Judy. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old October 14th, 2019, 09:55 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Judy.

My 2 married daughters saw the Wizard of Oz when they were little kids but today, neither can recall Judy Garland being in it.

So yesterday when we saw ‘Judy’ starring Renee Zellweger, my wife and I knew the older generation would comprise the majority of the audience.

Lining up to enter the Cremorne Orpheum, the crowd from the previous session was coming out and they’d all been crying.

I won’t do the spoiler alert thing, except to say that at the 2020 Oscars when Ms. Zellweger walks out to accept the best actress award, she’ll receive a standing ovation.

Then when the audience settles down and the place is quiet, in a soft voice unaccompanied she’ll sing ...

‘Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high ...’

Then from the audience, the 2 guys from the film will stand up and sing ...

‘There’s a land, once that I heard of, once in a lullaby ...’

Then the audience will join them to sing the rest of the that famous song, and cry like we all did yesterday.

Judy Garland was 47 when she died.
Old October 15th, 2019, 08:00 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Judy.

Allan, many thanks for the heads-up, I wasn't even aware of this film. Because of your post I'll definitely see it now.

My mother's side of the family were all big fans of hers. I've always thought it was such a shame how MGM treated her so horribly.

Here she is at 21 years of age... from a different era.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2020, 03:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hey Chris, thanks for posting that clip, all analogue recording, wonderful!

Did you see the Golden Globes, where Renee Zellweger won best actress, drama, for Judy.

She made a great acceptance speech, saying in part, her manager always tells her to “Turn up on time and do the work” That line would resonate with all actors watching around the world.

I think her acting career started in junior school. With her surname starting with the last letter in the alphabet, she was last in line for everything, the last bottle of milk, all of it. So she learnt to diversify and started acting.

I also think she’s on her way to winning the Oscar, the BAFTA and everything going. She’ll be one of the very few to win all 3 in the same year.

Cheers.
Old January 8th, 2020, 04:26 PM   #4
Major Player

And a little late, but it remains a classic:

Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 07:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Cary, thanks for posting those, wonderful. No digital, no overdubs, no autotune. All analogue and all in the studio together, one or two run throughs, one or two takes then on to the next one or over to the pub. Magic.

We’re not in Kansas any more. Today you’ve got to be alert and stay awake while they twist, turn, bend and screw your new hit into shape and even then it’s not guaranteed.

Hey, another person in Renee Zellwegers class at school was probably Mark Zuckerberg, and look how he turned out.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; January 10th, 2020 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Facebook!
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2020, 08:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Wizard of Oz is one of those special magical movies for me and Judy is in the center of it. I only much later in life saw her other movies and learned about her troubled life similar to Marylin Monroe.

I haven’t seen the film but I have this aversion to Renee Zellweger how she disfigured her face with all that plastic surgery. Probably the combination insecurities and Hollywoods pressure on woman to look young and beautiful lead to it. I imagine that tragedy made her that much better for the role... Not sure I want to see it even it’s an Oscar winning performance. Who knows maybe i’ll change my mind.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 02:53 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Ms. Zellweger joined others in sending their condolences to the people of Oz. who’d lost their homes, businesses, schools and even their lives, in the worst bushfires in Australia’s history.
Old January 11th, 2020, 03:05 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I haven’t seen the film but I have this aversion to Renee Zellweger how she disfigured her face with all that plastic surgery. Probably the combination insecurities and Hollywoods pressure on woman to look young and beautiful lead to it. I imagine that tragedy made her that much better for the role... Not sure I want to see it even it’s an Oscar winning performance. Who knows maybe i’ll change my mind.
As many others will too I imagine Pete. But this thread is about her acting not her facial work. She’s had 7 Golden Globe nominations won 3 so this is her 4th win for Judy. And she did all the vocal work too, that’s very hard to stay inside the character.

“Turn up on time and do the work” No matter what pain you feel, how you’re feeling on the day, that line works.

Cheers.
Old January 11th, 2020, 03:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
As many others will too I imagine Pete. But this thread is about her acting not her facial work.
A case of do as I say not do as I do?

Quote:
Ms. Zellweger joined others in sending their condolences to the people of Oz. who’d lost their homes, businesses, schools and even their lives, in the worst bushfires in Australia’s history.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2020, 04:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
As many others will too I imagine Pete. But this thread is about her acting not her facial work. She’s had 7 Golden Globe nominations won 3 so this is her 4th win for Judy. And she did all the vocal work too, that’s very hard to stay inside the character.

“Turn up on time and do the work” No matter what pain you feel, how you’re feeling on the day, that line works.

Cheers.
I don’t have a problem with her and respect her acting and singing. I really enjoyed her in Chicago. I’m just freaked out by the plastic surgery. She’s unrecognizable to me.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2020, 08:54 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Gotcha Pete. Ms. Zellweger has won the 2020 Critics Choice Award for best actress drama, her 4th CCA win.

Cheers.
Old January 19th, 2020, 09:31 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Another one. R.Z. just won the 2020, 26th Screen Actors Guild Award, for ‘Female Actor in a Leading Role.’
It’s her 4th win and 6th nomination.

Interestingly, the movie Judy hasn’t even been nominated in the best movie category, in any of this seasons award shows, so far.

Cheers.
Old February 1st, 2020, 12:55 AM   #13
Inner Circle

I’ll continue with my predictions and say that next Monday Feb. 3 local, at the 2020 U.K EE BAFTA awards, Renee Zellweger will win the award for ‘Leading Actress’ and the following Monday Feb. 10 local, at the 2020 Oscars, she’ll win for ‘Best performance by an actress in a Leading Role.’

A clean sweep and probably a record for the Guinness Book. Judy Garland would have loved it.

As they say, don’t be an actor if you want to be an actor, be an actor if you need to be an actor.

Cheers.
Old March 29th, 2020, 01:45 PM   #14
Inner Circle

As we know Ms. Zellweger did win those 2 categories. Today she probably can’t get out her front door for the boxes of new scripts blocking the driveway. Probably not a bad thing considering the present virus situation.

Creativity: One good edit can make your day, there are people working behind desks in the city who’ll never experience anything like that.

Cheers.
Old February 7th, 2021, 09:58 PM   #15
Inner Circle

One year later and there’s one more award, Renee Zellweger’s ‘Judy’ is being nominated for, a 2021 Grammy, to be announced on March 14 in L.A.

7. Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album
For albums containing at least 51% playing time of new traditional pop recordings.

BLUE UMBRELLA
(Burt Bacharach &) Daniel Tashian

TRUE LOVE: A CELEBRATION OF COLE PORTER
Harry Connick, Jr.

AMERICAN STANDARD
James Taylor

UNFOLLOW THE RULES
Rufus Wainwright

JUDY
Renée Zellweger

With some solid competition, she’s last on the list. If she wins this it’ll really be a clean sweep.

And for the very first time in the history of the Grammy Awards, every nominee for Best Rock Performance and Best Country Album is a woman, or a group fronted by a woman. My 2 young granddaughters love that.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark