the finest movies ever made and really one of the most meaningful films to me. It's always a toss up to me which is the best picture, RASHOMON or IKURU.

I love RASHOMON and all of the others but

I first saw IKURU many years ago. It was the first Japanese film I ever saw that brought me to tears. Takashi Shimura was superb and, of course, Kurosawa used him in a number of films. Donald Richie has much to say about Kurosawa (and Takashi), as do others, but Takashi in the swing at the end of the film still stays in my mind. You don't have to understand Japanese to understand that scene.
Sandy

Keith Loh October 11th, 2002 11:38 PM

Takashi Shimamura on the swing

Absolutely, that scene is one of the most enduring in cinema.

Kurosawa really has excellent endings in his films.

DRUNKEN ANGEL - the climbing crane shot after the Toshiro Mifune character has burst out of the door and dangles on the balcony.

The blind brother of Sue in RAN tapping cautiously at the edge of the cliff.

The bodies floating down the red river after the battle of Nagashino in KAGEMUSHA.

The crazed lord being peppered by dozens of arrows in THRONE OF BLOOD.

The kidnapper screaming his frustration at the rich industrialist in HIGH AND LOW.

Jeff Donald October 12th, 2002 12:04 AM

The Seventh Seal by Ingmar Bergman

Possibly my favorite film. Regarded by many as the finest film ever made. Certainly Berman's finest. Who else could have a medieval knight (a young Max von Sydow) playing chess with Death. Filmed in B & W, it's the story of a knight journeying through Europe during the Black Plague. It can be very depressing because of the subject matter, but if you look deeper it gives a message of hope through faith. Death can be seen as a joy because of the release from suffering.

Even if you watch it just for the technical aspects you'll enjoy it. Berman's use of B & W and control of the light and shadows is amazing. Beautifully photographed and easy to see why it's considered Berman's finest.

Jeff

Keith Loh October 12th, 2002 01:46 PM

Yes, the SEVENTH SEAL is another classic and I'm proud to own the excellent Criterion DVD. Anyone who collects DVDs will be astounded by the quality of the B/W transfer on this one.

I like repeating the story of the end shot of the SEVENTH SEAL which everyone thinks of when the film is mentioned. This is the shot of the travellers being lead, hands linked, by Death on the ridge while the light breaks through the clouds above them. This classic shot was actually hurriedly composed by Bergman and unplanned. They saw the light and the scene and quickly crafted that now enduring image. Lovely.

I've screencapped that shot here:
http://www.keithloh.com/video/screencap/films/seventhseal.jpg

mr cameraman November 13th, 2002 05:40 PM

My most recent favorites over the past couple of years are:

What Lies Beaneath
The Mothman Prophecies
Dragonfly
Panic Room
John Q
The Glass House
The Sixth Sense

There are more. When I think of them I'll post them.

Mark Moore November 20th, 2002 11:47 AM

Favorite Movie

That's a tough one. For me, it's like asking, who's your favorite: your wife, your mother, your kids, your mother-in-law . . . well, maybe we'll just stop with the kids.

Recently (last two years or so) :

Road to Perdition (which I think is/was the best movie so far this year, IMHO)
Sixth Sense
Billy Elliot (which I found extremely entertaining)
Both Harry Potter Movies (but I'm a HP fan, so . . .)
Saving Private Ryan (reminded me of my dad - he was in the 101st)

Of the older 'classics' that I will force myself to watch, over and over . . .

(Especially around this time of the year) White Christmas - it has campy humour, good songs, middle school conflict and a happy ending!
Rio Bravo (I really like westerns - and Walter Brennan should have won the best supporting Oscar here - maybe he did - also great song, 'My Pony, My Rifle and Me')
The Searchers (John Wayne at his MEANEST - did I mention I like westerns?)
Witness for the Prosecution (I also like court-room dramas)
Twelve Angry Men (One of my favorites!). I read that they shot most of it to look crowded, hot and uncomfortable. Good job too.

I'm sure there are dozens of other films, but I'm drawing a blank! It's 15 minutes before lunch and my mind is elsewhere!

Keith Loh November 20th, 2002 12:00 PM

Re: Favorite Movie

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Moore : That's a tough one. For The Searchers (John Wayne at his MEANEST - did I mention I like westerns?)
-->>>

I think Wayne was his meanest in RED RIVER.

Mark Moore November 20th, 2002 03:07 PM

You might be right there. But I liked THE SEARCHERS better than RR!

Paul Sedillo November 20th, 2002 04:05 PM

Re: Favorite Movie

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Moore : Road to Perdition (which I think is/was the best movie so far this year, IMHO)

-->>>

I could not agree more. If Paul Newman does not get Best Supporting Actor from the Academy, it would be a HUGE injustice. IMHO it was his best work ever.

Mark Moore November 20th, 2002 06:05 PM

I liked all aspects of this movie: the music (I love the soundtrack!), the lighting, the camera work, all of the actors' work, the DP (Conrad Hall). I guess since it was (IMHO) a slow spring/summer for decent movies, this one just slammed me against the wall. I even like the website (www.roadtoperdition.com ). It has the complete soundtrack listed (though you can't 'save' it, it's there for listening pleasure!

I thought Hanks turned in a great performance (as well as Newman) and Tyler Hoechlein (sp? - the son) did a great job too.

This is great board to post to, as most people are very tolerant of varying opinions, but most "movie boards" blather on about obscure indies, etc. I think some of that work is good too, but they are less tolerant of more main-stream cinema.

I know I'll run a bit of a risk stating this, but I think Hanks is one of the best actors out there today (which could be an unpopular opinion), but it's mine none-the-less! I hope this movie (without yet seeing any of the other Oscar potentials) wins many awards!

Paul Sedillo November 20th, 2002 06:15 PM

No doubt that Hanks is one of the top actors at it today. There was a great article in American Cinematographer that talked with Conard Hall about the movie. A great read if you have not seen it.

Edward Norton is another cat who is off the charts. He has been delivering since he hit the scene.

Mark Moore November 20th, 2002 10:08 PM

I like EN also. I think the first time I saw him (at least the first time I remember him) was with Richard Gere in a movie that escapes me. Was it PRIMAL FEAR? I can't remember.

I read the book also. It was about a teenage boy who was on trial for the murder of a priest/preacher and Gere was the lawyer who gets him off (found innocent!).

I thought he was really good in that. He was also good in American X and that 'heist' movie with DeNiro - that name escapes me also.

One of my favorite shows to watch is INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO. I've seen Hanks on that (as well as many others). I would like to see Edward Norton interviewed (if he hasn't been already).

I think my favorite interview on that show was Ron Howard (another personal favorite).

Paul Sedillo November 21st, 2002 05:31 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Moore : One of my favorite shows to watch is INSIDE THE ACTORS STUDIO. I've seen Hanks on that (as well as many others). I would like to see Edward Norton interviewed (if he hasn't been already).
-->>>

Who carries this program, I have not heard of it.

Jeff Donald November 21st, 2002 05:41 AM

It's carried on BRAVO and there lineup is

60 min. ¥ 11/23/02 7:00 PM
Harrison Ford
Harrison Ford lends insight into his life and craft in a candid interview with host James Lipton.

60 min. ¥ 11/24/02 11:00 AM
Robert De Niro
Acting, says Robert De Niro, is Ònot about neuroses or playing on your neuroses. It's about character.Ó

60 min. ¥ 11/24/02 8:00 PM
Pierce Brosnan
Clips from ÒGoldenEyeÓ and ÒThe Thomas Crown AffairÓ complement an interview with Pierce Brosnan, who discusses playing James Bond and his work on TV's ÒRemington SteeleÓ (ÒI kind of just played myself,Ó he says of the Steele role). Also: Brosnan reflects on his childhood in Ireland and England. James Lipton hosts.

60 min. ¥ 11/30/02 7:00 PM
Meryl Streep
Meryl Streep talks about her career, including a pivotal performance in drama class at Vassar; and helping write her lines for the courtroom scene in "Kramer vs. Kramer." Also: her films "Sophie's Choice," "Out of Africa," "Dancing at Lughnasa."

60 min. ¥ 12/1/02 11:00 AM
Dennis Quaid
Dennis Quaid, star of ÒGreat Balls of FireÓ and ÒThe Right Stuff,Ó discusses his life and craft in an interview with host James Lipton.

60 min. ¥ 12/1/02 8:00 PM
Richard Gere
Richard Gere, star of ÒAn Officer and a GentlemanÓ and ÒPretty Woman,Ó discusses his ascent to silver-screen stardom with host James Lipton.

60 min. ¥ 12/1/02 11:00 PM
Hugh Grant
Hugh Grant, star of ÒNotting HillÓ and ÒFour Weddings and a Funeral,Ó sheds light on his life, craft and career in an interview with host James Lipton.

Some of the shows repeat so check you local listings.

Jeff

Mark Moore November 21st, 2002 07:02 AM

Thanks Jeff. I've seen the Quaid, Ford and Gere shows, but not the others. Thanks for the info.

I've watched many actors on this show and have a pre-conceived notion on each one before seeing them. Then as I am watching, I usually find out that I'm way off base in my opinions . . . most of the time!